Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Weld cost analysis
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-21-2010 18:16
ESAB has some good reading material on their site regarding the cost of welding.

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson9_1.htm
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-30-2010 16:48
nice find, useful just to have some good tables on deposition efficiency.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-05-2010 18:16
Great link....breaks it down in a good straightforward way.    I found some interesting information in some of the other lessons as well!
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-06-2010 02:01
John,

Very good read, I really enjoyed it, has a lot of good things.  What I would like to add is, depends on where you are in the world.  If you're in a place, bfe, (Gulf of Mexico, 100 miles offshore), if you need some more rods, may cost a little more, ($6000 for the boat out and whatever their charging for the load, minimum if there's nothing else in the field.  Just think if you need just 20 pounds more of rods.  I know that most people on here are just a few miles from the closest weld supply store, just some of us, even topside welding just don't have the luxury of a store nearby.  Just something to think about for those that are just starting or have never been out in the field.

Chuck  Welch
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-06-2010 11:08
That's a good point Chuck!....I would hate to be way out there and not order enough supplies....figuring out what you might need ahead of time would be a real cost saver if there was a possibility of accidentally running just 20# short.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-07-2010 20:19
when I used to do costing and estimating I would figure out our deposition rate etc and then figure out our scrap and rework percentage, because  I'm not sure what welders you work with but very few big jobs come in with 0 rejects.  For us it wasn't the cost of an extra 20# of wire, but time, if you had to run out or special order and air ship #20 of wire you might as well of  ordered 20 more in the first place.

then again over the years we ended up with a few pounds of all these speciality rods we had no use for.  anyone need 3 pounds of ra-253-ma? 11 pounds of haynes 188?
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-08-2010 02:48
we haven't had any rejects, just fit-up problems.  Those are easy to deal with topside, but in the water and just one of you, tends to make things a little harder.  As with any gap you have to add that to the leg length, so extra passes.  Would like to try the ones you guys have extra of, never welded with those rods before.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Weld cost analysis