Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS with the wrong information
- By joe pirie (***) Date 04-13-2010 13:56
I recently had to obtain a wps from a testing lab for the engineer on a job.
befor i turned it in i reviewed it and found what i believe to be major mistakes.
this is for an asme sect 1X procedure downhill

Base Material :  P1 mat.  no pipe dia is given.   How would you  know what size pipe is qualified?

Under positions it says all welding positions permitted
uphill or down hill progression on any pass of a vertical weld.

The way I read this is the welder can taking the test can weld the coupon 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G
or any combination.  So what position's would the welder be qualified for ?

under welding parameters it says Direct current & straight polarity  electrode positive
The test is using e6010 electrode which is a dc reverse polarity rod only.
the way im reading this they want you to weld it on straight polarity in which case
the electrode would be negative not positive.

The asme code is a little confusing in some sections it says that a change from uphill to downhnill
would require re testing in another section it says you can go up hioll or downhill for the root and fill
but not the cap??

im going to try and attach the wps  Thanks  Joe

Im going to try and attach the wps
Attachment: ua1wpslocal250.pdf (778k)
- - By dlmann (**) Date 04-13-2010 17:00
The attached WPS will cover pipe and plate.  Stay within the qualified thickness’ ranges and you can weld any diameter subject to the welder’s qualification.

Progression is non essential for a WPS but the welder is usually up or down qualified.  If impact testing is required I believe that the WPS would have to be specific concerning up or downhill. 

You can test any position you need with this WPS.  The welders will be qualified from that test ie.. 6G results in all position, 1G result in F position and so on.

DC electrode positive looks OK but electrode positive is reversed polarity.  From the Lincoln site; electrode-positive (reversed polarity), electrode-negative (straight polarity)

When you look for information in ASME IX about WPS’s be sure you are in the procedure section and vice versa concerning performance qualifications.  That how you run into conflicting information sometimes.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-13-2010 21:25
I'm not familiar with ASME.  Does the WPS have to specify a groove angle or is this covered by the note under General Welding Techniques that requires no single pass greater than 1/2"?

Thank you for the info.

Bob G.
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 04-13-2010 22:43
I like illustrated detailed joint designs (angle, root, etc..) on a WPS.  The WPS above I believe meets the requirement for joint design for ASME QW-402.1.  In the joint design requirment of QW-402.1, angle is not mentioned.
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-14-2010 10:31
Donnie,
I have a few concerns regarding this WPS.
1 A Single Bevel is not a Vee Groove weld
2 How does the welder know whether the square edge is on the bottom or the top without a joint detail shown.

As you are aware the reason we have WPSs is to give welders guidance to enable them to produce sound welds. I would be loathe to give this WPS to the production welders, let alone possibly inexperienced welders performing a weld test (the OP seemed to be talking about welder qualification tests)
Giving welders a WPS with all positions (and more importantly any progression) and a specified range is a recipe for disaster, especially for inexperienced welders.
3/32  40 to 80 amps
1/8   25 to 125 amps
5/32 110 to 170

Based on the WPS a welder can use a 5/32 electrode and weld Flat or Vertical Down at 110 amps or Vertical Up at 170 amps and still be withn the WPS parameters - it just doesn't assist the welder at all.
Your thoughts ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-14-2010 12:43
I agree Shane!

And adding to what you already pointed out, it is written: "Direct Current Straight Polarity - Electrode Positive."

Now whoever wrote this in the WPS in that .pdf copy doesn't know the difference between straight or reverse polarity as it relates to whether or not the electrode is positive or negative, because it should clearly state that if DCSP, or Straight Polarity is to be used, then the Electrode must be negative. ;)
DCRP, or Reverse Polarity means that the electrode must be Positive instead! ;)

I believe this WPS is way too generalized, and technically incorrect in the way it is written also. :(

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 04-14-2010 13:19
Guys,
Maybe I'm missing something here, but this is a UA "WPS".  I would guess that the sole application of this WPS would be for use during welder performance qualification testing.  If my guess is correct, and notwithstanding some of the obvious issues you've pointed out (e.g. polarity) and at my peril not pulling out a Sec IX to verify what I'm saying, I would say that this is close to being an acceptable WPS for welder qualification testing.  You would simply have to record your actual values, for example the actual position used for the test, the actual progression of welding used, etc.
Mankenberg
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-14-2010 15:19
Close, but no Cigar that is!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-14-2010 15:32
"Multipass welding required, with no single pass greater than 1/2"-end quote...I'm not familiar with Section IX, do they allow a single pass of 1/2" in any position?....wow.

