Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Any welders working for University Mechanical?
- By smithcd2208 (**) Date 04-11-2010 05:42
I am in my final quarter of college and am going to try to work there. Does anyone have any information on the company? All i know is my cousin works there and says he can get my foot in the door.
- - By Francisford (**) Date 04-11-2010 06:41
Are you talking about a certain company that is named University Mechanical or a particular university?
Parent - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 04-11-2010 08:55
I suppose i should have been a bit more specific. It's University Mechanical and Engineering Contractors. http://www.umec-ca.com/
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-11-2010 16:52
I don't know what kind of position your looking for i noticed the word Welders
in your post. University mechanical is a signature contractor with the Ua steamfitters.
some office personel such as a detailer or engineer would not necessarily have to be
union. But any Craft trade such as a welder or fitter is definitely union. I've worked
for them on several occasions and they are a pretty good company to work for.
theyre owned by Emcor who have extremely deep pockets.  Joe
Parent - - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 04-12-2010 04:36
yeah my cousin is in the union, he has told me he can get my foot in the door, i was just curious if i could find any more information about them from other people. I've already done some browsing on their website. Was also curious if there are any suggestions of tools i will probably need and stuff i should practice on doing.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-12-2010 13:42
Being a union contractor the the company provides most tools.
Theres a small tool list the worker is suppose to supply but no
one really enforces it.  Tape measure, channel locks, torpedo level
crescent wrench, 18" pipe wrench, hammer. Most Guys provide their own hood
personal preference.  I always have my own wrap around,fit up wedges,
File, striker, center finder, tri square. No power tools of any kind!!!
Foot in the door as an apprentice or journeyman?  Do you have any work
experience ?  if youv'e just been going to college you have a lot to learn.
Parent - - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 04-12-2010 21:01 Edited 04-12-2010 21:15
Probably as an apprentice, hopefully my schooling will count for something and bump me up to a second year apprentice. I'm not sure how it's gonna work, but my cousin says he has a lot of pull there. I know I have a lot to learn being fresh out of school, but i do believe i have a big head start because the welding program at my school is great. It's not like welding a 12" piece of plate or 6" coupons, there are lots of assignments with big iron. You should check it out here. The walkthrough is about 30 minutes long, but it is an excellent shop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md2JD3aZ_MY&feature=PlayList&p=C14F04C7E9A246C5&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-13-2010 01:16
If You have the opportunity to get in the apprenticeship, TAKE IT. You will learn more and advance faster in an apprenticeship program than learning on the job as opportunities arise.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Any welders working for University Mechanical?