Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / the only thing I can fillet is a Walleye
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-24-2002 21:24
These fillet welds- I have yet to fuse the two base metals together. I get one side or the other. Is this partly a function of the low amps on my 120 volt mig. Do the higher power migs give you a wider heat area, thus making it easier to fuse to both surfaces at once? I'm talking just 1/8 mild steel here. I seem to get a similar problem when trying to run multiple passes on flat welds. The first bead goes down good, then the succesive ones just want to stick to one side or the other. Three beads all on top of one another doesn't accomplish anything.
Parent - By John T. (*) Date 07-25-2002 04:25
If I'm reading this right your unit working from an input of 120v max.
Which tells me your probably asking a little much of your unit, even though it's only 1/8" material, this however is not a matter of fact just an opinion.
Parent - By stich585 (*) Date 07-25-2002 04:32
Sounds like you are still trying to figure out what you are looking for in your puddle. once you learn how to distinguish fusion, half your battle will be over. Practice, Practice and practice.
Parent - - By overthehill (*) Date 07-25-2002 05:12
Bzzzzzzzz this really shouldn't be this hard. Can you see the weld puddle and the joint during the weld? I'm not trying to be funny here. Are the lenses in your hood clean? What shade of lense are you using? Are you wearing glasses or using a magnifying lense? Is there enough ambient light?

Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-26-2002 02:06
the ambient light question has me wondering. Does the welder arc provide the light to read the puddle or should my work area be lit as though I were reading a book? I have a 500 watt halogen lite , but I usually get that out for a lot of measuring, painting etc. I just welded up a box to house a 12 volt acessory plug in my boat out of 20 gauge and it went quite well. Still kind of fought to see my workpiece and arc/puddle though. Ihave to move fairly fast, so a better view would definitely help. I seem to make "wrong turns" somtimes during the welding. All the welds on the box were outside joints though.
Parent - - By overthehill (*) Date 07-26-2002 06:53
Hey Bzzzzz, if your making outside corners on 20 gauge, your not doing too bad. Are you coming downhill with it? Slows things down a little. Yes, the ambient light helps quite a bit. Everyone says "welders make there own light" but it doesn't quite work that way. Too much contrast. When I was younger, it didn't matter that much. I'm an old man now, and can't hardly see it without extra light (and glasses and magnifiers). I made four adjustable stands for 500w hologen that I move around with me, but I prefer to work in the door of my shop. You have got to be able to see the puddle. These are all manual welding processes (even wire feed). You have to control the heat and weld build up by watching the molten puddle, all the time. 20 gauge is tough, cause it does go fast. With GMAW, you can push the puddle (angle the gun in direction of travel) and get a better view of the joint. With self shielding fluxcore, take the nozzle off for a better view. Make sure your lenses are clean, that really makes a difference. Depending what your using, you might also try a shade lighter lens. Walleye's? I haven't caught a walleye in 20 years. All I get to fish for are those nasty steelhead, chinooks, rainbows, and cutthroats.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-26-2002 11:12
Hey, I look forward to those nasty steelhead and salmon every fall here in MI. Nothing like wading knee deep in a river and hooking a "horse with fins"! But for tablefare- Give me them walleyes. Thanks for the post. Also, I may go back to a #9 lens again. Using a 10 gold right now.
Parent - - By stich585 (*) Date 07-27-2002 01:23
Stay with the ten. Think about an eleven. Or you will probably end up an old welder needing cheater lenses and portable halogen lights. LOL. Just pulling your leg overthehill. I notice a difference between welding in a well lit area and a dark area. Ambient light is important unless it is pitch black I.E. night time. But if you have the right heat and speed, you should still be able to see the puddle with a ten. I would agree with checking your clear lens to make sure it is clean. Also, you may be experiencing a build up of smoke between your clear lens and gold filter leaving a brown residue that can be hard to see thru. I still say what you probably need is practice.
Parent - - By stich585 (*) Date 07-27-2002 01:24
p.s. All they have down here in az worth catching are bass. Always wanted to try walleye.
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-27-2002 03:05
we are spoiled when it comes to lakes. Take a look at a MI map and notice all the small lakes on it. Now be reminded that there are about a zillion more too small to put on the map! plus we are surrounded by a bunch of huge great lakes. Of course, all this creates those comfy 98% humidity days with temps in the 90's too. and snow up to yor our aise!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-27-2002 05:14
Try going outside in the sun to weld it's wonderful how much better you can see.

There may be some information in the fact that you can do outside corners on 20ga. If you don't have to set your machine way back to do it it's saying that the machine doesn't produce very much power (otherwise you would have trouble melting the edges back). If you now go to an inside corner (even with thin material like 20ga.) you have to heat more metal (the surface has to melt for fusion to happen). If you don't have power it's difficult (not impossible).

Clean the metal to a bright surface. It takes power to dig through mill scale.

Try the smallest wire you can. Concentrates the power you have on a smaller area.

Run narrow beads. Again concentrates power.

Take your time. It takes time to build up heat.

Stay with the 20ga. thin is easier to heat than thick.

If you could find somebody who welds well perhaps you could convince him (her) to try your machine perhaps it has some undetected defect. If you do make sure there are two helmets around so you can watch. Sometimes there is an epiphany once you see it done.

You seem stubborn enough to guarantee ultimate success.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / the only thing I can fillet is a Walleye