Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Argon Back-ups
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-12-2010 19:13
Made by a student this week.

Flat, inside and outside corners.

Pretty nice for a first effort.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-13-2010 15:55
pretty good,

I mentioned this before. WE used sintered material for the faces of our argon purge cups, can't take pictures due to company policy but using sintered material lets the gas permeate through nice and evenly. They work really well assuming the sintered material wasn't satured with oil.
- - By aevald (*****) Date 05-12-2010 19:36
Hello Lawrence, what type of material and assembly method? Looks like possibly stainless steel that has been brazed/silver soldered? Looks good by the way. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-12-2010 20:35
Copper faces with stainless sides.

The tubes were GTAW with brazing wire at the connection.

Tubes inside the backups are "S" shaped or sometimes looped, with holes drilled on both sides to provide even gas flow.

The copper to stainless sides were just GTAW with 309 filler..

He was a little tight with the clamps on the flat one and that put some distortion on the corners.

They are quite handy... We used to make dozens of different shapes in the Aerospace repair biz.. The only real difference is that for the exotics it's best to chrome plate the copper to inhibit the possibility of dilution into the melt thru.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-22-2010 16:55
Looks good and he will probably have them in his toolbox the rest of his life.   I have got a few handy ones and some bendable trailer like ones I have made.   Those and my acrylic gas lenses are some of my most prized welding possessions.   I keep a good stock of sheet copper (20-30 pounds) .040-1/4 in my box for dry backups as well.  I tig welded most of mine with 347.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Argon Back-ups