Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Any sources of decent how-to videos?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-24-2002 02:57
I'm looking for some reasonably cheap (like in <$25). I'm not really looking for a complete course on how to become a certified welder, just a good how-to video. I wouldn't mind finding one each on all the arc welding processes (SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW). Please post any suggestions...

Dave
Parent - By stich585 (*) Date 07-24-2002 03:59
I don't know about video's. But most colledge course books on welding are highly informational. When I first busted out in the trade I had a good one on the back of my toilet for about five years. Every time I felt an intense intestinal pressure I would read a few pages. You would be amazed at how much you can learn in that kind of invironment.
Parent - By overthehill (*) Date 07-24-2002 04:31
Take a look at www.weldingvideos.com
Parent - By kam (**) Date 07-24-2002 10:08
Miller has some fine material I use when teaching welding. I would suggest buying one of thier CD roms. The MIG Fundamentals CD is great!!! Has slow motion video and sound which really helps the student. I think they are around 30$. Well worth it. Can be picked up at your local weld supply business which carry Miller products.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-24-2002 13:50
Don't go spreading around that you can buy a $25 video and become a "CERTIFIED WELDER" us dummys that have spent many years of OJT didn't have that advantage.
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-25-2002 02:45
He he...OJT does not a dummy make! In fact, IMHO, that's the best training. I work with computers (and most of my knowledge came from OJT), so the welding is more of a hobby (although perhaps an unusual one). I specified the $25 range because I stumbled across some video-based training programs for various welding certifications that are in the $300-$1000 range. Ouch!

Dave
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-25-2002 12:13
For what its worth Dave "CERTIFIED WELDER" is a bit of a misnomer.

A welder can be QUALIFIED to a process with given parameters like Base & Filler material, w/wo backing.

In your case there is no need for a WQR (Welder Qualifaction Record aka Certification). If you are not welding for a living I dought any one will demand to see your papers. And if you should choose to make a living at it, you will need to certify (qualify) on every job you apply for.

If your aim is just to become proficient at welding, Get some training and practice, practice, practice, practice.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-25-2002 13:10

Hey, If 25 bucks can provide a good example of technique and safety practices than I'm all for it. I have spent uncounted hours deprogramming folks who have practice practice practiced poor techniques until they become difficult to break habbits, all because they tried to emulate a book without actually seeing it done. So, if you don't have a Pro to watch and the video is good, it may be one of the best investments you can make.

I have the Miller Tig CD rom and while I like the thing it does NOT replace either teacher or textbook. These things are suppliments to a comprehensive training program.
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-25-2002 16:51
Lawrence:

Does the Miller TIG CD have any video that actually shows TIG welding being done and/or talk about proper technique, etc.? I see that on their site as well as a video on TIG. The video is $40 for 18 minutes, which seems a little short to me to actually get into any kind of detail. What's the content on the CD like?

Dave
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2002 14:06
Dave,

My copy of the Miller CD is now 3 years old, I bet they have made it better since then. Visit your local vendor and make them play one for you. Find out if it has live sequences (I don't think mine has extended sequences). and let us know.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-25-2002 19:38
I think I mentioned "get some training". Not knocking the video concept at all. Just explaining its not as simple as some people tend to make it seems.
If a fella wants to know how to be a welder he really should know what a welder is. Some folks tend to put to little enphasis on what it takes to be a good welder.

I wonder.

If a fella draws up a few plans, buys some lumber and builds a dog house in his back yard, do we call him an Architect, or the guy who changes the air filter in his car, is he a mechinac.

If he wants to be able to run a bead he needs to pratice, if he wants to be a welder, well shucks get some training.

I have performed at least 50 PQRs and have pedigrees in GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, FCAW,PTAW, SAW. and a CWI I also have a video camera so I guess I am going to be a Director? and oh yea a movie star.

I will not appoligize for this tirade because I have to contend with the "Any body can be a welder" attitude every day at work and it sometimes gets under my skin.

OKay I will go crawl back in my hole.

Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-26-2002 02:53
Dude, chill a little will ya? I'm not slighting you nor ignoring the fact that it takes many years of experience to become a really talented welder. For me, this is a HOBBY, not a career. I'm perfectly happy in my career as a database architect. It may be a hobby, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to learn and get better. However, since it is a hobby and not a career, I would much rather take my time learning (since that's part of the fun), and, since I have X number of dollars that I will allow myself to spend on this hobby, I would rather spend most of it on a decent piece of equipment where I can get my practice and learn, rather than spending a lot of money on training (a little is OK). You and I both know that the real "learning" comes from "doing", not reading a book, watching a video, going to a class, etc. I always take the iterative approach of educate myself a little, then go try it, then educate myself a little more, and try it again. I don't know about you, but I really "learn" after the trying it part.

I understand perfectly what you mean when you say everyone thinks it's easy (and I'm sorry that you have to deal with those sorts of attitudes at work). Every yahoo who creates his first home page and publishes it on the Internet suddenly thinks he's a computer expert. Every bonehead who creates his first Microsoft Access database suddenly thinks he's a database architect and could do my job as an Oracle DBA. Well, he can't. It took me years of hard work to gain the knowledge that I have about my particular specialty, because it's extremely complicated and the minor details matter quite a bit (and of course, the same is true of welding, right?). Experience is definitely the best teacher. But, so what if Mr. "I've created a Microsoft Access database" thinks he's now a database architect? The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. I don't care what he thinks because I know the facts and skills are obvious when the work actually has to be done.

Here's what I'm trying to say. Can anyone weld? Probably. My wife could take a couple of pieces of metal and the $150 FCAW wire-feed welder I have and "weld". But can she weld good? Not a chance! I can't yet either, and I've actually put a little practice time in! Can someone who's created a Microsoft Access database create an Oracle database? Maybe (but probably not). Could they create it correctly? Not a chance! But, can anyone learn to weld? Yes. Can anyone learn to be a database architect? Yes.

All that said, then maybe I should say that want to get good at running beads, not become a welder...<g>

Btw, don't "crawl back in your hole", always speak your mind! With people that matter in your career, just be sure to do it in a professional manner. That way, they'll take you seriously.

Best regards,
Dave

Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-26-2002 15:52
Well I found a cheap video ($25) on how to become a Certified Web Master in 3 easy lessons.

Look out web surfers here it comes.

Is that PROfessional enough?
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-26-2002 20:18
ROTF!

You didn't post the URL for that web-master video...? (Just kidding!)

Dave
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 07-29-2002 13:20
You can probably find many video's out there , but probably not for $25.00. The cost to develop a video that is worth having in a six figure no. And one where you can't see the puddle just as you would when welding is not worth having. You will probably find some CDs that have short sequences. I suggest you contact several vocational welding teachers about borrowing one...or your local welding distributor for same thing.
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-07-2002 11:46
I ordered the $40 GTAW video from Miller. I may also order their CD, since you guys have indicated that it's got some good content. I'm hoping the CD will have some charts that suggest things like the power settings/electrode size/etc. for different types of welds by metal, or something along those lines...

Dave
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-08-2002 11:37
I received this video and watched it last night. It was helpful, but just a little disappointing for $40. It certainly visually reinforced all the technical information I've read about TIG, but I'm not that sure that I really got anything new out of it. Oh well, if nothing else, my wife actually watched it with me, and now she understands a little bit about why I want to get a more expensive TIG machine as opposed to a less expensive MIG machine...<g>.

Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Any sources of decent how-to videos?