Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG: Square wave or not?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-28-2002 21:44
Can anyone tell me what AC square wave (like in Miller Syncrowave 180 SD, Lincoln Square Wave 175 Pro, etc.) buys you vs. AC w/ non-square wave (like in Miller EconoTIG, Hobart TIGMATE)? I understand what square wave means (the AC waveform is truly square rather than a typical AC sine wave). I also understand that with a sine wave the voltage and current fall off and return gradually, where with square wave this switch in polarity happens instantaneously. Both will weld aluminum, but what does the square wave actually buy you? When is it applicable or useful (or absolutely necessary)?

Dave
Parent - By awill4wd (**) Date 07-29-2002 11:46
Dave, square wave machines have a couple of very useful features not available with ordinary sine wave machines. I don't have experience with the smaller range of welding products but I can comment on our Miller Syncrowave 250.
Probably the most important factor is the ability to adjust the AC balance on the machine so that either more positive or negative side of the cycle can be introduced depending on whether your after more or less penetration. Another benefit is the ability to introduce ramp up or ramp down and to use crater fill. These don't apply if your using a foot or handpiece current control.
Also pulse control can be had as an option.
The next step which we have gone is with our new OTC machine which is a pulsed hybrid wave inverter. This is similar to Miller's top of the range Aerowave and allows adustable hertz control, even greater AC balance control and in hybrid wave the ability to introduce DC wave into the AC wave for even greater flexibility.
The aerowave and our OTC machine are both very much top of range Tig machines.
If you can afford to go square wave, I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2002 12:22

There is no need for high frequency arc stabilization since there is essentially no time in the cycle in which there is reduced current flow.

I have only used this type of equipment one time and it was great. There didn't seem to be any problem with getting shocked when dipping the wire into the puddle either. (I imagine because there was no high frequency).

Have a nice day

G Austin

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2002 13:53
Dave to answer your question first most directly. NO Square wave technology is not a requirement to make good quality welds in aluminum alloys with AC Tig.

Having said that, my advice would be to spend the extra money to get it anyhow. As I explain what *Square Wave* is I think you will come to understand why.

Squarewave is the AC output of a power source that has the ability to rapidly switch between the positive and negative half cycles of alternating current. This is accomplished with advanced circuitry. Where the normal AC sine wave is smooth, the sharp corners of the square wave represent the quickness of the change between polarities and can also be used to represent balance control (dwell time on each side of the half cycle). Greater amounts of EN create a deeper, narrower weld bead and better joint penetration. Greater EP values remove more oxide and create a shallower, wider bead. Transformer-rectifier GTAW machines can adjust EN values from 45 to 68 percent.
The faster and sharper the machine can switch between polarities the greater the chance is that the AC arc will remain smooth. When an arc breaks between the half cycles and does not reinitiate (this is called rectification) the welder experiences popping and lack of smoothness in the arc and reduced quality in the welds.

The Square Wave power source will help to eliminate rectification and provide balance control which is often needed when welding a variety of aluminum or magnesium alloys. If you're looking at high production, heavy castings or a large variety of different aluminum components the square wave machine will offer flexibility the lesser machines just don't have. There are some jobs that a square wave power source with balance control can do that lesser machines just cant.

Every square wave Tig power source machine (with the exception of the most expensive models) come with an option (switch) to use superimposed high frequency. Let me be very clear on the following point. With basic square wave welding power sources superimposed high freq. is required! The machines mentioned in the above post (Miller Aerowave and the OTC) are exceptions and are most easily envisioned as machines with two separate power sources (one DCEP and one DCEN) and a computer that controls them and switches them back and forth at variable amperage and frequency. We are NOT talking about these unless you have about $9,000 bucks to just get started.
Besides, with a normal welder it won't take you long to discover the working benefits of Continuous High freq. once you try to work without it.

Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-29-2002 14:17
Thanks for the posts, comrades. In a nutshell, it sounds like you're saying that square wave = better arc stability = easier to get a better neater looking weld, right?

What I'm trying to figure here is which TIG machine would be a good one to start with (and which one am I most likely to be able to keep without needing to upgrade). The candidates are:

1) Lincoln Square Wave 175 Pro vs. Miller Syncrowave 180 SD: I don't want to start a brand debate here, but I'd like to know if either of these machines has features that the other simply does not. From the specs, they look very similar. Both are square wave, but both have a fixed or "automatic" balance control.

2) Miller EconoTIG (Hobart TIGMATE, same machine): these are not square-wave, but seem to have the other features. Since the above models are only about $200 more than these sine wave models, I'm thinking I might be less likely to "outgrow" one of the above two than these too entry-level models. Is the square wave feature and a little more power worth an additional 15% or so in the purchase price? I dunno, please give me your opinions!

Also, are they any other brands/models in the same price range that I should consider?

Dave
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2002 14:31
Dave,

You may not like this advice but here goes.

Powersources with Automatic AC balence removes the control (craftsmanship) right out of your hands. A dedicated student, "which you appear to be" can learn the basics of AC Balence Control fundimentals by welding about 20 pop cans together (Don't tell Ron). The Square wave powersource with Balence Control are not the over-complicated, Opressive and intimidating face plate that you might think.

Machines with real balence control surely cost a bit more. But I would be willing to bet that anybody who tig welds Aluminum for a living will concur with me that its much nicer to have the ability to over rule the machine and do it the way you want!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2002 15:00
Just a PS,

http://www.machinist.org/army_welding/ch10.htm

I just picked this one up. It will give hints to the whole power source matter and also answer your other post conserning Constant Current Drooping Voltage Vs. Constant Voltage powersources in full detail with graphs and charts too! This website is a goldmine for the applied student who is short of cash.
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-29-2002 15:57
Excellent site. Thanks for the post!

Dave
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-30-2002 02:57
Lawrence:

So tell me this: how useful is square-wave WITHOUT user-selectable balance control? Would I notice a difference between a sine wave unit and a square wave unit if the balance is fixed? (I'm assuming the answer is "yes" in that the arc would be smoother and more stable, I just wouldn't be able to adjust the penetration vs. cleaning, right?)

Thanks for all the answers!
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG: Square wave or not?