Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Test plate cracked
- - By ortmanchris Date 04-11-2010 17:04
If a test plate was welded with an ER11019,1/8" electrode and upon bending it cracked. Assuming that operator error was not the cause of the cracking what was the cause
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-11-2010 18:33
This question has already been asked in the last day or two.

NOT ENOUGH DATA... and a poor question to boot.

ER11019  1/8"   Would tell us (by AWS standards) that you are talking about bare solid wire of some sort, with a 110Ksi strength. (I have no idea what the 19 would represent)

Is this a GTAW weld with 1/8 inch filler?

is the SAW with the rod also being used as the electrode?

Or ... Are you asking something altogether different?

If you are... You need to provide.. base metal, *WELDING PROCESS*, material thickness, preheat, interpass, post heat.

How was it tested.. According to which code?   Bend radius ?

more more more
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-11-2010 18:36
ortmanchris
Welcome to the Forum
And ditto what Lawrence wrote.
Again Welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2010 19:12
I agree with everything that has been said, but I will add, check the radius of the bending die against the requirements of the applicable welding standard.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-11-2010 21:54
I'm no pro but think knowing if it cracked in the root or face would be pertinent information as well. Crack on the edge of the weld where it meets the base metal? Cracked in the center of the weld...porosity??
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 04-12-2010 01:57
Grain direction
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-12-2010 02:43
If it was not operator error, then there are a multitude of possible reasons.  However, there is not enough info to narrow it down and some of the info provided does not jive.  "ER" indicates a bare wire electrode that could be used for GTAW, GMAW or SAW, but the "11019" part is similar to a coated SMAW electrode.  Also, the last number would be the coating type, but there is not a "9" coating unless this is a recent change to AWS A5.5.

The 110 series of electrodes are typically used on quenched and tempered steels.  Possible failure modes for a bend specimen are trapped slag, incomplete fusion, incomplete penetration, excessive heat input, insufficient preheat, excessive interpass temperature, excessive porosity, underbead cracking, weld metal hardness significantly greater than base metal hardness, and probably a few others.  Please provide more information on the base metal specification, welding process, correct AWS classification for the electrode, welding position, preheat, maximum interpass temperature, welding position, plate thickness, type of bend (face/root or side bends), etc.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-12-2010 09:10
MBSims
Class       Electrode Coating                   Penetration          Current Type
Exxx9     Iron Oxide, Rutile, Potassium       Medium            AC, DCEP, DCEN
Marshall
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-13-2010 01:53
Marshall,

The only AWS classification I am aware of that ends in a "9" is E6019 under A5.1.  The 110 ksi classifications fall under A5.5 and I did not see a "9" coating listed, although I only have the 1996 edition to look at until I get back to the office.  It makes no sense to me to use an electrode that is not low hydrogen on 110 ksi tensile strength base metal.  Which A5.x standard did you find this in?

I'm beginning to think someone is jerking our chain again...perhaps this is a Farm Code question?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-13-2010 03:24 Edited 04-13-2010 03:32
These folks asking the question are students which explains why the 11019 was used. ;) They probably meant to write 11018 instead and not being familiar with AWS standards, they didn't bother to check if they wrote an electrode designation which was incorrect according to AWS standards, or even cite which standard they were referring to, so the typo was posted instead... Just a bunch of students who were in a rush to get quick answer without taking the time or effort to make sure their post was technically correct! ;)

Hopefully, it turned out to be a good lesson for them!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 04-13-2010 05:13
Correct Sir
Parent - - By ortmanchris Date 04-13-2010 14:20
it was a typo.So really you don't need to be such a jerk.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-13-2010 14:30
Nobody is being a Jerk... Yet

Maybe you have learned that communications in the welding world are very important and being inaccurate in reporting data can cause all kinds of troubles.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 04-13-2010 16:48
Now wait a minute here, Junior, you come here asking for FREE advice, because your teacher said if YOU could answer it you'd get a prize, and you want other people to answer it for you so YOU can get the prize (what's known as a "do my homework for me" post and it always amazes me that people here would even consider helping with that kind of question), and then you go calling people jerks?

What a classic example of the "Generation Y" sense of entitlement.

Let me spell it out for you.

No. One. On. This. Board. Owes. You. One. Single. God. Damned. Thing.

Anything ANYONE does for you here is way more than they need to.  They are taking time out of their day to address your question, and they will do it however they feel like doing it, since no one's paying them to.  You don't like it, try walking up to people in person and ask them to do stuff for you for free and then criticize their tone when they answer you.

Hg
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-13-2010 16:53
Hmmm... I sense that I struck a nerve!!! :) :) :) So let me get this straight... You're coming in here to this "WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM" for some answers from folks who are all too eager to help someone out in a pinch, and when someone corrects you as well as requests more information in order to give you an intelligent, educated answer - all of a sudden, you are the one who is offended and reacts by calling us jerks???

Well it seems like you need to understand that your attitude will get you nowhere fast if it's to continue in the way you are currently expressing yourself in here or anywhere else for that matter!!! My response to you is simple and straightforward... Have a nice life!!! ;)

Henry
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-13-2010 23:46
What was the typo?
Based on the information you offered ia am going to guess the heat input was too high, the travel speed was too slow and the plate was too thick. Also you used the wrong process as GMAW would be the perfected method of joining two plates as you described and the plates were welded on Saturday.
Maybe you consider this answer as a jerk. If your knickers are in a knot about the answers, either get over it and ask the question where it can be answered, or get gone.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 04-13-2010 09:42
MBSims
As Henry said it appears some students are fielding questions from the teacher.
The OP didn't mention A5.5 or even Low Hydrogen and I didn't mean to imply it was anything but an AWS interpretation of the last digit for Identification of SMAW Electrode. So it was not taken from any A5.x Standard.
As many have mentioned the reasons for the failure of the test specimen could be numerous, even the preparation of the coupons could cause failure in a borderline procedure.
Thanks for the clarification I hope it helps the OP realize there is more to welding than electrode manipulation.
Just my ΒΆΒΆ's
Marshall
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 04-14-2010 03:46
Understood.  I thought you had found a "19" classification somewhere for low alloy rods.  Thanks for clarifying.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-17-2010 02:01
Guess the lad gave up.
- By mtlmster (**) Date 04-12-2010 00:11
Quote---"Assuming that operator error was not the cause of the cracking"???????????????????????  What does this statement mean?  Please define "ALL" processes from beginning to end.  Relay as much detailed explanation as you can.  These guys are good, but they are not mind readers.

Oh, and btw welcome.

Steve
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Test plate cracked