Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Time has come........
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 04-16-2010 01:02
Hey guys,
Well, looks like my time has come for full retirement.....from my company. Been laid off for a year & a half & Monday I was told to come in & pick up my tools & personal belongings. Looks like the company is getting merged into another to try & salvage it somewhat. I had a feeling a while back when I heard that we were in rent arrears for over 6 months & the gas company shut off the gas because of no payment. We got an eviction notice to be out by the end of Apr...... this is the 2nd time for eviction. Says something, doesn't it?

In a way, the layoff was a blessing as my home shop has been quite busy with repairs & been making a lot of crafts. I won't complain as I'm ready & the company was quite generous with me with a lot of residual leftovers & I made good wages. Seems funny, at 66, I am still ready to go to work & my body alarm clock wakes me religiously at 6:15am. Well, at least now I can grab my coffee, have my cig, & walk thru the door & to work only 10 steps away. Don't believe I'll miss the traffic headaches & the winter jaunts on icy roads. The owner did indicate that he would appreciate if I would take on some sub work for them as I'm the only one who could do all the aluminum specialty jobs we got in......yup!....I'll take it. Another facet of bowing out is that he also indicated they would probably move operations into the city(Pgh).....NO WAY for me. I told him if he wants anything done, he'll have to bring it to my shop.... he agreed.

Anyway, just another 'ol timer moseying into the pasture. I'm ready. I like working at my pace & being able to make my day as I see fit. My bike is gonna like it......my pup already likes all the time I've been home. I'll post some of the projects I've been doing & probably start a blog.

Denny
Parent - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 04-16-2010 01:34
Don't think of it as going out to pasture. In reality, the fences have been taken down and nows the time to run!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-16-2010 17:03
life goes on.  Sounds like a good opprotunity though.

Can I retire now too?  I'm only 23 and work sounds like.... hard work
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-16-2010 17:25
Congratulation Dennis.

My father who retired twenty years ago always says, "There's so much to do, I don't know how I found time to work!"

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-16-2010 18:12
My favorite is,

I can't wait to retire.  Then I can work all the time.

But this only works if you love your work.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2010 18:30
Denny
I hope it is a happy transition and allows you to spend more time talking to us!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-16-2010 18:47
LOL...I agree with weldhawk71....get out there and run. Enjoy yourself buddy!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-16-2010 21:08
Denny, I turn 66 myself in a month but darned if I'm gonna retire right away. My plans are some what like my adventure in the US Army. I enlisted for 3 years and they kicked my ass for all of'em. then I got smart figured out the system I did,,, so I re-inlisted for 3 more and became just plan hard headed and goofed off every minute and before I knew it I was SFC E-6 and did even less. So come May I plan to put the that plan back in to use and see what happens.

Just like the US military my employer is about that big and I figure it will take them at least 5 years to figure out I'm still there.

I kind of envy you, I would much rather stroll out to my own shop I have been preparing for a long time and I may and can change my mind at any time and that is what feels best of all, thats freedom.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 04-16-2010 21:21
Hope you are lucky enough to get all your stuff back from there.  Something better has to happen soon.
Parent - By 52757 (**) Date 04-19-2010 10:59
Denny, more time to  ride, Life is great is'nt it!!!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-22-2010 19:55
Hey Denny,

Been rather busy and missed this as it came along.

Best wishes in the transition.  From what you have said in other posts I think you will be even happier now that you know for sure which way things are going.

I know you aren't going to slow down any.  Just keep up the good work and keep us filled in.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 05-10-2010 14:50
Yorkie,
Sorry for replying so late, as I'm hardly ever on anymore.

I just wanted to congratulate you :) Now you can use your talents totally on YOUR terms. What a nice feeling that must be!

I hope at the time my retirement comes, I have gained as many skills and talents as you - and enjoy them even half as much!

You earned your free time, enjoy it!

Sincerely,

Jenn
- By Tigger1106 Date 04-23-2010 02:14
Good for you. Enjoy!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Time has come........