Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need some insight.
- - By strother (***) Date 05-19-2010 00:08 Edited 05-19-2010 00:29
Here is my dilemna. I've been self employed since 2001 and I'm tired of the feast or famine that comes with owning you're own business. I've gone from myself to myself and 2 full time employees and back to myself and 2 as needed employees. This past year has been especially tough stayed busy until December and since then it has just been day to day.  My three main customers that keep me busy have not had much work due to being under bid, although they are starting to pick back up now.  I started looking for a regular job out of curiousity.  I talked to one company (a hydraulic test lab) talking to them on the phone, I thought I might have the job.  When I went for the interview I  was sure I had the job.  When I left they told me they would contact me the next week either way and let me know about the pay and the shift.  I did not hear anything from them all last week.  However, my work has picked up.  I have six months of regular work in a quarry for a regular customer and just priced a 23 ton structual job for another regular customer who has assured me that I will get the job.  My dilemna is should I call the hydraulic test lab back about the job.  I have got work now working for myself but I don't want to head into next winter with nothing to do and no money in the bank.  I love working for myself but I am tired of struggling to make ends meet. A steady paycheck would make my wife happy.  What would you do?
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 05-19-2010 01:51 Edited 05-19-2010 02:04
With my new (well 6 months and going) job, being that it's a smaller company (There's the owner, his son, one other guy and myself.)

We always hear about what goes on in the office and how he is required to look at, measure, figure out, and bid on the jobs that we get.  In the six months I've been with the company, the schedule has been pretty much random.  We go hard for X amount of time and take time off when we can get the time off.  I guess he was saying that he hasn't worked a set schedule for XX amount of years.  My advice, take the work as it comes, but plan for slow times...welding is after all, a service industry.  Who's to say it will be any better working for someone else.  I know that I would never be able to handle all of that, so I work for someone who is able to get and bid for the work we do.  At that, on planning for slow times, I bank all of my overtime so that when we don't have any work (or life does what it does), I get paid for my time off...less money given to the tax man is always a bonus!

Really, as you're a business owner, what I think it would come down to is what your needs and wants are in life.  My old man used to run his own business (not welding, mind you), but he would always talk about the upsides and downsides of running a business.  As of late whenever I'm down south there, he always comments, "Sometimes I miss being my own boss..."
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-19-2010 15:44
take the full time gig and work for yourself on your days off or even at night i would if the pay was right
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 05-19-2010 23:26 Edited 05-19-2010 23:32
Thanks for the responses . I appreciate any input. A guy from the company called today he said they trying to get an answer from Human Resources. I think it would be a very job if the pay is right . It's a big co. but the test lab where I would be working has the feel of a small business . Each shift has a 3 man crew a millwright, a pipefitter, and a welder/fabricator . They set up and test slurry pumps for mining dredging and power plants.They are expanding and haven't had a lay off in 16yrs. If I'm ever going to go back to punching a clock this is where I would like to be. I'm just not sure I'm ready to make that change yet. If you pray say a prayer for me, this may be the hardest decision I've made in my career. Getting into business was easy, getting out is alot harder.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-22-2010 12:22
I know where your coming from Strother. I've found myself looking at jobs, even jobs that are not welding but in the evening to leave me free during the day to handle the business like a business. Personally I have turned down the Nashville airport authority(mechanic job), the U.S Post office(mechanic job) and the Pipefitters Union in the three years that I have been doing the business. Sure ain't rich, nowhere near it actually, broke as h_ll but I am happy, I enjoy the different locations I go to and look forward to more new locations and the interesting work and people I deal with for the most part(people that is). Security is something that I think we all would like, some handle the insecurity better than others. I had a shop working on cars, after a year I went back to wrenchin' for someone else. Not an easy thing to do but you could compare the two side by side then. Punchin' the clock was a steady paycheck, nice, someone else pickin' up the insurance tab, taxes, SSI etc, etc.....nice. Downside, punchin' the clock, being a pawn instead of a knight, set schedule, same ol' daily grind, same place, same shop, same people day in and day out for years and years.

Owning the business, my favorite memory was when I was covered up for weeks and weeks as a mechanic shop owner. After I got all the o.p.s fixed and out of the shop I went in a told my buddy that I rented the building from that I was taking a vacation. He said, "where you going?" Told him I have not had a break in weeks/months and me and the family were gonna go back home for a week. That was on a friday, we left out sunday morning or something like that. Spent the week back home with relatives eating Buffalo wings all week long!!

I guess the downsides are playing secretary, accountant, manager, welder, lack of money when truck payment is due, etc, etc but I find the upside to that is sitting in my pajamas while doing the paperwork part of the business!!! Even design phases on gates, handrails and such, that's great pj work!!! How many people can say they designed some fancy gate in their pj's that now hangs off a million dollar home?

Whatever you do it's your decision as many have told me before. Amazing how difficult of a decision it actually is. The wife is a concern, but you have to be happy too, no sense in being p_ssed at life the next 20-30 years wondering what could have been. Heck, I've actually taken some work next week installing chain link fence, gates, gate operators and the grid in the driveway just so I don't have to go punch the clock. Works for me! It's all about what you want,

Good Luck!!

