Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Phase one complete, thanks for the help everyone...
- - By devo (***) Date 05-03-2010 11:03
The first and most difficult phase of my current project is finished.  I am making a new sign for the New River Gorge Convention and Visitors Bureau.  A very auspicious name for a humble little building in Oak Hill, WV which had an ugly little sign before, but soon will have a kickass new sign.  The structure is a not quite to scale model of the NRG Bridge, and will soon have the sign hanging from the arch and will have bushes planted around to simulate the sides of the gorge.  Following the advice of folks here (thanks Bob Garner and others)  I dug two holes 18" around and 38" deep for the anchors.  17 bags of concrete later (mixed by hand) we were ready for the um.. erection.  About a dozen of my friends and fellow river guides were more than happy to help me with my erection, and it went up just like I thought it would.  The arch took about 12 hours of flame bending, and the rest was fairly straightforward cutting, fitting and welding.  I drilled the 1" dia. holes [8] in the .75" baseplate using a hole saw on a little 1/3 HP drill press.  llllotttss offf chchchattttterrr, but it worked.  I got the anchor bolts from AA Anchor bolt in Michigan, and they were happy to do small orders and shipped promptly.  All in all, I am quite happy with the result, and this is the most high profile job I have done so far, so hopefully it will lead to more.  Once again, thanks to all on this forum, couldn't have done it without you.
Attachment: CVBsign3.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 14:39
Very nice!...Resembles the bridge over the Gorge.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2010 15:49
Nice work.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Phase one complete, thanks for the help everyone...