Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Instructor evaulating of student practical Welds
- - By Plasma56 (**) Date 05-14-2010 20:07
Just posing a question...or two...or three, maybe four?
Presently, a welding apprentice is given a numercial grade during technical training for practical welds  in various positions eg.1F 2F 3F 4F 1G 2G 3G 4G 5G.
This numercial mark is presently based on a subjective visual exam by the instructors marking, for weld profile, size, shape and uniformity, as well deducting for visual defects such as undercut, excessive or insufficient reinforcement etc. on the cap and root pass, including deductions for overall appearance, stray arcs, porosity, underfill etc., as well rupture coldlap, inclusions of internal slag, porosity, after the cooling of the weld and subjected to a further visual exam following a guided bend test.
Do you think an actual mark for a weld coupon is required or would a pass/fail grade be acceptable?
That said, is it necessary that a document outlining detailed criteria for marking be developed which would allow for a more detailed system for deducting marks based on a weighting for each defect or severity of defect?
Have you educators any guidlines or criteria in place you wish to share?
Also, what point does the weld become a failure?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-14-2010 23:20 Edited 05-14-2010 23:25
Last question first....   A weld becomes a failure when the governing code says the discontinuity is large or severe enough to be recorded as a defect.  It can be that simple.

There are codes and standards aplenty!

It is alot easier to simply hold the welder to a published code criteria or curriculum standard... At least in my opinion.

If a student learner can *repeatedly* perform welds that pass a code criteria I can't see any justification to hold that student back because they dont make welds pretty enough.

For Carbon steel above 1/8"  I use AWS D1.1   For steel below that thickness I use either D1.3  or D9.1 depending on the process.

For Aluminum I use AWS D1.2  or D9.1 depending on the process.

For Stainless AWS D1.6    or D9.1 depending on the process.

Now... When you say "...This numercial mark is presently based on a subjective visual exam by the instructors... "     Are you saying this as an instructor or as a student??????...  Because it makes a big difference...  If you are a student it may only appear subjective from your perspective... It may be that your flaws are so severe that the instructor has not introduced code compliance and is only dealing with gross trends...  This usually changes as the learner begins to improve.

If you are a teacher than we can have a real discussion about objective evaluations and how much easier your life will become if you find a way to get your inspections to comply to a code.

Edit:
I keep the code book, steel rule, 10 Power, optical comparitor, fillet gauge and undercut gauge on my inspection desk with the code books right next to them.   I quit being the bad guy a long time ago... Its the dirty, mean code book that says you have to do it again.  Their can be no arguments if student learners do the inspections and measurements right along side the instructor.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-17-2010 21:40
In my experience, some type of subjective grading system is used during training last school I was at it was a 100 point scale. When doing actual destructive testing for welder qualification it was pass/fail. Either the weld MET the criteria and passed the destructive tests or it failed the criteria. no wiggle room, and out in the real world no one is gonna pay extra time to go make the weld bead look pretty if it's already passed all the code requirements (unless of course this is a cosmetic weld)

The grading system was used to set a standard higher than code criteria such that a 100% weld would without a doubt pass a qualification test every time. The qualification tests were merely the official side, and didn't need to be double graded.

As far as formal criteria, none existed at where i was. It was subjective to the teachers but as it was only an internal teaching tool it had no weight outside of the classroom. Therefore  we didn't need any documentation that went as far as showing weights for different types of deductions, severity of defect etc, the teacher used their own judgement and knowledge to determine the grade.  under our system a student would have to repeat the weld until the instructor thought it was sufficient to pass this usually equaled around an 80% grade.  A set of crown height and fillet gauges were provided so welders could check their own bead dimensions, and they were supposed to be within code tolerance to pass.

the point of training wasn't to split hairs in terms of what passed/failed but hold students to a standard higher than the codes such that when code work was done the goal posts seemed wide. We couldn't get away with cold lap, or undercut on any welds even though they would easily be code compliant. If
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-19-2010 15:02
It is difficult to put a numerical grade on a weld because there are so many variables. It is not like grading a written test where each answer has a specific numerical value. It is more like grading a students essay. The grading instructors opinion comes into play.As far as any weld code is concerned a weld is either acceptable or unacceptable. That's it. Nothing else. However at our school we are required by the New York State Education Department to formulate a grade that allows us to determine a students GPA for a marking period. This is difficult because you can take two welds from different students that would pass a given code, but are imperfect. One may have a certain amount of undercut, albeit acceptable undercut by the code, but nevertheless undercut and one may a different amount of acceptable undercut. How do you put a number grade on this? I use undercut as an example but it could be any discontinuity. And do you grade differently for different types of discontinuities based on which ones you feel are more critical? Is a little porosity more or less critical than a little undercut? You could really be splitting hairs. Again this is not how our industry evaluates welds. How would you grade a cosmotolgy student on a haircut? You as instructor may feel it is not a good haircut, but the customer may be quite happy with it. It's difficult at best.  When we grade our students we have all of our instructor give them a numerical grade simply for visual and then take the average of all to come up with a final weld grade. Although most of the time the instructors are close, sometimes there are slight differences. One instructor could give a student a 90 which would be an A and another would give the same weld an 88 which would be a B. If the student finds out that one guy would have given him an A and he ended up with a B it leads to alot of belly aching.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-19-2010 16:55
I don't see why it requires "subjective" rubrics to forumulate a letter grade in a welding curriculum or practical assignment.

