Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The old tough hobart
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-21-2010 06:21
Well after a bunch of days I finally got some time to redo the old hobart 3020G (375 amp dc welder).   I beat all the sheetmetal flat as I could with nothing but a concrete floor, put new seals on the crank, tuned the carb and the mechanical governer.    Made a new needle on the dial out of copper, repainted all the sheet and most eveyrthing rusted. Tested it out with 7018/6011/6013 and it welds very smooth and does lo/hy verts like butter. Sorry these are quick picks in the shop but she is ready to throw on a truck or trailer.....just proud I got it ready guys, all for $235 bux and an easy 3800 hours .

OLD Hobart:

NEW Hobart

Sun will shine on a dogs but every once in a while
Tommy
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-21-2010 18:17
It looks good now !  Be proud of only having that much in it I'm still seeing much more being asked for them but they aren't sold yet either like this one that showed back up on Craigs List.  Here is link to that one told you about before has nice panel on it but it's a 300G. 

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/tls/1721073144.html
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-22-2010 01:47
Wow looks a lot like mine....I got 220 and 120 outlets tho.   I figured for the $200 I paid for it, it would just be a beater machine really.....no smoke, starts right up, idle up and timers work fine.  I reckon a pretty good deal all around, the old girl just needed a little tlc.    I don't have a one ton sitting around, and I think this machine is a little much (1400+lbs) to put on my old 1/2 ton, so it is probably headed for a nice little trailer rig for now.   I really wanted to find a good diesel machine but at 1800 rpm this thing is just loping along, I think I like it   LOL!
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-24-2010 19:10
Water well drillers here always liked Hobarts better but now there isn't any 16" casing going in anymore those days are over.  Those little Ford's are quiet with a muffler on them too.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-26-2010 18:59
Kinda funny   it runs better with the muffler on.....the exhaust manifold is so short, that little bit of added backpressure makes it just right.  The exhaust is all I need to fix up, could not find a sandblaster around that was not overbooked.   I might just build some headers for it, and add bike silencer like a Kerker or something.    I am not like a big Hobart fan or anything but that's what I got in the shop too, an old TR250HF.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-26-2010 19:49
Google for Ford 2.3 headers they are out there for $200 to over $500.  Look at theirs get a gasket for plate pattern and build some.  Didn't think they made such for 4 cylinder.  We always put headers on Ford 6 cylinders for irrigation power units because the rain or sprinkler water breaks them and are bad about leaking on top but you got a hood shouldn't have that problem.

http://www.amazon.com/OBX-Header-05-07-Focus-Duratec/dp/B001UFRNKY
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The old tough hobart