Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / root problem/1/4" aluminum v-groove
- - By suds Date 03-30-2010 05:11
I am currently welding 1/4" aluminum plate with tig in verticle v-groove, the problem is either not enough penatration or globing out the back. Any suggestions? Thanx in advance, Suds
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 03-31-2010 05:09
Sounds like not enough heat. What's your set up? I've been welding 3/8" plate. The material must be CLEAN and I preheat the hell out of it and try to keep the piece isolated from anything that will allow the aluminum to dissipate the heat. When I'm done with the connection the entire piece is roasting hot. I'm running a Miller ac/dc buzz box (225 amp) with a high frequency converter.  Frankly, I should be using a bigger power source, but I'm making it work. I have an engine driven machine with enough snort but I'd cook my torch. If I had the luxury of more juice/water cooled torch, my procedure wouldn't be so antiquated. Heat, baby, heat.

Jon
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 03-31-2010 12:20
I have run a 1" test plate 3G and sounds like you just need to find the right amount of heat and keep it consistent.  Then just keep pushing the rod though, it will be tough to see but you will have to just practice and get comfortable with it.  I think I was using about 200 amps and make sure to clean your groove and even your filler with something like alcohol.  I would even have a stack of cleaned pieces of rod next to me so I can keep the arc going and grab some so I don't have a start/stop.
Parent - By suds Date 04-03-2010 18:04
Thanks for the feedback, I am using a Miller Dynasty 200. I guess it'll just take some more practice. Both suggestions will help, Keep Em Burnin, Suds
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / root problem/1/4" aluminum v-groove