Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / interview tom. for ironworkers union
- - By zackhodge (*) Date 05-02-2010 23:40
just kinda wondering if i should dress up? how did anyone of you dress? i dont have a weld test or anything.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-03-2010 01:05 Edited 05-03-2010 01:08
What do you call a welder in a suit and tie?

Defendant!

I would think a firm hand shake with callouses would be a better selling point than your fashion statement.
Good luck with your interview.
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 05-03-2010 01:32
i agree haha kinda a stupid question but im young and just wanted to make sure
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 05-03-2010 01:48
zack, NO earrings,piercings ,droopy baggy pants,hats turned sideways( makes you look stupid and a wanna-be badass) firm handshake, lookem' in the eyes not at the floor!!!!!, and tellem' you like hardwork,outdoors,winter weather and traveling anywhere in the state, also let them know you can follow instructions being told 1 time only...... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!GO PENS home of LORD STANLEY!!!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 10:41
Good advice!

Al
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 10:57
At my interview for the Pipefitters I had a nice pair of wranglers that were ironed and fit properly, no holes, stains etc. A belt, and a short sleeve cotton button up shirt(it was summertime), tucked in of course, did not do the very last button(the choker button), no tie. Hair cut was fresh, clean shave, actually did not have any nice shoes so it was plain work boots. If you wear cologne, don't today, just the good ol' arm pit stuff. I went like this and got called about two weeks later to get hired on, so must have been ok. You want to dress like this is important to you and so they will notice that you at least took the time(not a crawled out of bed going to work look). What I've always learned is dress for the occupation, obviously dr's, business folks suit, tie type of thing but mechanics, welders, trades folks, nice pair of jeans, button up shirt etc. Good luck hope this works out for you!!

Shawn
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-03-2010 11:58
Buy Rosetta Stone and learn Italian. Tell them you LOVE the Soprano's
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 05-03-2010 17:11
LOL! (I'm Italian, my gramps was a teamster)
- By joe pirie (***) Date 05-03-2010 23:54
I wonder if the Ben Franklin handshake works at the ironworkers  lol
- By sillyslik (**) Date 05-04-2010 01:14
lol! barrel in the parking lot just this side of outta control! bootleg into the front parking space and make empty bottles fall out and hit the ground! stroll in  and yell out who wants ta work!lol! nah really good luck! aclean shave clean shirt and positive attitude speak loud!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / interview tom. for ironworkers union