Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / enough shielding gas?
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-15-2002 22:06
I have a small wire welder that has gone from bad ,to OK ,to bad again. The first problem was simply learning to adjust the machine. Now it doesn't matter what I do. I think it has a problem with the regulator. How much gas flow should be felt when I power the solenoid with the wire feed off. I can barely percieve any flow at all. The regulator has a fixed flow so I can't increase it with an adjustment. The high pressure gauge reads 1/4 tank and when I took it off and cracked the tank it certainly had pressure in it. I guess what I need to know is just how the gas should feel to my hand when it's flowing properly. I also disconnected the line at the welder and gas flow through the open hose was almost not noticeable. Oh, and the main reason for all this is the unit will not weld. It sparks and leaves porous and blobby looking welds. The arc sputters the same way as when it runs out of gas too. Oh, the tank size is 20cf, 75/25 argon-CO2. Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.
Parent - By Jay Krout (*) Date 07-16-2002 00:54
bzzzzz, Well that's the way it acts when your not geting enough gas. Does your regulater have what looks like like a small filter in the end that screws to the tank? Possibly it is clogged, and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Maybe you have a blockage elsewhere that needs to be investigated and opened up when you find it. Possibly the flow conrol valve is messed up, you should definately feel the gas on your hand and be able to smell it too, not enogh to move your hand but you should feel it. Sorry I can't give you any definate answers but I hope it gives you somewhere to start lookin. Good luck and Happy weldin when it works right again. J Krout
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 07-16-2002 11:48
BZZZZZZZZZZZ,
since you do not have a flow adjustment the only way you will be able to tell is by feel.......my advice is hold the gun up top the side of your face so you can feel and hear it.....just make shure that if your feeder does not have a purge switch on it that you dont let the wire come out and hit you in the face.....remember more gas is not always better......you just want the gas to come out, hit the plate, and spread (not bouncing off).....too much gas and you can get turbulance and actually force oxygen into the weld zone......75/25 gas mix has no smell.....if you smell anything when the gas is coming out it is the smell of your tank and line, I think that's what Jay was talking about
Parent - - By WeldDoctor (*) Date 07-16-2002 20:33
A restriction in your gas flow is evident. To narrow the search. Disconnect the hose from the outlet of the regulator and place your hand 2" from the outlet, if you have flow its not the regulator. Many times Mig gun front-end parts (nozzles, insulators, ect.) can be installed incorrectly. Remove the nozzle and look at the piece that the nozzles attaches to, there should be small holes exposed to allow the gas to flow to the work piece. Good luck.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-16-2002 21:18
I already did that and the problem must be at the regulator and not in the valve or hoses in the welder itself. Maybe I'll have to buy a decent regulator for it. I don't know much about how a high pressure regulator works, and I 'm not going to "learn as I go" with 2.000 lbs. of pressure.
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 07-17-2002 01:08
don't just get a regulator...get a flowmeter...they're more accurate in telling how much gas is flowing...and most guidebooks give their flow rates in cu. ft/hr rather than psi like a regulator. also...it's more accurate than a regulator and you won't be pumping too much gas into your weld area, thereby decreasing gas consumption.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 07-17-2002 04:35
You already have much good advice but can devise an expedient meter if you prefer a quantitive test:
How long does it take for the (cold) torch to fill a large empty baggie with gas? About what would you estimate the volume of the baggie? If you want accuracy fill and measure volume with water. Work the math to compute cubic foot or liters per minute.

I doubt you truely require a flow meter for your work, unless it's a deal you can't refuse. Jillions of welders are surviving without one. A proper regulator for this use should have a scale to approximate volume/minute and volume/hour directly on the meter. Truely it's not as accurate, but at the cost of gas at your present consumption it probably wont impact your beer budget.

This is I believe, for hobby type use, not production, right?
D
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-17-2002 10:22
Dee, Yes, the welding is for hobby use. But beer consumption is at a professional level sometimes! So the pressure regualtor would probably be adequate.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-17-2002 13:13
Your local supplier can get you a little plastic "gas flow checker" device that you hold on the nozzle of your gun. It works like most flow meters in that a ball floats in a tube when gas is flowing, but it is intended to give a rough check at the business end of the gun. I think it's made by L-Tec and the cost was under $5 a couple of years ago. If you can get one of them you can afford more beer and still measure what you're doing.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-18-2002 21:53
just went to the supplier and showed them my regulator and tank. His expert opinion- that ain't near enough gas coming out. Also showed me a Millermatic 120 volt model. Looked like a quality tool to me. Tried to tempt me with a deal on a bigger cylinder too. His flowmeter was $65.00. Too bad I can't find a cheap regulator so I could sell my Craftsman mig and dump in a few more bucks to get the blue unit. Anyway thanks for all those who responded to my post.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 07-19-2002 05:39
Bzzzzzz
Check the posts about welders; size counts. If you intend to trade up you would probably benefit from waiting until it's practical to make a positive step up; 250A is like a whole new world.

Try a post in equipment wanted for that flow meter or a suitable regulator; they ship easily and even the on-line supply houses like welders mall that links from the AWS home page may offer a bargain.
D
Parent - By rodney schumach Date 08-10-2002 04:18
I would just buy a reg. that has psi on it and set it the reg to 15psi which is about 20cfm. A folw type will set ya back about $125. to $160 bucks. You can use a c02 reg from a local Brew Supply store and set it up for the psi stated above and the fittings will marrie up quite nicely for about $25.00 bucks.The flow reg will look cool and I use them but the machine is worth the cost.Good luck and keep arcing away...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / enough shielding gas?