Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM vs SAE
- - By Atthebeach2 Date 05-12-2010 20:28
Hi all,

I'm faced with finding an appropriate filler rod for a high yeild strength low alloy steel falling under the ASTM standard A514.
I'm wondering if there is an equivalent SAE number and from there I could select the right rod or if someone knows the right rod without cross-referencing the SAE numbers. I don't have the specific grade yet but I will in a week. I wonder if that even matters. I do have to get it right as this is an aviation  application so I can't take anyone's word for it I need a reference to a document for my paperwork. This is a tricky one. Any takers?
Parent - By cepennington (*) Date 05-12-2010 21:07
ASTM A-514 can be welded with an E11018 electrode for anything under 2 1/2" thick. Over 2 1/2" use an E10018. As far as SAE number, I'm not sure but I have heard it called the trade name T1. It is often used in crane booms, truck frames and rail car frames. Low Hydrogen is a must when welding A-514. Use wet electrodes, and it WILL CRACK. Make sure they are baked properly. I don't have a D1.1 with me, but I beleive A-514  is listed in table 4.9. Table 4.9 should be the documentation you need.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-12-2010 21:14
Years ago in the USA, they (I don't know for sure who) published a list called Unified Numbering System, abbreviated UNS, in which the steels under different standards, but having the same chemical and mechanical properties (or at least approximately the same), were grouped into the same UNS number.
That list is available on most engineering handbooks, including Perry's Chemical Engineer Handbook.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- - By Atthebeach2 Date 05-12-2010 22:01
Thanks very much pennington. However the process I'm using is GTAW. Any non-coated filler wire you know of that would work?
Parent - By cepennington (*) Date 05-12-2010 23:44
You would probably use an ER110S-1 with 100% Argon. Just a guess. I don't have any evidence to back that up. I know the tensile of A514 is around 110,000 psi. Someone with a little more experience in GTAW may be able to tell you more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM vs SAE