Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Clarification on D1.1 welder qualification usage ...
- - By affende Date 04-21-2010 22:44
So we all know D1.1 requires a welder to use a process at least every 6 months to retain their qualification.  However it does not specify whom has to sign off on the usage on the qual papers. 

I have heard everything from a CWI has to sign off on the 6 month usage to a non-certified, bubba joe can sign off on the usage.

Does anyone have any idea what title is required for the 6 month sign off?

Thank you for your help.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-22-2010 01:22
I think it depends on a couple of things.

For production welding in a normal shop environment I think Bubba joe is fine as long as Bubba is the authority assigned by the employer.  Continuity logs can be simple as a checklist or spreadsheet that ties in production work.

If you were tested at an AWS accredited test facilitiy and wish to keep your cert on the national registry there may be more specific language regarding how continuity is kept.  There are a couple of folks on the forum who sit on the certification committee who can clear this point up.
Parent - By downhill84 (*) Date 04-22-2010 01:28
i've always had a welder forman/shop qc sign off on it
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-22-2010 09:50
affende
Welcome to the Forum
It depends on the code, AWS D1.1 makes the employer responsible for your welds so as Lawrence stated The Employers representative would maintain your continual performance of the process' qualified.
Again Welcome to the Forum.
Marshall
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-22-2010 19:00
Not intending to be sarcastic here, and especially since Lawrence explained it quite eloquently, but since D1.1 does not specifiy then, it is not specified who has to sign it off. It certainly ain't a CWI by code requirement. D1.1 doesn't specify a CWI for anything. Who told you that an out of work CWI?  :)
- By affende Date 04-23-2010 01:29
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies and the answers.  You have more than clarified my muddy waters, so to speak.

Also, thank you for the welcome to the forums.  I am more than confident i will call upon the collective knowledge of the AWS forums more regularly than just a blue moon.

cheers.
affende
- By jbndt (**) Date 05-15-2010 23:47
Affende,

Welcome to the forum!

It depends ... Welders that DON'T work in a shop and 'carry their own book' prefer to have a CWI sign off on it.
A name, a stamp, and a traceable number carries a LOT more weight than your average Bubba-Joe.

Cheers,
jb
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Clarification on D1.1 welder qualification usage ...