Carl Perkins dollars are going to be more and more based on "objective" certifiable industry standards..  This is what the new AWS QC 10 and EG2.0 SENSE revisions are all about..(and my textbook series for that matter)  NCCR is also going to great lengths to note their dovetailing with SENSE entry level welder certification and qualification standards.  If secondary schools don't get on board with objective criteria for competencies they are going to be scrambling to comply when their money is suddenly cut off.  Audits will be the way of the future in this regard.

Get this far in the curriculum you have an "A"... get this far get a "B"  etc.  Along with written exams and a heavy value on attendence and industrial professionalisim (which by the way can be easy to objectively evaluate) a good systemic and objective learning plan can be put in place..

If educational institutions are not evaluating student competencies in the same way that industry evaluates professional competencies..  They do a disservice to the student learners and themselves.  Harsh truth.

Again... I have no heartburn with instructors using judgement that causes students to repeat welds/competencies that are already code compliant.  Or for them to point out discontinuities that are not defects and having student learners repeat the exercise to master how to control discontinuities.  Thats part of teaching/learning.  But the grading/evaluation that goes into the books, in my opinion should be compliant or not compliant... Go - No go.

Read a WPS....... Set up a power supply from Parade Rest... Prepare base metal within WPS limits.....Select filler metal according to WPS....Shield Gas according to WPS... Apply welds while observing WPS inspection hold points... Student/Teacher visual inspection for code compliance.... Destructive Inspection (code compliant)... All of these things are objective, and together can be used for an objective summative grade.

Moral of the story:::::
Good teachers and motivated learners make good welders...  But life is alot easier for everybody involved if criteria is objective.

Lastly... In my opinion it is far more important for student learners to have a grasp of inspection criteria that comes directly from an industrial code and what they need to do in order to comply, than it is for them to be able to make perfect welds.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 05-20-2010 04:10
Depends on how training is set up.

I grade go / no go on individual welds.  However the "go" standard is simply "my statisfaction" for about the first year.

Even though we are a welder training program, initially the welds themselves are somewhat incidental to other assignment tasks such as cutting and bevelling with a torch, measuring, locating and drilling bolt holes, prepping and fitting connections on beam and tubes, looking up operating parameters on the internet, setting up and operating the common manual and semi-autmatic welding processes, gouging and backgouging with an air arc, and operating various equipment like saws, an iron worker, clamp on pipe beveler, etc.   This is all first quarter stuff.

The assignments are challenging right off the bat.  Among other things the first quarter includes a beam column connection, AC TIG, 2G open root pipe, and butt welding square tubes 5G and 6G with V and bevel grooves.  All of those except the AC TIG are done outside, and the students have an overhead crane to move their assignment components around.

The main emphasis early on is on the ability to prep and fit the joints properly.

During this time the standard for the welds may start out as simple as fill the joints completely, to the size specified, without visible slag inclusions, and with a reasonable profile for the current level of experience.   As a student advances in the program the "go" criteria becomes more and more demanding, eventually reaching welder qualification standards.  Training eventually includes assingments on the D1.1 visual acceptance and WABO welder qualification testing criteria.

I wouldn't want to get into "grading" welds myself other than pass / fail.
- - By Plasma56 (**) Date 05-19-2010 17:46
To follow up what I started, I will try to upload some pictures to support the original question regarding marking. Seemingly however, my picture files, while high quality images are to large???
I do offer up this explaination regarding marking ctiteria for a creating a numercial mark that we use.

