Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Clamp it with a chain and a jack
- - By aevald (*****) Date 05-13-2010 07:31
Hello folks, this is a slightly different version of a previous post that I made concerning methods for clamping things on a table or for cambering a channel,tube, or other shape. I've included a few pictures to show this method. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-14-2010 00:27
Both good ideas, but it takes a stronger table than I have.
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 04-13-2011 19:37
Allen,

I am glad I started keeping a folder on yours, and others neat ideas for getting things done. Tonight at work I am going to fab up something similar to your table top clamp. Unfortunately we have had several incident where the lift truck operators are hitting something with the squeeze attachments (carton and appliance clamps). In the process they bend the aluminum paddles (the paddles move towards each other and clamp the appliance or other products). The paddles are made out of 1/2" thick aluminum and are approx 4'x4-1/2', and have a rubber backing to help grip the product.

When we do a PM on the equipment we have to do pressure and alignment checks on the squeeze attachment. If the paddles are bent and can not be corrected using shims, we have to order a new paddle. These paddles are quite pricey. I really think your clamping method using the bottle jack will allow us to take enough of the bend out of the damaged paddles to put them back into use. We have tried using the weight of a forklift or yard truck to get some of the bend out, but this is some very strong aluminum, and we can not get the paddle anywhere near flat let alone going past the bend a little to allow for spring back. We may have to get some heavier chain or cable, and a bottle jack larger than our 20 ton............we will see what we come up with. If this works, this is going to save a big chunk of money from our department budget..............thanks for the great ideas.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-13-2011 19:50
Hello Pat, I hope it works out for you. Just keep in mind to be very careful not to be in the line of fire if any of the parts give out. Lots of stored energy in a set-up such as this, so please be very careful. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-14-2011 14:41
Two tarp straps attached to each end/side of chain from jack helps hold it in place and slows down the impact if the chain slips under pressure. Second use an all position hydraulic jack or porta-power for all position clamping.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-14-2011 04:23
Look at a chain sling table to see the difference the angle of the chains make on the aparent load, and size things accordingly.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-15-2011 01:51
Along with keeping out of the "line of fire" draping a strong, heavy tarp or mover's blanket over the chains slows them down a whole lot if something gives way.
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 04-15-2011 18:12 Edited 04-15-2011 18:17
Thank you for all the information. I kind of got side tracked with a bunch of break downs. When I get back to work after my scheduled days off, I need to look for a source that sells the heavy forged type of plate hooks. Right now the only ones I can find are the type that are basically bent heavy sheet metal. Anyone have an idea where I could find the forged type....thanks.

Dave,

Thank you for the idea of covering the chains. We have several of those heavy blankets that movers use that I think would work nicely.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-15-2011 18:26
Hello again Pat, here is an example of the type of clamp that is commercially available that might work for your particular application. Take a look at the Model HR clamp. http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/lifting_clamps/lifting_clamps.shtml

Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 04-19-2011 21:37
Allen,

Thank you very much for the link. I picked out a couple of hooks that would work for my intended purpose and submitted the parts order.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-20-2011 00:15
Awesome Pat, keep us informed on how things work out for you. As well, consider all of the additional safety points that everyone has contributed and good luck on your repairs. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Clamp it with a chain and a jack