Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / WELDER QUALIFICATION
- - By SAJIKUMAR KUMAR Date 04-02-2010 19:22
ONE QUALIFIED WPS STATES GTAW+SMAW, WELDING PFOGRESSION IS GTAW UPHILL AND OTHER PASSES SMAW DOWNHILL.AS PER THIS WPS CAN I DO FOR WQT WELDING PROGRESSION ALL UPHILL? ACCORDING TO SECTION 1X WELDING PROGRESSION IS NONESSENTIAL.PLEASE REPLY .
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2010 23:05
If its is specifically written in the WPS, then that is the progression one shall work to. ;) If not, then one can weld either way. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-04-2010 23:50
GTAW and SMAW DH. Now there is a new one on me.
Are you sure the WPS says DH only or does it state UH or DH?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-05-2010 13:06
DH SMAW over GTAW would be unusual, though I've seen, and welded, a great deal of what is technically downhill GTAW when doing roll outs and the weld location is more than 15 deg from top dead center.
In fact, the faster and more accomplished welders were running GTAW roots at approximately the 10:00 position on the pipe.
I've even run downhill in the 9:00-8:00 range when autogenously repairing excessive penetration. Sometimes even dragging the torch backwards. Its easier when watching for the puddle swirl and metal breakdown through the gap to the backside.
- By Rogers Karr Date 04-05-2010 21:43
You are correct that a change in progression from uphill to downhill or downhill to uphill is not an essential variable for a WPS. However, it is an essential variable for welder performance qualification in both the GTAW and SMAW processes. See QW-353, QW-356, QW-416 and QW-405.3.

In regards to changing a nonessential variable on the WPS; i.e. downhill progression to uphill progression, see QW-200.1(c)

"QW-200.1(c) Changes to the WPS. Changes may be made in the nonessential variables of a WPS to suit production requirements without requalification provided such changes are documented with respect to the essential, nonessential, and, when required, supplementary essential variables for each process. This may be by amendment to the WPS or by use of a new WPS."

This appears to be the simple solution to your question. Amend the existing WPS or write a new WPS using the existing PQR and give the new or amended WPS to the welder for use during welder qualification.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / WELDER QUALIFICATION