Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Duplex stainless steels
- - By firstpass (**) Date 05-02-2010 11:57
I would like some information on the welding of duplex stainless steels.  Any reference materials would be appreciated.  How does it differ from austenitic stainless steels?  What techniques and skill sets need to be changed?   Interpass, fitup. thermal conductivity.

Thank you
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-02-2010 14:13
How does it differ....
DUPLEX is the keyword here :)

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 03:53
Will send a copy of some good information to your e-mail listed in contact details.  Keep an eye on your junk mail folder!
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-03-2010 04:35
You better send it to firstpass as I am well aware of how to weld duplex and super duplex.

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 10:13
I was responding to firstpass and wouldn't bother sending you a copy anyway.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-03-2010 12:08
And I doubt you would have any info usefull to me :)
It showed as your reply was to me.

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 12:31
By the "quality" of your response I know I wouldn't have any useful information for you.  Obviously the reason you have been on my "blocked" list until recently, some things never change.  Have you EVER made a positive response in our Forum?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-03-2010 12:38
Yes I have.

Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 12:39 Edited 05-03-2010 12:41
They are FAR AND FEW between you arrogant pr*ck. And you do not come even close to jon20013 so don't even try.

jrw159
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 13:35
3.2 is back on my "Ignore List" as the one and only guest.  He is honestly an embarrassment to our Forum.  Really a shame someone who "might" have a slight clue can't seem to find some way to use it positively.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 14:02
"He is honestly an embarrassment to our Forum.  Really a shame someone who "might" have a slight clue can't seem to find some way to use it positively."

I totally agree.

jrw159
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-04-2010 06:12 Edited 05-04-2010 06:17
Firstpass,
Not sure how to post attachments but if I can work it out will send something through.
Cheers,
Shane

PS. Powerpoint presentations too big.
PM me and I will send some data through
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-03-2010 11:26
Firstpass,
we are doing a scrubber job in Texas right now that has a lot of Duplex S.S duct work. (2205) We are using GTAW/FCAW and it welds alot like 316L S.S. If you have welded 316L S.S then you should not have any problems. Our interpass temps are 300F max. Fit-up is typical of austenitic S.S. Bill Newell with Metrode/Euroweld has some very good info on this subject. The only issue we have had with it is when using the GTAW process, there is a nitrogen depletion that takes place so we had to introduce nitrogen into the weld via the sheilding gas. 98%-2%. Did not effect weldability.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 11:32
Good advice Jim.  Bill Newell is a giant in our industry and a long term friend of mine, I'd trust him with my life on virtually ANY welding matter!  I'm surprised js55 hasn't chimed in on this as he literally wrote the book for AWS duplex guide and might well be one of the world's leading experts on topic!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-10-2010 13:02
Appreciate the confidence jon. Been away at Code Week and I don't own a personal laptop. Go figure.
Was just talkin about getting one last night. I'm not much a tech guy so I'm usually quite reluctant to take the plung. But there is no escaping it.
Anyway. To address the thread on duplex, the welding of it is not difficult at all. Its acheiving specific results pertaining to phase balance, chemistry, corrosion testing, homogenaeity, etc. that is problematic. All these reasons for its very existence.
The primary diffrence between duplex and austenitics as far as weling is concerned is that low heat input is not necessarily beneficial. With austenitics it is generally recommended to keep it low. With duplex is more of window phenomena. You can run it too 'cold'.
For example, duplex primary solidifcation is ferrite, so cooling it too fast can create too high a ferrite level, reduced corrosion, reduced toughness, and susceptibility to hydrogen cracking (though extremely rare it has been shown to occur).
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 18:26
Here you go Firstpass...

http://www.euro-inox.org/pdf/map/Guidelines_Fabrication_Duplex_EN.pdf

Somebody's itching for attention here, yet when he gets it, he becomes so obnoxiously abrasive that it's obvious he's looking to bait some of us into an argument of some sort to boost his ego which more than likely has been bruised lately for some reason or another...

That is the reason I believe our poor misguided 3.2 has decided to once again rear his alter ego in here as he has done in the past... Ignore him and he will get the message, but if you give him any credibility at all, he will ride that snowball all the way down the mountain taking whoever decides to tangle with him along for the ride...

Like I said before, Ignore him and he will get the message to fade away and behave until he gets bored again and is itching for a pointless argument again. ;) His MO is quite obvious to all of us by now, so why bother to give him any sort of rationalization to continue???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-03-2010 18:39
If one does not understand WHY it is called (super) duplex, how can he take the needed precautions?

Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-04-2010 13:11
Henry thank you for posting the link for the duplex ss steels  Joe
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 06:12 Edited 05-05-2010 11:52
Henry, you are wrong (again)
My ego has never been better, just got a new deal.....USD XXX a month, free of tax.
How much (more) are you worth these days?

EDIT:----> :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-05-2010 06:45
So this allows you to be even more of a jerk??? Now don't spend it all in one place now!!! :) :) :) Btw, I'm priceless!!! :) :) :) You should know better than to compare yourself with my worth, or have you already forgotten??? I'm happy that you're making that much money per month, and I pray for your continued success, but what does that have to do with you acting like such a jerk again, because for awhile there, you were actually behaving rather well in here???

Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 06:49
You asked about my ego, I told you why it is fine.
I am high on coffee and bored, thank good I am flying out again tonight.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-05-2010 06:52
Just as I suspected... I knew something was influencing your attitude... Have a nice trip!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 11:53
Thank you.

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-05-2010 10:08
My biggest month this year has been $37K USD Tax Free but you don't hear me dancing around with it.  I guess it just proves there's a sucker born every minute of the day.  By the way, I've been on current assignment for nearly 3 years, hope you can do as well in trying to hold up a position that SHOULD include some ability to effectively communicate with people.  Oh and by the way, just because my post follows Henry's it is directed towards you 3.2/
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 11:52
I am not dancing aroung with it, I simply told Henry why my ego (as he call it) was so big.
How can you read my post when I am on ignore?

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-05-2010 12:03 Edited 05-05-2010 12:39
I can read it because I have x-ray vision.  Big money is no reason to have a giant ego.  Never mind, I'm sure you wouldn't get that concept.

EDIT:  In order to keep from sounding like some "others" in here, the point is that a little humility goes a long way towards bonding with colleagues and associates.  Just like the old western movies, there is ALWAYS "quicker gun" (or more intelligent person) in our business. 

Speaking for myself only, with well over 35 years experience, I hope you don't see me rushing around commenting rashly and with a swollen head... please, keep this in mind as it may just come to your benefit one day. 

We were ALL beginners or less than experts at one time and the original poster of this thread asked a good question so there was no need to belittle him!
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 12:48
I did not belittle him - not at all!

Imagine this: If I said the same as I wrote in my first post directly to him (Duplex is the keyword here) and now imagine this: could it be that my comment meant that he should give some thoughts to WHY it is called duplex and perhaps start to investigate about ferrite and austenite.

It is so easy just to ask "how should I weld this" next time he encounter something new, he will just ask again.
IMO is it better to analyze the potential problem/challenge ahead of you before asking "how should I do"

I do know that I am arrogant, but think about if my post sometimes seem more arrogant than they are meant, both due to me not being english, but also because written words in general seem more arrogant that they are supossed to.

In "real life" I am a humble person.

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-05-2010 13:09
Understood.  Also understand sometime asking people to try thinking things through before asking... but then a very large reason for the Forum is people helping people. 

I can remember my first Mentor trying to explain D1.1 terms to me and me thinking he was talking a foreign language.  We just need to remember that there are many aspects to our field and not everyone has our experience. 

I'm glad the original poster took time to allow us to help point him in the correct direction and hope he found the information we provided useful.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-05-2010 13:21
I had rather seen a question like this: Why is cooling rate important, why is interpass temperature important, etc, etc...
That would had shown that he has a real interest in learning about this material, of course you get stuck at a certain point and have to ask.

Last year I asked about a problem my brother had regarding x-ray, we used 2 nights to eliminate all possible courses (that we could think of) before asking, our technical knowledge proved to be insufficient and I got many great answers from this forum and learnt a lot.

You can put me on ignore now as I think this debate is over :)

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-06-2010 03:39
DAMN !!!  X-Ray Vision !!! Take THAT You film flippers. The next generation in NDT is here !!!
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 05-09-2010 23:10
3.2 watch out for the Chinese tax man, this is not a tax free country! China has specific rules for foreigners working here and you must obey their rules or you can end up in big trouble. The biggest problem is when you are liable to pay tax, how do you pay it. If you are here under a business visa then that is no good. For a kick off you need a temporary residence permit and be employed by a registered Chinese company. I had to change from SNC Lavalin Australia to SNC Lavalin Shanghai so that I could pay tax.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-10-2010 11:58
It's all taken care of :)

Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 05-10-2010 03:26
Volunteer Membership:
American Council of IIW - Individual Members
Commission XI on Pressure Vessels, Boilers and Pipelines
Commission XIV on Education and Training
Select Committee for Quality Management in Welding and Allied Processes (SCQUAL)
Committee on Procedure and Performance Qualification
Subcommittee on Duplex Pipe Welding
US TAG for ISO/TC 44/SC5, Testing and Inspection of Welds
US TAG for ISO/TC 44/SC10, Unification of Requirements in the Field of Metal Welding
US TAG for ISO/TC 44/SC11, Approval Requirements for Welding and Allied Processes Personnel

Jon what is the purpose of attaching the above to every post you make? "Voluntary" does that mean you do not get paid? Get of 3.2's back. He speaks a lot of sense for someone whose mother tongue is not English. BTW you are the first American I have heard of who is not liable for US tax or even tax in Kaz.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-10-2010 13:08
What Volunteer means in my signature line is I am a volunteer member of the listed committee's and I post it in my signature line to encourage other professionals to also take part in committee works.  Volunteer, by definition means unpaid.  The work and time I spend with furthering committee's is strictly unpaid and even on my own expense.

As for taxes, not sure what qualifies you as an expert but my company provides a very large, internationally recognized firm to watch after our tax interests.

Maybe best for you to stick with issues you know about and please, don't throw fuel on the fire of a settled matter regarding discussions with other members in here unless you want to do so privately.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-11-2010 00:07
The one question which comes to mind is this sudden appearance of "Nantong" who has been keeping a relatively low profile as of late ever since he emerged so coincidentally right after "Nanjing" was banned from here (It shouldn't be too difficult to use a different e-mail address and name in order to sign up  in here if one is initially banned)... Hmmmm...

Starting trouble again Billy??? You're picking on the wrong person in Jon because he is one of the BEST PEOPLE IN HERE!!! 3.2 is in a different category all together!!! ;)

I suggest you behave in a more respectful manner towards members in here with as many diamonds as we have because after all,
we earned them and you have yet to earn yours - CAPECHE???

Henry
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 05-11-2010 02:04
Sincere apologies Jon, I understand your commitment to voluntary work now. To me I mistakingly took it as a statement of self-importance. I am sorry. With regard to tax issues I think I know  a bit. I have worked abroad since 1976 in many countries. I have never had to pay UK tax whilst working abroad as this is the law in the UK however I have worked with many Americans over the years abroad who still have to pay US tax (Aussies are now the same since last year!). If you are not liable for US tax I stand corrected in front of everyone.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-11-2010 02:07
There is a thing called Tax Equalization.  I don't really understand it but my company's accounting firm does so thats all that matters to me.  It has something to do with me being outside of the USA and my "official" pay is from Dubai... US taxes are paid, of course, its just that my company pays them on my behalf.

EDIT:  Rergarding self importance, I've been around that many years that I realize there are many, many,. many people who are lots smarter and more educated than me! I have no need to blow my own horn!
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 05-11-2010 02:53
I know all about tax equalisation. So bottom line is your US tax is paid, that is your net income has the tax already deducted. So you pay US tax. Not really tax free.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-12-2010 12:26
Nantong,
How do you pay tax when you get paid in gold bars ?

I'll keep struggling along on my bag of rice a day. LOL !!
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By nantong (**) Date 05-12-2010 15:47
Pay tax? Simple, cut a bit off the end of a gold bar!

Off to the Beijing Essen Welding Fair at the end of this month with E (she doesn't know yet, she has never been to Beijing!).

Anyway stick to the rice, highly reccommended for Gypsys' dogs I have heard!

Keep in touch

John
Parent - By Flash Date 05-16-2010 00:32
Shane
I bet ya that bag of rice would struggle to fit onto the back of a semi ;o)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-11-2010 03:08
There used to be an exclusion for Americans who were legally cleared into a forign country at least 330 [if I remember the number] days of the calender year not being liable for US tax on money earned outside the US. I don't know if this law still stands.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-11-2010 03:29
It's still on the books Dave, it allows about $90,000 exeption for those who meet the rules which, interestingly enough are known as IRS Section 911  !!!!

It has to do with 330 days out of USA but there are also other criteria that can be considered.  Since I've only spent 13 days in the USA since July 2008, I definately qualified!
- By ant Date 05-12-2010 10:47
I realy enjoy the content of this form lol hahaaa
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Duplex stainless steels