Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Continuity Logs
- - By weld7320 (*) Date 04-09-2010 16:31
I've recently taken over a QC dept. only to find a mess with continuity logs.  We have welders going back to the 70's working here.  I have their original test documents but there are no continuity logs all the way up to 2001.  Does anyone know how I can avoid retesting all of these welders who started prior to this recordkeeping.  I may be able to verify through job assignments but this will not cover all processes and will be very time consuming.  Also, is it possible the "period of effectiveness" did not apply that long ago and continuity records were never kept?

Thank you for the help!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-09-2010 16:43
Those are some good questions...

My first thought is; If some of the welders haven't been tested since the 70's (30-40 years ago) maybe its just time to do another round of testing, for those workers who don't have a solid continuity record. once you get your continuity system developed.

I'd feel pretty nervous about the possible appearence of pencil whipping a welder qual for a worker who hasn't taken a performance qualification test since the 1970's.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-09-2010 17:36
I had a similar mess here as well and had a welding submittal partially rejected.....I retested a bunch of welders until I eventually caught back up to date. Believe me when I say that I keep the continuity records up,....man... I don't need to go through all of that again. I would try to find fabrication records to support their continuity up to a point, but if it was too big of a job...I'd just retest.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-09-2010 17:49
I'd agree, I had the same thing , but once I got it in line, I make it a priority to keep it up, that's one thing that doesn't get pushed aside. 

Once it's set up and running it's easy, it's just a lot of work to get to that point.  I use a simple excel spread sheet, and at the beginning of each month I highlight who's up in that month, when that day comes around, I check their welds, fill out a sheet for the files cross him off the list, update the spreadsheet in the computer and do it all over at the beginning of each month.
Chris
Parent - By weld7320 (*) Date 04-09-2010 18:02
Thanks a lot fellas, you confirmed my thoughts.  Fortunately, we aren't using as many processes as the company used to....I better get to work!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Continuity Logs