Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Set-up shortcut
- - By aevald (*****) Date 04-17-2010 08:39 Edited 04-17-2010 08:48
Many years ago I was working for a heavy equipment manufacturer, we would often set pin boss brackets on buckets and other attachments designed for heavy equipment. I have a number of pictures which show the principals of speeding this process along and helping to hold the brackets square, locate them accurately, and help to hold them in position while welding is taking place. We would often shear up a number of right angle plates with weld clearance cut-outs at the corners to be used to aid in fitting and welding. I imagine many of you out there use similar types of fitting methods and would invite you to include them here for everyone to see and consider for use. Backhoe and trackhoe buckets are somewhat unique from many other fabrication challenges since they have a taper from the front opening of the bucket to the rear. Centerlines are often used to locate the mounting brackets, using set-up plates with centerlines on them can speed up the fitting process immensely. You may notice in these pictures that there are plates to hold the brackets at a right angle and there are tie bars across the top of these brackets to transfer the welding pull while one side is welded and vice-a-versa. Hope these pictures properly explain what I have written here. Look forward to other practices and responses. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-21-2010 03:50
Clear as a bell. Nice work.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-21-2010 04:09
Thanks Al, now I know you've been around a place or two, have you taken note of any particular tricks that could be included here for folks as alternative options to this sort of set-up? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 04-22-2010 02:09
hi Sr. you make it looks easy, nice work.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-22-2010 03:51
Thank you Jaime, how have you been lately and do you have any suggestions or examples for this thread? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 04-22-2010 03:56
I been busy, thank god!, I'll try to take some pic's, thank you for asking.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2010 13:41
Most of the work I get involved with is "one-of-a-kind,” so temporary braces are usually used. I like your setup because it minimizes the chance for errors.

I always say that a maintenance welder has to be smarter than your average production welder. The maintenance welder has to have a sense of forensics to determine why the part failed and then figure out if there is a way to ensure it does not break again. All of which has to happen on the job, in as short a time as possible, and usually without the assistance of an engineer.

The challenges of maintenance type welding are what make our work so interesting. It is one of the few areas in the working world where a person with initiative and pride in their work can excel. Welding is still dependent of an individual’s skill, talent, and intellect. Much of the repair work fits in the category of one-of-a-kind. Each new job has new challenges that call on the welder’s experience and knowledge of basic engineering and design to develop a viable solution to a problem.

The nature of my work involves clients that do not want their competition or customers to know what problems are affecting their production capabilities. Confidentiality is the by-word. I wanted to write an article for the Welding Journal about a job I did in January, but my client squelched that idea in terms that made it clear that that could not happen. My clients said they would skin me alive if they ever saw a photograph or mention of the company in print. 

I can tell you that the plans for the repair took me fours days to develop (analysis, design, WPS, sequence of repair, etc.) and it took 20 welders and 15 support people 15-days to complete. Of that 15-days, several were utilized to ramp up, i.e., line up a contractor, bring in equipment, obtain material, etc. As luck would have it, it was a long holiday weekend making it more difficult to contact people or suppliers.

We deposited about 3000 pounds of weld and used about 8000 pounds of one-inch plate. While the repairs were underway, it took an engineering firm, using finite element analysis, four more days to validate my design. They came up with four alternate designs, but my design was the only one that met all the constraints for longevity, cost, and time to complete. Even while the repairs were underway, they kept looking at alternative designs that would reduce the time to get the machine back on line. Each day of down time resulted in a loss of about million-dollars of revenue, hence the urgency to get the machine back on line as soon as possible. My design prevailed.

“See mom, all that time behind the welding hood and school finally paid off!”

Best regards - Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-22-2010 13:49
Hello Al, I do understand those sorts of constraints. Have been in similar situations working with very visisible companies and them not wanting to either give up trade secrets or have undo or derrogatory press, so to speak. Yet, if you do happen to come upon something that you can include, please do, verbal or pictorial. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Set-up shortcut