To effectively use this WPS, I would have to think that some additional (possibly verbal) instructions would be given at the time of performance testing in regards to some specifics of the test being taken...ie. position, and the position would possibly dictate whether single bevel vs single V and orientation of the plates/pipe for position being tested. You wouldn't want the single bevel turned upside down for a 2G test.
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 04-14-2010 17:32
Shane,
This WPS as I have known it is a union hall document.  The local in our area uses something similar to build and maintain a pool of qualified welders.  Pretty simple and plain, but acceptable for pipe qualifications.  Companies in the area have an agreement with the local and will call the hall for welders. The welders show up with a cert card and record of continuity.  This WPS is referenced on the welder qualification record and provided in the submittal process.  I’ve found this acceptable for the submittal review before work is awarded.  There are times when a contractor will submit this WPS for the production welding which our organization kicks back.

Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-14-2010 18:02
The CwI on the job told the union contractor that the certification
the welder showed him didn't mean **** to him that he wanted the original
wps wpqr  papers to go along with the welders copy of his certs. The union
bus agent asked me to do him a favor and seeif i could straighten out  the mess
Thats when i talked with the cwi and he told me he wanted the welders qualified to
asme Sect 1V I clarified that with him that sect 1V pertained to the manufacturing
of hot water boilers not hydronic pipeing. He agreed to accept section1X  certifications.
I went to the unions test lab and got a copy of the WPS & WPQR I posted . upon reviewing the
Wps I  found  several areas that I thought were unacceptable.  If I was the CWI on the job I would not accept
this WPS as Written. The WPQR appeared to be acceptable.  Before i give this WPS to the contractor to show the
CWI and Engineer I wanted to make sure it was right.  Thank you all for your imput   Joe
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-14-2010 18:02
There will certainly be more information required to complete a performance qual than what this WPS provides, but then that is always the case. I've never seen anybody's WPS provide all the info a tester needed. Who would want such a monstrosity?
As far as the compliance of the WPS with ASME IX the only problem I see is the confusion with polarity.
Looks to me like they went right down the QW-253 list.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-14-2010 21:32
ASME Section IX isn't AWS D1.1 or D1.5. The ASME based WPS can be very general and the ranges left wide open and still comply with Section IX.

You really need to have a copy of Section IX open while you are reviewing welding documentations. It is an eye-opener for someone that usually works with AWS.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-15-2010 04:56
I agree Al, but writing in the information regarding polarity is quite obviously and technically incorrect no matter which code one is working to. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2010 15:16 Edited 04-15-2010 15:19
I had a couple of minutes to pull up the WPS to take a look at it. The information is sparse even for an ASME WPS. Typographic errors aside, the WPS is supposed to address both essential and nonessential variables, and where applicable the supplementary essential variables listed in ASME Section IX. In this example the variables can be reviewed by looking at QW-253. A quick review of the WPS and the QW-253 reveals there are a couple of essential variables and several nonessential variables that have not been addressed.

I just revised my rant and deleted several paragraphs that critiqued the WPS. It is what it is, another pitiful example of how a WPS written to meet ASME Section IX misses the mark of providing useful information to the welder. No wonder welders don't bother to read what amounts to a waste of paper.

The issue of what is to be included in a WPS has been discussed at length in this forum. My position is unchanged and I'm sure those with strong allegiance to ASME are not about to change their minds on the subject.

Lesson of the day; if you are tasked with writing a WPS, do it in a manner that meets the applicable code requirements. However, don’t forget that a welder will be using it (if it is written properly). The information should provide sufficient details that the welder knows exactly what he/she is to do. What information is needed? In this case the purpose of the WPS is restricted to welder qualification testing. It isn’t that difficult to include a sketch or two of the joint(s) configuration and joint details the welder will be using. This WPS should list more than P1 for the material. I hate to say it, but very few welders have a clue about P numbers. P1, P8, P22, not a clue! How difficult is it to list ASME SA53 or A106? That has meaning to the average pipe welder. Listing the material specification provides the welder with a direct link to the material he/she is working with, the applicable specification is line printed on each length of pipe. Where do you see P1 printed on the pipe? P number is useful to the engineer, but it means nothing to the welder. 

