Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / storing and protecting electrodes
- - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 04-24-2010 16:16
can any one give me a handbook or pdf about the procedures should be taken to store electrodes
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-25-2010 02:38
Mohamed,

Paperwork with the electrodes in question from the manufacturer should give you information on electrode storage.  Various Code Books give information especially if talking about 7018 or other Low Hydrogen electrodes.

Most of all, a search function of the topic on this forum will generate many threads with much conversation covering this topic.  I believe there are even a couple still showing in some of the areas on the forum.

Others may be able to direct you to a handbook covering this.  I don't have anything in front of me at the moment that would be of interest.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 04-25-2010 14:44
thank you brent
and i ask if there is a difference between rebaking and reconditioning
i'm sorry but i'm on my graduation project and i need this info
thank you for helping me again
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-25-2010 21:48
Under some AWS codes and at least one other code, there IS a difference between re-bake and re-condition.  Re-bake is usually done for electrodes that have been exposed for less than the maximum time at the critical humidity level, and are put back in the holding oven for a period of time, and can still be used after the prescribed holding time.  This action can continue indefinitely.

Re-conditioning is usually a bake at a higher temperature for a prescribed period of time and is limited to one re-bake.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-27-2010 14:44
Mohamed,

One of the most current threads here that should give you lots of info for research is in the 'Welders Exchange' section under the heading 'Rod Box'.  Henry has much info posted there and it is quite a discussion.

Joe,  I don't want to start something negative here, most especially with you.  Your knowledge is far exceeding of mine in these things.  But I can't help but feel as I look at D1.1, Clause 5.3.2.4 that you have these backwards. 

Rebaking is done when the electrodes have been out in atmosphere TOO long and reconditioning is when they are within the allotted time frame and need to be reheated, reconditioned before being reissued. 

Reconditioning done to 5.3.2.2 is at the lower temps, 250*F, for a period of 4 hrs while re-baking of electrodes over exposed is done only once at 500-800*F depending upon exact classification for a period of one or two hrs, again depending upon exactly which classification.

For further clarification, my view anyway, the holding oven is the same as the reconditioning oven.  Rod is put into the holding oven upon opening of the hermetically sealed container but may be issued immediately if it is truly a hermetically sealed container and returned to the holding/reconditioning oven prior to the time limits of Table 5.1.  If the container is not a proper hermetically sealed container or the rods have been over exposed then they must first be exposed to their one time re-bake process and can then be issued for use.

I hope I have seen this correctly.  I'm sure others will jump in, especially if I am wrong.  I look forward most to hear rather Joe and I are on the same page or rather I have misread/understood something in either the code or his post.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-27-2010 15:30
Brent

Good catch!  I mixed the two up and did have it backwards! I had a brain fart.  Your post has more detail than mine and relates to D 1 codes. I have seen this re-bake / re-condition subject treated with different temperature / time requirements in different specifications.  That is why I did not go into specifics about temperature and times.

Some electrode manufacturers do not agree with the times and temperatures published in D 1.1.

In any case, you correctly pointed out that I have mixed up the two terms.  Thanks for the correction.  I wouldn't want the original poster to get it wrong because of my error!

Joe Kane
Parent - By nordplame Date 06-23-2013 18:33
- By weldktm Date 06-20-2013 13:27
you could also have a look at this link:
http://www.weldinguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=354
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / storing and protecting electrodes