COVER PASS Weight 40% (Groove Weld)

-Weld Profile (Size and uniformity), Value 20 points
-Undercut, Value of 10 points
-Overall appearance (Stray Arcs etc.), Value 10 points

PENETRATION Weight 40% (Root Pass)

-Incomplete or Excessive (Uniformity), Value 20 points
-Lack of tie-ins or fusion, Value 10 points
-Undercut,Value 10 points

INCLUSIONS Weight 20% (After Bending)

-Porosity / Slag
-Rupture / Cold lap

While this totals 100% in principle, practice usually results in a high mark of 90% max, and it, 90%, is rarely given. 30 Students, find the high, find the low, and everything else falls in between.
Got a better way?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-19-2010 20:01
Visual
Comply with   AWS D1.1  Clause 4.8.1   and  Table 6.1   Pass = 100%   Fail = Zero (do it again)

Guided Bends 
Comply with   4.19.1.2      4.8.3.1 for root, face, and side bends      4.8.3.3 for inspection criteria of bends.
Pass = 100%   Fail = Zero (do it again)

I think it is *critical* for students entering into the workforce to know the difference between a defect and a discontinuity.   If they are downgraded for subjective discontinuituies how are they going to survive in the workplace?   Giving feedback on discontinuities is clearly important..  I just think grading on them makes alot of unnessary work for you and confuses the learner.

Student learners need to enter the workforce with the ability to clearly distinguish what is acceptable and what is not when provided with acceptence criteria. Exposing them and holding them to WPS's and inspection code requirements from their first pad of beads is the best way to accomplish this. (in my opinion)
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-19-2010 20:24
While I may personaly agree with Lawrence that students need to understand what indusrty expects of them, I would have a hard time selling to the Education Department that all of my students GPA's are either 4.0 or 0. (pass=100% and fail=0)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-19-2010 21:08 Edited 05-19-2010 21:29
Thats not what I'm saying at all...  Trust me.. I don't give away  A's

Learning to weld takes time.. Not every student is going to be progressing at the same pace..   If every student is working on exactly the same project at the same instant... most of them are wasting their time!

An entry level course will be built on dozens of competencies.. Some students will do all of those competencies and even go beyond it.. Others will be unable to master every competency in the curriculum, just like math, communications or any other subject.

Everything is graded go or no go.  but there are many many things to grade.

Pad of beads flat, horizontal etc. (short circuit)

Fillets in all positions  (short circuit) (another 5 competencies if you go vert up and down)

open roots in 3/16 plate (short circuit) in all positions.. another 5

Lap joints.. another 5 (short circuit)

Fillet break test with macros (short circuit)

V grooves with backing in all positions with guided bends. (short circuit)

groove weld with carbon arc backgouge... (Spray)

Spray transfer with applicable joints in applicable positions.

Fillet break test with spray

Guided bend with spray

aluminum GMAW... Fillets  grooves etc.

Stainless GMAW

GMAWP on thin sheet.

Open Roots on Pipe with short circuit in all positions...

Not every high school student can complete each of these competencies in a single class....  Soooooo  You discern what point in the curriculum represents excellence and the students who get there earn an A...  Do a bit less, earn a B etc...  With provisions for written exams and other grading criteria.

My GMAW course is 180 hours... A high school course will be a fraction of that and probably have to focus on several processes.  I intentionally add more competencies into my curriculum than the average student can accomplish.. So that when somebody excells I have projects in place to keep them learning..  They pay alot of money for these classes and I won't let them simply be done because they have completed the curriculum.. I try to provide challenging work for them to the very last day.

You can make an A as hard to earn as you want...  and when you put your records together you could (if you wished) provide your studens with welder qualification test reports specifying the projects they completed that were inspected in compliance with the code of your choice....   Alot more valuable than a report card...

A curriculum of this sort will also allow for articulation agreements to the post secondary level to be validated on objective standards...   I won't award advanced standing or articulated credit to feeder schools who don't comply with SENSE competencies and key indicators and have them written into their articulation language.

Edit
As a semi-related side note... I also don't award D's...  Under 70% earns an F...  "D" stands for defeciant.  We sure aren't going to put our stamp of approval on, and graduate a student who did substandard work.  My advisory committee strongly approved this move.  They understand that students graduate at different levels but they would really like to trust that a program diploma holder is somebody they would risk giving a chance.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-19-2010 22:16
As always Lawrence you give us a wealth of knowledge. I especialy look forward to your replies to posts, but the original post asked a question that we at our school are often faced with- to visually look at a weld, or say 10 similar welds for that matter, how would you numerically grade each weld. I know this is not how our industry judges welds, which is what makes it so difficult. This is where I think instructor opinion comes into play.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-19-2010 23:02 Edited 05-19-2010 23:10
Grading each weld numerically is a waste of time.... It is a misunderstanding of whatever requirements your governing authority has placed. <I bet>  If that's what the Education Department thinks they want...  They need to change the way they think..

