Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hardfacing and welding cost approaches ?
- - By fatehy88 (*) Date 05-06-2010 22:40
i want to know what is meant by hardfacing in welding ?
as i read when you determine the cost of welding : there are three approaches one is called cost per unit,cost per length , and cost per weight ( which the article said it is used for hardfacing applications requiring significant quantities of metal to be replaced by welding ) so i want to know what is the difference between them and what is meant by hardfacing application ??
here is the site for welding cost approaches : http://weldingdesign.com/processes/news/wdf_10760/index.html
thanks in advance
mohamed fatehy
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 05-06-2010 22:53
fatehy88
Hardfacing is a welding technique to harden an area, rebuild old, worn-out components, and just about what it says.
They were using it as a prime example to figure welding costs per weight.
Hope this helps
Marshall
Parent - - By fatehy88 (*) Date 05-06-2010 23:16
thank you dear marshall for your help but actually i want to know is the hard facing is any operation required high deposited metal or not ?
so i am working on estimating cost for pipe welding (carbon steel pipes) with different thicknesses and different root gabs,..... etc and other parameters
and it will may require multi number of passes which cost approach i can use ??
thanks
Parent - By strother (***) Date 05-07-2010 00:48 Edited 05-07-2010 00:52
If you are welding pipe hardfacing has nothing to do with it. Hardfacing can be deposited in several methods but none of those should be used to join pipe!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-07-2010 02:04
I think You are best figuring the cost for each type of joint in each diameter and wall thickness of pipe You will use.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-07-2010 02:49
Are you dealing with internal errosion arrest issues? Many times, it is economically better to use a cross hatch pattern or a perpindicular "dam"  bead sequence to retard errosion. Need a bit more info to give you a more informed response.
Hard face is usually best used in the philosophy that "less is more". There are overlayed/clad materials available that can be applied at a better cost per installation ratio for flat stock.
- - By fatehy88 (*) Date 05-07-2010 19:01
thank you very much all for your replies but
i want to know if determining cost per length (foot) is wright for pipe welding ??
this pipes is carbon steel pipes which may be large thickness and large diameter,
also it will not be filled with only one pass as it may be required more than one pass and large amount may be deposited.
so i want to know if it wright to calculate the cost ($/foot) for one pass and multiply it with total length of pass to determine the cost for the 1st pass and add the costs of the other passes for the same welding joint ?? is it wright or wrong .
and how can i calculate the length of pipe ( which contain outer and inner diameter ) can i use the average diameter as a circumference (length) for the pipe and multiply it with the area to determine the volume .
thank you very much .
Parent - By fatehy88 (*) Date 05-10-2010 01:28
Dear all i want to update my question if anyone can help me about previous and what is the difference between cost approaches ? especially for pipes .
thanks alot
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hardfacing and welding cost approaches ?