Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig pipe welding thimbles
- - By pumahvac (*) Date 05-07-2010 21:52
does anyone use wooden thimbles on fingers while tig welding pipe. i was told that fitters in mich. use them (they can't walk the cup?)? they are used to keep fingers from getting too hot while supporting tig rig.
Parent - By alan domagala (**) Date 05-08-2010 03:29 Edited 05-08-2010 03:34
I use one of the metal finger splint things that you can get at a drug store for when you bust a finger. I dont use to help me walk the cup though, just to keep from burning my finger if i have to rest it on the pipe. A co-worker of mine says some people call them "wine-o fingers" because after a night of drinking, you need some help keeping a steady hand. Works good.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 05-08-2010 03:50
I've used them doing heavy wall chrome pipe. It keeps me from burning up my finger and helps me walk the cup since the bevels are so tight you can do it normally.
Parent - - By revpol Date 05-08-2010 05:21
when I'am "freehanding" I cut the thumbs off a old pair of welding gloves and slip them over the pinkies of my tig gloves.  revpol
Parent - - By pumahvac (*) Date 05-08-2010 11:00
thanks guys, revpol i was thinking the same thing. i tried a old hole saw bit. ground down teeth. it's a little heavy and bulky though.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 05-08-2010 19:21
fold over some fire blanket and a little tape.
Parent - - By smithcd2208 (**) Date 05-09-2010 00:06
Not just any tape, 3m scotch 27 fiberglass high temperature electrical tape :D
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-09-2010 00:59
I use the large gas lens size ceramic cups or the cut off glove finger trick.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-10-2010 21:12
I used those aluminized welding pads to act as "hand sliders" I would slip them over my wrist and rest that on the pipe. never done it with thimbles.   I learned to walk the cup in michigan so we aren't all idiots out there.
Parent - - By pumahvac (*) Date 05-10-2010 23:57
i didn't mean to imply that you couldn't walk the cup, rather that the procedures didn't allow walking the cup. I appricate all the help. i'm going for my UA 22 thursday. i think the use of thimbles is for larger pipe, and free handing caps.
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 05-11-2010 04:37
This is my technique on small pipe between 2 and 4 in.
I take a piece of scoth brite pad and put ALUMINUM FOIL TAPE on both side.
Cut the pad between  2 & 3 in wide and just so it fits around the diameter  of pipe you are using.
The pads are very flexible and can be rotated around the pipe or it doesn't have to move at all.
You can use a long piece of velcro on the outside diameter of the sleeve to keep it in place.
With this sleeve, you can rest both hands on the pipe. 
Just make sure you have foil tape on the inside and outside
of the  pad to keep the heat away from your hands.
The pads are usually brown and about 4 X 6 in.
I've done many procedures and that's all i ever use.
If one pad is too short, then just tape two of them together.
dh
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig pipe welding thimbles