Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Steel Inspector ???
- - By BCSORT (*) Date 07-14-2002 17:56
Is there such a thing as an AWS Certified Steel Inspector?

I have heard of an ICBO Structural Steel Inspector but not from the AWS.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-23-2002 15:05
As far as I know (but I might be wrong) it exists the Certified Welding Inspector (CWI), who is qualified to inspect all weldings, whether in structural steel, piping, vessels etc.
If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By WBI (*) Date 08-01-2002 14:34
There is a big difference between a CWI and a Steel Inspector. A steel inspector must know welding, bolting or riveting requirements, demensional properties, material identification and testing procedures, plan reading and construction methods. The ICBO test covers AWS, AISC, and Building Code as well as plan reading of a multi-story steel framed building. I've met CWI's that were hell-on-wheels at welding but couldn't understand what was happening to the finished product.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-01-2002 21:36
Thank you for your explanation. Now, could you explain to me what does ICBO mean? Thanks again
Giovanni
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-02-2002 04:44
International Conference of Building Officials.

www.icbo.org

Publisher of a widely used building code at least in the US.

Regards

Bill
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-13-2002 20:52
I conclude then that there are two different professionals when erecting a structural steel frame: the Certified Welding Inspector, qualified by AWS, who inspects the welds quality; and the Structural Steel Inspector , qualified by ICBO, who inspects (if on the client's side) or supervises (if on the contractor's side), all phases of the structural steel erection, from initial planning to completion. Am I right?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By WBI (*) Date 08-16-2002 13:33
Close Giovanni, but not quite. The ICBO certified inspector is technically an employee of the building owner and is under the supervision of the designer. An ICBO SSW (Structural Steel & Welding) inspector is not involved in the planning or design of a building, but is responsible for assuring that work involving the fabrication and erection of structural steel is completed according to the design and any applicable building codes. As an inspector the SSW observes those areas of work whithin his scope of responsibility and reports to the engineer or architect when the work is acceptable or rejected.

ICBO refers to the AWS codes for all welding applications but also refers to the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) Steel Construction Manual for other elements of steel frame construction. Another publication by the American Iron & Steel Institute (AISI) is referenced for light weight and sheet steel materials used in cold formed elements.

To qualify for ICBO certification, the inspector must be familiar with AWS D1.1, D1.3, D1.4, the AISC and AISI manuals, be able to read steel framing plans and know when to apply each to a particular case. Because of the broad range of work covered by this classification there may be several SSW inspectors on a single job. Generally among them is a supervising inspector or, as in Los Angeles, the SSW also reports to an inspector representing the city or jurisdiction.

It took me many years to understand all of this. Just as in all trades, it takes experience to grasp all the complexities of the job.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-16-2002 20:54
Thank you for the thorough explanation. One learns something new every day.
Giovanni
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Steel Inspector ???