Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / AWS D1.2/D1.2M Qualification questions
- - By six5design Date 05-11-2010 23:24
I am looking for a clear interpretation of weld failures. 
Weld Tests, proper testing procedures, what is to be done if the weld failure is in question???

Can anyone assist me?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-12-2010 13:18
How is the weld failure is in question?
Parent - - By six5design Date 05-12-2010 15:05
On a 3rd party weld evaluation, if a crack is found in an Aluminum weldment, what is the proper procedure to follow?  Do you cut two more samples from the same specimen?  Or does it flat out fail? 

To give you a quick overview of the failure, It starts at the seam between the two mating surfaces and propagates about .015" into root of weld.  Is there a hard # that states if the crack is X dimension it is a fail?  I'm asking because if you zoom in close enough, wouldn't this crack eventually show up? 

Also what is to be done if the 3rd party evaluation is skewed due to the way the weldment was cut apart, meaning the way it was processed could have an adverse affect on whether there is a crack in this particular joint.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-12-2010 16:50
I'm still not sure exactly what we are talking about, but if we are talking about a procedure qualification you utilize the code acceptance criteria.
ASME really has nothing for visual evaluation of cracks for procedure quals on as welded surfaces. It relies on mechanicals and visuals of bends.
AWS does have visual acceptance (4.8.1.1)for as welded surfaces and says no cracks at all.
However, if there is no requirement for magnification beyond visual reference in either.
Parent - - By six5design Date 05-12-2010 19:56
Thank you
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 07-13-2010 15:07
The way I understand D1.2 inspection, a crack is a failure.  Production part repair would entail grinding beyond the crack a rewelding.  If your qualifying a person, I believe the radiograph would have found it. A crack is like an arc mark, failure, scrap.

Sorry,

Keith
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / AWS D1.2/D1.2M Qualification questions