Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Facelift
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-24-2010 21:50 Edited 05-24-2010 21:57
So I've had a bit of time on my hands. The faceplate on my......I know, Ranger 8 was about gone so I got a new one from the decal shoppe. After several mods to get that installed I decided the welder just looked like poo-poo with that nice new faceplate and ragged out panels. So I spent a day or so, I know, it's a ranger, never did care for the original red on the welder and was thinking silver metallic powder coat at first, but other things demanded the cash flow, rattle cans were cheap. Gonna get by the bolt and screw joint next trip to Nashville to pick up some fresh stainless screws to swap out the ugly red painted ones. Then might break out the airbrush and stencil the Ranger across the back or maybe Lincoln in some fancy lettering. So here it is, I know.......it's a ranger....I'm working on a real welder, honest. It ain't much but might as well take pride in what you got right. Still have to address the frame too, did not want to have parts scattered for long, I do that and next thing the phone is ringing, "I need ya here today" kind of stuff.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-24-2010 23:11
I was hoping your face was the one getting lifted.

I leave dissapointed
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-25-2010 09:15
I could use one of those but with the natural glare off the top of my head from age and a fading hair line I figured why bother!! LoL!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 05-24-2010 23:57
Looks good Shawn! Taking pride in your equipment no matter what it is can't be faulted. You working on your shorthood?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-25-2010 09:38 Edited 05-25-2010 10:15
Weldwade, thank you. I've given a lot of thought to my shorthood and for what I do I'm gonna need the auxillary power for tools and things of that nature. I like my shorty but figure the lack of AC will be an issue. I've actually....been looking a some Miller's. Been checking out the 304 with the kubota and the Big Blue 300. I like the 300 cause it only turns 1850rpm, the kubota is screaming at 3600rpm on the 304. Miller also offers financing......and with this kind of welder I could actually get on the road and chase some stuff like you guys are doing. The 300 catches my eye cause it's about $3000 less than the 304! I have also been thinking......Vantage 300 because I really like my Lincolns! Plus they seem to work well for Cactus and all the work he does and if they were junk he seems like the type that would let them know it and it wouldn't be on his rig. So there I am.....red? blue?

The shorthood, probably gonna try and rebuild the engines, all the electrical and maybe sell her off. Bad part is I'm as particular a mechanic as I am a welder so I'd want it 100% right so it would last a guy a long time without problems.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 05-25-2010 18:09
Shawn I'm in the same boat with my SA200's. I love them and will probably never part with them but they do not work for what I do most of the time. I had a trackhoe bucket to do this weekend, ran out of hardface wire so I thought hey lets burn the cobwebs outa the old 64 with some Stoody rod... Well I was almost done with the job when the armature shaft let go... Oh well she needed a facelift anyway so I'm like you and she's going to get a complete make over 100%, that’s the only way I like to do things.
About 80% of my welding machines are Miller and they have served me very well. I just sold my dads Bobcat that he bought in the mid 80's for AC power a couple years ago that had almost 5500 hours on it. It was a good machine and never had any major problems. We own a trucking company, fuel/oil transportation. I do repair work of every kind on our trucks and trailers on my days off because I have a full time job in Mining. I do mainly aluminum work so Miller was and still is, in my opinion, the best TIG and MIG machine on the market. I just bought a Big Blue 500D from (welderbrent) on here for the Aux power, CC/CV output etc... I needed a machine with three phase power so I can run my plasma at full rated output in the field and all I can say is it's nice to have 15KVA single phase and 20KVA three phase 240 power available. It is a HUGE machine, it welds great and will hook up to all my current equipment no problem so I am happy!
OK, I was looking at the PipePro and Pro300 also before I bought the 500D. I rented both of them to check them out and I can say I would never own a PipePro. Superior weld output in all processes because it is just a glorified XMT304 but it is too loud, pricy and prone to problems in my opinion. The Pro300 is a great machine. SIPS fuel, priced competively and welds great. I already have an XMT304 that I can plug into a Pro300 anyway so the PipePro was just not in the picture for me. My Rep can get me a brand new Pro300 and XMT304 for the price of the PipePro so let me know if you need any help there? This was a more versatile setup for me because I need something I can use in the shop or on the truck, space and weight are a huge concern for me! I know the Big Blue 500D is big and heavy but the price was right and well sometimes plans change... There is nothing wrong with Miller and they offer better service, ask Kaye Sellon what is a more reliable machine and I will bet she will say Blue! Our BigBlue Airpak's will dominate the Air Vantage machine in every way at the Mine and not one of them has been in for warrantee or breakdown, cant say that for the Air Vantage machines... Just my .02
I have never owned a Vantage 300, 400 or 500 but they are great machines and have great features. Most of the Rig Welders that built the mine I'm at had 300's and loved them. I would have no problem owning one if all my other equipment was not Miller, I'd have to replace a bunch of stuff! Lincoln and Miller 14 pin is different in every way so it's not an option for me. I guess it all depends on where you are at and where you want to go? Red or Blue is just a preference.
I put a 3000W inverter in my 74 SA200, run it off two batteries though so that is another cheap option. I also found a 4K Onan out of a motorhome on craigslist for a little bit of nothing... You can always get a CV module for the shorthood? All this adds up and depending on what or where you want to go in the now or in the future???
I'm proud of my Lincoln and Miller equipment and feel they are the best for what they do, it's a hard decision?
Wade
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-25-2010 02:53
Looks great. If it makes You money it is a good machine.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-25-2010 16:20
But its a ranger lol looks good man
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-25-2010 19:13
Hi Ho SILVER !  Looks good !  Find a decal of Silver & Lone Ranger for the side ?  :)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-25-2010 22:51
Makes me think of the Capt. Sobel in the movie "Band of Brothers" out running Currahee! Hi Ho Sillllllvvvverrrr!!!!

Now that you mention it, be a great place for a large Eagle, Globe and Anchor sticker, hehe.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-26-2010 19:32
Got one of those on shop trash barrel for target practice the dogs use it for....
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 05-26-2010 18:42
what made you go to the decal shoppe and not Lincoln OEM??
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 05-26-2010 19:36
Thought maybe Decal Shoppe is making them for Lincoln now ?  Them and Stumpf are on the Lincoln parts link page. 

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/products/service/partsnav.asp
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 05-26-2010 20:54
no -- thats just for obsolete plates
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-27-2010 10:46
I didn't think that lincoln still sold the faceplates for the machine. Think this one was a bit pricey too, especially since I had to drill 4 new holes(circuit breakers on front of machine for outlets) and enlarge two others, no big deal but kept wondering why it was I paid the price I did, live and learn.
- - By johnny carney iii (*) Date 05-25-2010 00:09
looks good aint nuthin wrong with havin a ranger i used one when i first started but mine didn't look that good lol
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-25-2010 09:17
It has been a good machine, I've put a starter on it, stator and flywheel recently(magnets grenaded). Run her for 13 and 15 hour days and only spent $10 on gas so I can't complain.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Facelift