Shawn
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 05-25-2010 01:12
Shawn, your post helped me remember why I do what I do . Thanks!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-25-2010 09:58 Edited 05-25-2010 10:04
No problem Strother, it's not easy opening a small business or keeping it going but where would we be if Henry Ford just said, "I'm gonna go punch the clock" or Bill Gates for that matter. I'll go work single hand, turn wrenches whatever and punch the clock for somebody, I'll give 110% while I'm there and do the best quality work but in my mind I'll be longing for my business. I guess it's just in a person's blood or maybe I've had a taste and enjoy it so much that getting out is now impossible. I may die broke and the business may never be a "million dollar baby" but as long as I tried as hard as I could, did everything that was within' my means(money wise) then I'll die happy. Al had some good points, not putting all your eggs in one basket. I try and sell Amsoil on the side but spread myself to thin at times doing that(monetarily speaking), still work on cars if one of my old clients calls and have been troubleshooting/repairing a gate operator here recently that was damaged in the floods, which reminds me....have to add that to my website as one of my services! Heck, gotta make some calls today about federal gov'ment contracts and a call about spending money I don't have on a welder that I don't have work for!! All while dropping business cards at places that will most likely not even call!! Ahhh, the small business owner, what a life!! Good luck and if there is anything I can do, chat whatever don't hesitate to call, email whatever. I don't know much but sure can talk a lot!!!

Shawn
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 05-22-2010 16:49
I have had three main big clients since I went into business in 2001 as well...  When the economy went down so did the jobs they had for me... I was in a bad pickle....  I learned if you are in a place where you have never been you have to do something you have never done to get yourself out of the hole....  I started hitting the road and spreading cards out like water... I went and talked to anyone and everyone I could think of and started letting them know I was around and what I could do...

Funny thing is when you get locked into just a couple of good clients and times are good you forget just how fast things can go bad...  Even though you have work now Go pound the heck out of the road and try to drum up business no matter if you are busy as a bee or slow....

Being self employed is more than being good at what you do Im learning... You have to learn how to sell yourself  too or you are going to have a tough time...  Trust me Im learning that lesson now...!!!!   Im normally shy and like my work or clients to do my talking for me but sometimes you got to get uncomfortable to stay above water... Its not comfortable starving so if you got to be uncomfortable you just as well do something that can possibly get you out of a hole...

So far it has started working for me.. The phone is ringing almost every day... Not big stuff yet but work is work when you are slow...

I am going to try and get as many clients as possible now and don't just try to land the big ones..

That's my cent and a half worth

RC
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2010 18:51
I learned long ago that it is a poor business strategy to put all your eggs into one basket.

My policy is that no one company represents more than 10% of my business on an annual basis. I have actually told a couple of large clients they would have to find someone else to service their needs when they became too demanding of my time. It sounds crazy, but the political winds can shift very quickly in a large company. You are an indispensible hero when they need you and "who are you?" when you no longer fit into their plan de jour.

I had a large aerospace client that required my services one week per month. At the end of the training cycle I spoke with the education director to tell him that I was going cut them back to one week every two months. He said he could not live with that and he wanted me to commit to two weeks per month; one week for welder training and another for inspection/NDT training. He said, “There are vendors that depend solely on the work we feed them.”

I said, “I know a lot of them that are no longer in business because you folks had a change in your business plans that did not include them.”

At that he said, “You have a point there. The winds blow hot and cold here and a lot of people have been hurt because of it. You’re lucky to be in a position where you can afford to walk away.”

I can afford to walk away because I refuse to let any one client monopolize my business.

I try to keep a balance of teaching, inspection, and consulting in the business mix. There are times when you walk away from the “big clients” because they demand too much attention and the smaller clients are left to wither. Eventually the smaller clients will find someone that can give them the attention they need. Money can be an issue as well. You can be left holding the bag waiting to get paid a good sum of money when a large client encounters financial problems. I would rather have 10 small clients that owe me small sums of money rather than one big client with a large unpaid balance. The sting is not as severe if one small client falls on hard economic times and cannot pay up. 

It is also a good business practice to diversify your client base. By that I mean, do not concentrate on one industrial sector. Every industrial sector experiences business cycles. Rarely do hard times fall on all business sectors at the same time. A diversified client list is the same as a diversified stock portfolio.  Even in these hard economic times there are some industrial sectors that have not been as severely affected as others because they lead or lag the general economy. Everyone has experienced some problems with the slow recovery of this recession, but there is still work available.

This will not be a financial banner year, but I don’t believe I will be on the streets with a tin cup in one hand and a hand full of pencils in the other. That will come next year.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 05-23-2010 01:02
That's good advice Al.  Just wish I would have had it 9 years ago.  I went into business woefully unprepared.  It sounded like a good idea at the time work hard, do the right things, and success will follow.  Unfortunately it didn't.  This was partially due to some poor business decisions and partially due to the economy.  I can say that the past 9 years have provided an education that I could not have gotten anywhere else and would not trade that for anything.  If I had to start over with what I know now I could make a go of it.  And if I have to I can make a go of it from here but right now I am spent.  The hydraulic test lab emailed me on friday with a job offer.  It looks like a good opportunity and possibly a chance to make some connections in a stable industry in case I ever decide to go back on my own.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Randy
Parent - By strother (***) Date 05-25-2010 01:11
Update. After lots of thinking I decided to turn down the job offer . I'm not ready to give up yet . Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-23-2010 06:04
"I can afford to walk away because I refuse to let any one client monopolize my business."

Wise decision. The local sheetmetal fab shop had 1 customer who they let grow to about 70% of the business volume. They went in the hole for a new, big, modern shear & press brake to do that customers work. That customer then gave them the option of selling out to them or loosing all their work. They sold out, and about a year later that company layed off all the employees and closed the shop. It had been a family business for 2 generations that employed ALL the family members, and a few others. The rest of the family got pissed at the one who was running the shop, He and His wife & kids moved away.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need some insight.