I think the items mentioned you are evaluating are valid!

Students need feed back on every part of what they do.

I simply view they way you address grading each project as too much work for you and too confusing to the student.

Your items mentioned for evaluation have paralells in table 6.1..  Student and learner could together evaluate those ten welds, with attention and feedback given to each item on your list... And this is indeed where instructor opinion comes in...

"here is overlap"  change gun angle thus and lets see if it goes away.  Try again

Ok.. "this next one is acceptable, but see how there is a slight imbalence in leg length and how gravity is allowing metal on the bottom leg to pile a bit."  "lets try a few more and see if we can't make it even better.  Try again.

Ok..  "This one has excellent balence on leg length and there is not a bit of sag on the bottom let"... Move on to the next project... Excellent  (A)

Subjectivity falls to when the instructor elects to move the student to the next competency rather than on every single weld.

Your evaluation is VALID...  But you will have an easier life and less student confusion if you ***Link with external standards*** from day one.

I'm not kidding when I suggest that technical training that is not linked with recognized external standards will soon be judged as unacceptable... It is an inevatable and welcome consequence of "No Child Left Behind" and the "Career Pathways" initiatives.

Might as well start to think about it now... It's comming.  In many states its already here.
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-19-2010 23:15
It is alot of work and it is confusing. I would welcome with open arms a grading system that uses our industry standards
Parent - - By Plasma56 (**) Date 05-20-2010 21:07
"I'm not kidding when I suggest that technical training that is not linked with recognized external standards will soon be judged as unacceptable... It is an inevatable and welcome consequence of "No Child Left Behind" and the "Career Pathways" initiatives.

I agree...we must talk further.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-20-2010 21:24
Any time buddy...   Not many people want to talk about the nuts and bolts of changing American technical education and the positive effect it can still have on American manufacturing.. 

But there are some very interesting things happening in the world of education and standards...  The DOD is becomming more willing to depend on standards outside of itself..  This cannot be overstated..

If DOD accepts AWS pubs.. Than people going into the military can bring AWS credentials and actually work in the specialty they have begun (something rare)  and when they get out of the military.. They will have more than an MOS to show prospective employers...

Primary and Secondary have a part to play here too; Maybe the biggest.

I've spent the last 15 years building curriculum, learning materials, and entry level standards, as an educator, author and volunteer committee member. I've been taking the pulse of this situation for some time now and I tell ya that even in these tough times there are some very good things happening and if we move now it could be a force to lift and sustain the U.S. economy.

It all ties into education and technical standards that can be shared and more importantly *understood* across a broad base.
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-21-2010 03:06
Do any of you guys know if your local Middle and High schools still have the classes that we all took...industrial arts, metal shop, small engine repair, things like that? In the northeast they have sadly become a thing of the past and I see alot of young people leaving High school without ever getting to learn vital skills like these. Heck just seeing someone who can read a tape is becoming rare.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-21-2010 19:43 Edited 05-21-2010 20:42
I agree lawrence and I've been taught under both the  Go/No Go situation where we had a booklet full of welds we had to "pass" and at the end of the semester we were graded on how far we got (washtenaw Community College)  and a subjective grading system where the instructors gave a grade based on bead appereance and technique (Pennsylvania college of technology).  In both situations the students was made aware of actual testing criteria and both included  actual weld tests to AWS standards including macro's and Bends and the likes.

However

as I mentioned the objective of both systems was to set a welding standard HIGHER than those of code requirements for bead appearance, inclusions, undercut etc.  So the students were always striving to produce the highest quality weld to maintain an A. I'll admit that when I got out in the welding world I was surprised at the murder I could get away with and still pass welding certifications, but I appreciate that my instructors held me to such a high standard as the lesson was imparted to me and It gave me the ability to minimize defects in my welds and pass welding tests with ease.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't endorse any program where an A is "meets code requirements" the students would say "well even though the crown height is all over the place there's no underfill so it will pass code". We were expected to weld to a much higher visual acceptance criteria than specified by code.  In the real that's not  neccessary to pass, but if a student can manage that level of proficiency it won't matter what a perspective employer will throw at him.

Teaching a student what industry criteria are, and using industry tests FOR evaluation aren't always equal in my opinion.

*edit* I want to add I don't think we are in disagreement. I'm indifferent to subjective grades or pass fail as long as the end product is the same. i just think the emphasis should be more on how the grading system will help facilitate learning.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Instructor evaulating of student practical Welds