Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FYI Pancake Shield
- - By ruero (**) Date 05-26-2010 15:50
Dave at Wendy's Pancake Welding Shields has just received Official Approval for A.N.S.I. Z87.1 Standards.
He has the new Shield and information on his web site.

Wanted to pass this along for anyone that has run into this or will from the saftey dept.
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 05-27-2010 01:59
I was told that if we get on a project for TransCanada that they will not let us use Pancake hoods. I wonder if this will change anything?
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 05-27-2010 03:07
you should be ok with the z-pancake as long as you wear safety glasses underneath.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-28-2010 02:37
They let welders use pancakes last year.
They did have to be ansi pancakes tho, they furnished them.

JTMcC
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 05-29-2010 01:13
Last time I was at the Hall they told me that TransCanada sent a rep to the training center to have one of the instructors demonstrate using a pancake with tom waters glasses and the rep said that would be fine. A few weeks later transcanada said that they would not allow pancakes on any of there projects anymore. Im not sure what happened there but it sucks.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-29-2010 02:37
I believe it, every TC employee I ever talked to was a pompous, arrogant idiot. They don't deal well with the Great American Pipeliner.

JTMcC
- - By ruero (**) Date 05-27-2010 07:06
I read that on Transcanada info awhile back but we did get to use them on the Alberta Clipper last year but they needed to be the one piece pancake. It will still be up to the each company but at least they can't say no just because lack of Z87 approval.
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-28-2010 01:29
do yall think companies with push to the hard hat hood?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-28-2010 01:53
SSHHHHHHHHHHHH  Dont give them ANY ideas !
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-28-2010 01:56
to many ppl wold drag them!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2010 03:21
What's the deal with them not being approved, I guess what I'm asking is what is the problem with the Pancakes before? As compared to a normal hood? Zero arc flash, zero debris is gonna get into your eyes, zero sunlight blinding you from behind while your welding, safety glasses underneath the pancake? I don't have to wear them under a regular hood do I? I'm in the dark on this issue and need some education if you guys could take a minute.

Shawn
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2010 03:27
Ohhhh, I see the difference now, that little sticker on it. Looks identical to the one I own?? Other than the sticker with that fancy wording. Not a bad price though, looks like I'll be giving Dave more business.
Parent - By ruero (**) Date 05-28-2010 06:28
Thats about it Cumminsguy, the sticker. There is really nothing different about the shield, the few dollar increase is just helping Dave recover the cost for the tests. It took him a few months and several tests they prefomed, think it cost him over $2000 to get it. I think it's a very fare price for his quality product, don't think he has raised the price for a long time. Dave is a good man to work with.

rj
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-28-2010 13:08
" I don't have to wear them under a regular hood do I?"

Yes

Of course you must wear safety glasses under a regular welding hood Shawn!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2010 13:32 Edited 05-28-2010 13:43
Really, I didn't know that Lawrence, honest. I guess I have not been on a "real" job yet where that was required, sorry for my ignorance and thanks for the straight forward answer!

Ruero, I guess it's just the gub'ment approving it then. I'd pay the price. I've had my pancake for a year now and it has been dropped several times and still going strong. Just like the sticker say's, I love my shield! It's hard to find quality products anymore so stick with something when I find it.

Shawn
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-28-2010 16:51 Edited 05-28-2010 16:54
Yep.

Little bits of slag,  or those little silica islands on top of a mig weld,, Those babies pop off exactly at the moment you lift your hood and put your face close to the weld..

Safety glasses good   :)

Edit:

as far as  "real job requirements".... Both OSHA and ANSI Z49.1 require them under the hood no matter where the job is in the U.S.

Have a great day Shawn!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2010 19:10
Thanks Lawrence, good to know!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-30-2010 07:14
if you're on a job and its regulated by osha or msha yes you have to wear them under your hood clear or dark it dont matter but when u flip the hood up and the safety man is ther you'd better have them glasses on ive been on jobs where they fire u if u dont
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-29-2010 14:48
Shawn,
  About the only issue I ever saw from a safety standpoint was that most of the pipeline welders I have been around do not wear safety glasses under the pancake. Now I know that they do not help with the hood down. But here is where the problem is. When they put the hood on 99% of the time their safety glasses get laid on the dash of their rig. They go to welding and when they are done with a pass they prop the hood up on the top of their head or remove it and do not put the safety glasses on, thus leaving them unprotected while the helper is grinding/brushing with 7 or 9 inch wheels just a few feet away. I have been fragged from  30' away by large wire wheels and know first hand how dangerous this practice is.

jrw159
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 05-29-2010 01:16
There was actually a pipeline job I heard about yesterday for Henkels & McCoy in Maryland that the welders had to wear hard hat welding hoods.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-29-2010 01:51
The sky is falling the sky is falling what a bunch of crap .
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-29-2010 04:38
I've been wearing hard hat welding hoods since the seventies okwelder82... Once you get used to it - it's not something that will hinder your accessability, because it's like anything else one does, and that is to adapt, improvise and overcome!!! Semper Fidelis!!! :) :) :)
Just never forget to wear those safety glasses no matter what!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2010 11:36
I wore one of those hardhat welding helmet rigs once, thought I was gonna have to get a personal trainer to work on my neck muscles!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-30-2010 17:36
It gives you "character" Son!!! Or is it: "It turns you into a character!!! :) :) :)" Anywho, it was one of them... ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-31-2010 02:12
I guess it gives You a neck like a tree stump.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 06-26-2010 23:50
okwelder82, I was on that job yesterday and today and there were no hard hat hoods- FYI
- - By Francisford (**) Date 06-27-2010 02:53
A hardhat welding hood isint that bad if you get a good one.  I worked at a quarry in oklahoma for almost 8 years and we had to wear a hard hat with our hoods.  We got some jackson hardhats and eventually got some lighter hoods and that was much better than the 20 pounders.  All part of what your used to and what you will do to make a living
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-27-2010 03:05
Hardhat hoods and DH pipelineing do not go together. If you are using a hardhat, turn your head to the side and see why a pipeliner turns the bill over the ear, and the pancake wing goes to that side. There are even left handed pancakes.
But if the company you work for is too stupid to appreciate the knowledge gathered over the years and demands pipeliners use a hard hat hood, you either take it or leave.
Do not believe a pipeline company would be that stupid. But I get amazed almost every week.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FYI Pancake Shield