Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainweld A7 welding rod,just what type of rod is it?
- - By NMWELDING (**) Date 05-20-2010 03:20 Edited 05-21-2010 04:23
I got a 50 pound unopened can of Stainweld-A7 welding rod from one of the oil companies that I weld for. Does anyone know the composition and what it`s used for. I done a search and it only turned up 2 hits which didn`t say much at all. But it sounds to me to be some kind of stainless rod. The can was unopened and looked to be very very old. Kind of made me think by looks of the can that they were before my time. I never heard of this rod. The rod itself has no numbers on it,just a yellow dot near the stinger end. It says Stainweld A7 on the end of the 50 lb can.Thanks.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 05-21-2010 04:24
Anybody have any input? Thanks
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-21-2010 05:53
It's a discontinued Lincoln stainless steel welding electrode... I sent a query regarding this type of electrode to Lincoln's customer service department.. So as soon as I get a response from them, I'll post it for you! ;) I'm not sure, but I believe they make a similar rod in their newer Blue Max line of stainless electrodes nowadays, yet I'll know more about this when Lincoln gets back to me. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-21-2010 06:01
Just as an aside .......I really like the way the old blue max rods burn.    They work phenomenal on 308 pipe and weird positions. I am not a big lincoln fan but if you are doing stainless pipe or odd position work the blue max rods are VERY consistent and forgiving.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainweld A7 welding rod,just what type of rod is it?