I could continue my rant, but to what purpose? It has been said before.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 04-17-2010 15:10
Thank you all for your expert evaluation on this WPS. I talked with
the cwi in charge of the locals weld dept and he told me he didn't care
beacause he didn't write it. I took up the issue with the Business Manager
who thanked me for bringing the problem to his attention.  He said is
going to  have all the UA procedures reviewed and corrected as necessary.
I agree with Al  most welders Don't a have a clue what a P number is I've
been a welder for over 30 years and until I got into inspection i never
even heard of a p number . Love this forum where else can you get so
much useful information  on just about any welding topic you can imagine
Joe
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2010 17:31
Joe;

You are in a great position to help your local and the international to revise the WPSs that are used for welder qualification.

Any program that qualifies welders is only as good as its reputation for being a quality program and one that produces qualified skilled welders. The program has to stand up to scrutiny and the welders that carry the certifications have to produce quality work. A weak program jeopardizes everything your international has worked very hard to develop. You can help strengthen the program by helping your local and the international rewrite the WPS and turn them into useful documents that the welder can use to assemble and weld the test pieces. The keyword is "use.” Too many WPSs miss that goal. They "meet" the code requirements, but miss the mark of being useful documents.

The "customer" of any WPS is the welder that reads and follows the directions provided. The code-mandated information is the minimum information needed to satisfy someone that most likely never struck a welding arc and never will. Make sure the WPS keeps the "customer" in mind. Include the code-mandated information, but also include the information the welder needs to make a successful weld. If there are special techniques to be employed they should be included in the WPS. The joint details should be complete to the point that any welder can look at the sketch and know what groove angle is required, what root opening is needed, and what root face is appropriate. You are working to AWS D1.X, so you are not dealing with prequalified joint details. However, ANSI B16.25 depicts standard groove details for butt joints. That information is useful to the welder. List the material specifications of the pipe material used for the test. I imagine your international has settled on several "standardized" performance tests. They may be purchasing the pipe nipples cut to length and prebeveled. If so, the job of listing the appropriate material specification, diameter, wall thickness, etc. is straightforward. You still have to list the P number and the A number to satisfy "code" requirements, but that's no problem. The sharp welder might even ask a question about what it all means to him; the welder.

Good luck. If your local representatives are sharp, they will recognize your efforts as being beneficial to their program and they will enlist your help in finding and  resolving any weaknesses in the program.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-19-2010 13:01 Edited 04-19-2010 13:48
Al,
"I hate to say it, but very few welders have a clue about P numbers. P1, P8, P22, not a clue! How difficult is it to list ASME SA53 or A106? That has meaning to the average pipe welder."

IMO this is unworkable. There may be 50 material specifications the average pipe welder can be subjected to. Not only are there pipe specs, but plate for lugs and such (how many of these are there), castings for valves, forged fitting specs for flanges and o-lets, wrought fitting specs for tube turns, how about seamless pipe, seamed pipe, forged and bored pipe, high temp pipe, low temp pipe? And this is just carbon steel. You would end up with so many procedures or so many specs on the procedure that it would defeat what you are trying to achieve.
Add to that the other materials and you end up with virtually every spec in Section II on your procedures. This is not a recipe for clarity.
And one other point, if the welder is actually taking the time to look at the procedure how long would it take for them to understand a few basic P no's as opposed to the Encyclopedia Britannica of material specs?
The simplicity of it is after all a benefit of the P-No system.
Where I find the biggest confusion with welders is not so much the P-No system but the fact that the ASME Section IX P-No system gets confused with the SA-335 P number classifications. For example: is 5 chrome P5 or P5B?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-19-2010 13:53
The list of all the material specifications contained within a specific P number is indeed long. However this thread is limited to WPSs intended to be used for welder qualification. As such, it should give specific direction to the welder that is relevant to the test the welder is asked to take.

