Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / APS
- - By bdawson Date 04-23-2010 13:13
Can anyone give a little help!!  I am looking at a print with a general note, that simply states, Weld per APS 5.0.  I have surfed around the internet and can't find anything.  I'm not sure if this is a code, standard, or specification, but would like to have any direction that's out there.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-23-2010 14:06
Bob,

In case no one else has done it, and even if they have, you're new enough,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!   Hope you find much helpful info here.  People here with all kinds of worldwide backgrounds and experiences.

Maybe I can help lead some things though.  My first thoughts are to get a little more help from you such as more info:
1) Type of project, pipe, structural, pressure, etc.  (many more possibilities).
2) Geographic location especially of the customer the job is for.
3) Materials and processes being considered.

Even if no one has heard of it, it may point posters in the right direction to give a more complete answer.

Could just be company QC manual location for in house specs.  (Probably not that simple, just a thought)  I say that because here it is our state's public utilities initials.  They have quite a set of standards that must be followed that references the specific welding code to follow depending upon the job.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By bdawson Date 04-23-2010 18:45
Nobody has welcomed me, so thanks.  This print has not been loaded into our system as of yet, and the engineer who brought the print to me has left for the day, having the only copy that I'm aware of.  I will definitely get some more details Monday morning and post them.  I can tell you that this part is for commercial airplanes, the food trays on the back of each seat, this is the hinging mechanism.  It's approximately a 3/8" OD tubing that has a machined boss that welds in each end.  I will have to review the print again for the correct material.  I think it is a stainless steel.

Bob
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-23-2010 18:56
That might help.  Lawrence and some others here are VERY familiar with airlines, the applicable codes, etc.  Hopefully they will get in here.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / APS