Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / air tank
- - By weaver (***) Date 05-20-2010 13:18
i have some 20" pieces of pipe left over,( conductors). and would like to make a air tank for my shop. sch 40 pipe and suggestions, brand new pipe, clean.
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 05-20-2010 17:09
You can get butt weld caps for 20” pipe but they would be expensive.  If you have enough pipe Bull plug would be my choice as the best way.  You can also just weld plate over the ends with at least a 5/8 rod through the middle to keep the plates from bulging.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-20-2010 17:31
There is a Tank Yard in Williston that would probably have a couple of ends you coud get
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-20-2010 20:23
Everyone should have a bomb in their shop. It reduces the competion. If the welder is qualified to API 1104, all the better. We don't need no stinkin ASME!

Best regards - Al ;)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-20-2010 20:55
LMAO!!!!!
No more wise words have been spoken.
And with such sarcastic eloquence.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-21-2010 03:14
What? Me? Sarcastic?

I was trying to be kind.

Best regards - Al ;)
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 05-21-2010 03:26
you know, i thought it would be fun to build my own tank to plumb our smaller commpressors into.  You guys can poke fun at me all you want.  I try to be a meak (humble) guy , I am thirty learning more about my trade.  This is not a production vessel.  just a fun project, I figured a tig the ends together with a 22.5 bevel and 5/32 gap, gtaw all the way out.  (walking the cup).  You know i will post some pics of our latest jobs, building derricks, wellheads, high pressure gas pipe you name it.  And with all these yahoo's coming up here lately, fixing all there mistakes.  So anyway no disrespect to anyone, but I have earned the respect of every welder I have met up here and everywhere I have worked.  But anyway keep the sarcasm up kinda gets me pumped..  kind regards  shannon
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-21-2010 03:52 Edited 05-21-2010 04:08
No insults were intended, just poking a little fun and kicking some dust.

Compressed air tanks are bombs if they are not welded by skilled welders. You have to understand that not everyone that participates in the Forum is a "skilled" welder. It was not too long ago that someone wanted to know how to plumb a fire extinguisher to use it as an argon cylinder. It was an accident just begging to happen.

Compressed air tanks are generally constructed in accordance with ASME Section VIII requirements and they carry an ASME nameplate indicating their safe working pressure, they have been engineered and pressure tested, etc.

I have attended a couple of funerals in my time because fellow welders that should have known better took short cuts. If I can pinch someone in the ass and make them think twice before doing something that can cause injury or even death, please forgive me, but I am going to give them a tweak.

Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into before doing a "fun project" that could be your last. I would hate to write, "I remember Weaver, he was a hell of a welder, but not much of an engineer."

We welders tend to be self reliant, resourceful, jacks-of-all-trades type individuals. However, some of the things I have seen welders do are outright dangerous. I have one friend that does a lot of scuba diving. He took oxygen cylinders and used them as high-pressure air tanks for refilling his scuba tanks. That is not so crazy, but he welded over the letters and numbers at the top of the oxygen cylinders so no one could identify them as stolen. Many of the high pressure cylinders are chrome moly steel alloys that should not be welded without special procedures. Welding the tanks with E6010 or E7018 without preheat ain't the way to do it.

Others like to brag about welding fuel tanks full of gasoline; because everyone knows that as long as there are no fumes, it ain't gonna blow. "What about the fire you started in the garage because the gasoline was leaking on the floor dummy?" His nickname is "Zebra" because of the skin grafts.

The stories could go on and on and on, but I think you get my point. Be sure you know all the ramifications of what you are doing. Should the tank fail for any reason, is your life insurance paid up? Will it cover suicidal acts? Is it legal to use a pressurized vessel that doesn't meet code? Will you insurance cover the damages if it is known it wasn't a code vessel?  