There have been several threads initiated by welders that felt they were not provided with sufficient information when they were required to take a performance test. In some cases they were given information "after the fact." Some examples sounded like "bait and switch" scams. In some cases a WPS was not even provided. I can only say the examples provided are poor practice and any CWI involved should be admonished. They should know better.

My practice is to have a specific WPS for welder performance testing. It addresses the test they are taking and is very specific with regards to material specification, groove details (if it is a grooved test) or other information relevant to the joint being welded. The WPS has a sketch showing the joint and relevant information such as the length of the pipe nipples in the case of a pipe test, plate dimensions, etc. for structural tests.

The simplicity of the P-number system is for the benefit of the engineer. It does nothing for the welder. Let us not forget that the engineer can easily pull the reference (Section IX) from the bookshelf or access the information for P-numbers from his computer. Few welders carry Section IX in their tool kit and few have access to a computer on the job site. To expect the welder to know that a particular material specification belongs in a specific P-number grouping is like saying there is no reason to have audible signals at pedestrian crossing for blind people. They should know if there is a car is approaching or passing by from the Doppler affect of the car's exhaust.

As for a WPS for production, many shops are welding a limited number of materials within any particular P-number group. The number of specifications involved is relatively few and can be included in an annex if the list gets too long.

I do not agree with the philosophy of "Let's not tell them too much, it's easier to beat them if they make a mistake." or "Leave them in dark, feed them BS and see if they thrive."

If the employer does not provide the welder with useful relevant information, the blame lies with the employer.

You and I have agreed that the information required by Section IX is the minimum information that has to be included in the WPS and PQR. It does not mean the employer cannot add information to the WPS the welder will need for production work.

I will go further to say that a WPS that only includes the required information per Section IX is a waste of valuable paper. It serves no useful purpose in the welder’s hands.

Case in point: P-numbers, there is no direct correlation to the information provided by the supplier in the form of material specifications, etc. listed on the raw material.
Electrode: Specification is required, but not the classification. Do I use a ER308, ER316, ER309, or 310 when welding type 316 all? Does it matter?
Voltage, Wire Feed Speed, and Amperage: not required. Most welder would find such information useful gaging by the number of times welders on the job ask me for that information 

The list could go on, but we’ve done that before.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-19-2010 17:08
I would agree, and in fact write my WPS's with more info. But I also believe most welders are quite intelligent and can grasp a handful of P-No's even more easily than what will always be larger number of specifications. If all the welder has to know is that he is welding on P-1 carbon steel isn't this easier than having to verify that the WPS actually has SA-105, 106, 516, 367, 333, etc.?
If the welding engineer happens to overlook an unusual material spec and didn't rev his WPS then you will still be in compliance with P-No's. Though maybe this argument is thin since welding engineers never make mistakes.   :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-19-2010 17:40 Edited 04-19-2010 17:44
One other problem with specification listing on the WPS. Many specs have multiple alloys so what this will lead to is that your, for example carbon steel WPS, your 1 1/4 Cr WPS, your 2 1/4Cr WPS, 5Cr, 9Cr and P91 and your stainless steel WPS's, will all say, SA-182 on them(SA-182 is the most common spec for O-lets and everybody in piping does o-lets).
CS, P11, P22 WPS's will have in common maybe SA-182, SA-234, SA-335.
SA-333 can be on carbon steeel and Ni steel WPS's.
So now its not just the spec but the classification as well the welder needs to be cognizant of.
Not only does this not give the welder any valuable info it increases the confusion. Now I stated earlier I thought welders intelligent
(I wuz wun) but this is just ornery.  :)
Does the welder really care if he is welding an SA-234 tube turn to an SA-106 pipe?
What is simpler an SA-105 flange to an SA-106 pipe (with an SA-182 o-let) to an SA-234 tube turn,,,or
Its P1 carbon steel, get to weldin. :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-19-2010 22:12 Edited 04-20-2010 04:34
If the welder could identify that the SA-234 was a P-1, I would agree. My position is that the average welder doesn’t know what materials fall into the different P-number groups.

You make a good point that the material specification may include several alloys. That is all the more reason to provide specific information for the alloy and material specification to be joined as well as the specific filler metal specification and classification for the combination.

