Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Rotator problem
- - By peterb Date 04-01-2010 08:18
Job is welding 2 tubes together each already having a longitudinal weld.
When using rotators with sub arc to deposit the joining circumferencial weld, we're finding that the 2 longitudinal welds (one in each tube), cause uneven weld metal depostion due to the cap of the welds riding over the roller wheels. Must be an easy answer but this Welding Engineer doesn't know it. Help.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-01-2010 17:58
we grind those areas of concern (flush)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-01-2010 23:32
ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :) "Must be an easy answer but this Welding Engineer doesn't know it." Too friggin funny Mike!!! :) :) :)
Must be one of those Ohio State Grads!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 04-02-2010 03:00
Hopefully imported from Michigan!
Parent - By Flash Date 04-03-2010 05:10
I am with Mike grind them flat
R
Flash
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-12-2010 19:33
Michigan doesn't export sub-par welding engineers.  Some how I managed to make it through the cracks though.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-12-2010 19:31
cheap answer is to grind the welds flush at the area (or if that is not possible) tack on a ring of the same Diameter. Or chuch off the ID as mentioned. i'm not sure what type of positioner you're using but our is a chuch so we would just chuck around the welds and have no drive wheels touching the pipe.

The expensive answer is to use a AVC an automatic voltage control so that standoff height is adjusted on the fly to be uniform on the part. That's how we do it with Semi auto gtaw where torch stand off distance is very critical.
- By scott davis 3 (*) Date 04-03-2010 05:33
Any way to chuck it from I.D.?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Rotator problem