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-21-2010 12:37
weaver,
Listen, we've all had a little fun poked at us. Al and myself are no exceptions. But you have to understand, while it may seem a fun project Al is absolutely correct, it can be dangerous. At the very least I would have an engineer (preferably experienced in pressure vessel calculations) run some calcs for you to make sure you have the proper thickness, configuration, and weld sizes to match what you are going to ask this thing to do. Head configurations will radically change the ability of the vessel to accomodate stresses. Flat heads are the worst. You also need to tie in what is probably not going to be RT/UT to the calcs.
Compressed air retains a great deal of energy which is why so many tend to stay away from it for industrial leak testing. Its dangerous.
I undertstand this can be expensive and probably not cost effective as far as building or buying is concerned. But be safe about it.
Better to have a little fun poked at you than having your family scraping you off your garage wall or pulling a hunk of steel out of your forehead.
My advice would be to buy one.
My 2 cents.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-21-2010 20:14
weaver,
I'll explain you why Al has referred to your air tank as being a bomb.
Since a long time, the majority of compressed air circuits work at 100 psig pressure. When the weld of a tank containing water at 100 psig fails, a few drops of water escape and the inside pressure drops down to atmospheric. No one gets hurt and nothing breakes. Why? because liquids are uncompressible, i.e., their volume doesn't decrease when submitted to pressure.
On the contrary, when the weld of a tank containing compressed air at 100 psig fails, an explosion occurs. Why? Because gases are compressible. The volume of a gas at atmospheric pressure is seven times greater than the volume of the same gas at 100 psig (Boyle and Mariotte 's first law of gases).
So, as Al says, a compressed air tank must be designed and fabricated according to ASME VIII Code, that requires, among other things, that a pressure vessel be welded by a qualified welder following a qualified procedure.
Al, do you agree with my explanation?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2010 19:05
Both you and JS bring some excellent points to the discussion.

I find no fault with either of them.

I understand what Weaver is doing. I've been there myself. I built a wood fired boiler for my home. It sits in the living room and it appears to all the world to be a fireplace with the front open or an airtight wood stove when the front is closed. I designed to to be "fail safe" by limiting the maximum pressure to about 10 psi (sufficient head to service both floors in my home) and I have two pressure relief valves in the system. It was hydro-tested to 150 psi to ensure it was not going to fail under normal operations. Safety was my first consideration. The safety valve includes a temperature relief that dumps the hot water if it exceeds 200 degrees, well below the boiling point, and the pressure relief is set at 15 psi. 

There is a sense of accomplishment when you build something yourself that is missing when you buy it in a store.

My point as well as your's is to ensure everyone's safety.

Best regards - al
- - By hojopens3 (**) Date 05-21-2010 13:13
Bullhead cap both ends and make sure you have a pop off valve set no lower than 120 psi
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-22-2010 00:00
Then fill the thing with water and pump it up to at least 250 psi and hold it for 15 minutes. Or have a really looong  hose and pressure it up to 150 with air. Put it behind a concrete wall before you turn the pressure on. You can use a pressure washer to pressure it up with water and a 0-300 psi gauge. If it does not fail, it will take air. But DO NOT use flat ends on 20 inch. Either get a 20 inch knuckle head or a standard wall butt weld weld cap.
I have seen a 8 inch bumper air tank fail. Guy messed his britches when it let go.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-22-2010 11:31
I had a friend at the Cat dealership that did a ton of woodwork. I went over to his place once and we went back behind his shop and he had several old hydraulic cylinder back there with the ends capped and bolted and plumbed as air storage tanks. They were not small cylinders, maybe 375 or 988 type of stuff. No telling how many years those things stayed there.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-22-2010 16:46
have cactus come over and give it his u stamp
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-22-2010 21:13
Hey,, I can mail him one. It would be a "T" for this particular application. I will need to check the code to be sure
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 05-22-2010 21:16
hey buddy can you just fax me the cert:)..
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-22-2010 23:54
I can DANG SURE DO IT. Then you wil be SYRTEFYD !!!!  ..........................with a Stamp !
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-23-2010 06:08
Might use "JR" for Jury Rig. Just don't stamp Your name on it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / air tank