P8 welded with an F6, sorry, not enough information.

This isn't a case of the welders not being intelligent. This is a case of not providing useful information to the welder in a form he can use. Welders are not usually familiar with using a welding code, nor do they have access to the code on the job site. Give the welder the tools needed to do the job right. That’s where and when the welding engineer or consultant earns his keep.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 13:57
Al,
I'm confused. I'm not sure what we are debating anymore (even ASME Section IX requires far more than P-No/FNo). If it is your contention that ASME Section IX needs to increase what it requires on the WPS I can understand, and many would agree. If it is your contention that ASME Section IX needs to require everything that is needed by the welder then I would have to say I do not believe this is possible or even desirable to attempt.
I also think that virtually everyone agrees that more information is required. The system I have in place provides more information.
And this is the operative. Developing a system around the code requirements that works.
Somehow I suspect that welders who are truly interested in referencing a WPS, and in the real world they are few, would also somehow not have any trouble understanding that P1 is carbon steel.
WPS says its P1, therefore carbon steel, and you weld it with ER70S-2. You have your base metal and weld metal both required by Section IX. You also have to address amps and volts though the ranges are not dictated.
I also have always believed that WPS's are bit overrated. We have to have them to be sure but they are a template, not an absolute. First, WPS's don't determine what a welder does. A welder has initially determined what the WPS says through the PQR process. And if you have any smarts about you in writing the WPS (rhetorically speaking) you will write your WPS consistent with what the welder has done in the qualification and has proven successful in testing. So there is almost a cart before the horse mentality with a WPS. The welder came first then the PQR/WPS. Yeah I know about the pre qual WPS. Thats even worse. It is still up to the welder. If you don't think this is true (rhetorically speaking) try qualifying a procedure with a rookie. Second, you can have the most comprehensive WPS on the planet and it will still not make a good welder or allow a guy to weld if he doesn't already know how. I have often said myself that a WPS is an instruction, but I will admit this is overstated. In reality it is more of a guideline. Though certain things are absolutes like filler classifications, etc. Amps and Volts and travel speed can vary a great deal.
I know the conversation has drifted a bit but I think it is still a good one.
Another way of putting it is that WPS can assist inexperienced welders, but it is most commonly meaningless to experienced welders.
This statement may come as a shock to many, but there are literally millions of absolutely superb welds being made by guys who have never even seen a WPS. The control system around the WPS is the operative.
OK. I've rambled enough for now.  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-20-2010 14:26
We're both in agreement on the basic concept of the WPS and what information should be included. I believe we're both on the same page in agreeing that there are WPSs that are for "General" use and there are those WPSs that are intended for specific single purpose applications.

Much of the problem, as I see it, is all too often the engineer fails to understand what information the welder needs. The welder's needs are far different than the engineer. To top it off, few engineers have any first hand knowledge of welding. I would say it is akin to the welder writing an outline to perform failure analysis for the engineer to follow. The welder can read a book and get a general idea of what failure analysis is, but until he has actually work a few problems he is at a disadvantage.

ASME looks at the world from an engineer's prospective. ASME's code bodies are comprised for the most part by engineers that are number crunchers. Desk jockeys that rarely if ever visit the shop floor or interface with the weldrrs. Not that I blame the engineer, welders can be an ornery bunch if they don't believe you know your butt from, well you get my drift.

It is no different than CWIs that passed the CWI without having experience as a welder. The CWI that comes from the ranks of the welders typically fare better on the production floor. They have a working knowledge of the processes and they know what to look for, what is important and what is fluff. CWIs that have a strong background in NDT and laboratory work usually do better in the aras of report writing and documentation.

Ideally, engineers would have a better understanding of what the welder has to contend with if they work on the production floor side by side. Welders would have a better appreciation for what the engineer is trying to accomplish if they had some background in strength of materials, statics, etc. Life being what it is, the ideal situation rarely exists.

The secret is to write a WPS that is meaningful to the welder and meets the code requirements and defines the process in sufficient detail that both the experienced welder and the inexperienced welder can get the job done correctly. The fact that the goal is sometimes missed ensures you and I will have plenty of work.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS with the wrong information