Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG welder selection: Yellow?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-06-2002 02:34
Hi comrades:

The most likely candidate for a purchase at this point is the ESAB Heliarc 161 AC/DC. Here's my reasoning:

I've pretty much ruled out the Miller EconoTIG because it doesn't have AC squarewave (unless I find one at an awefully good price used). You guys have convinced me that it's worth an extra $200-250 ($1200 for the EconoTIG vs. ~$1400-1450 for the Lincoln Square Wave 175 Pro or Miller Syncrowave 180 SD) to get the square wave functionality. Now, the question becomes whether the ESAB is worth an extra $100-150 above these prices. Here's why I believe the answer for my needs is "yes":

- Low current draw (27 amps) at 160 amps of welding current. (This is in comparison to the 70-75 amps for the Lincoln or Miller.)
- Lightweight (30 lbs, vs. 150+ for the Red or Blue).
- Has a balance control. (Fixed on the Red and Blue).

So, the next question becomes: Is the HTP Invertig 200 worth $1900 in comparison to the ESAB. It has all the ESAB's features plus an AC output frequency that is variable from 20 Hz to 2000 Hz. That brings me to two more questions (ignoring any brand loyalties, please!)

1) Will I notice 200 amps vs 160 amps? Will I be able to tell a significant difference in power?
2) What will the adjustable frequency allow me to do that fixed frequency will not?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to figure if the Invertig200 is "worth" $1900 to me in comparison to the $1550 ESAB. Your comments and opinions please!

Regards,
Dave
Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 08-06-2002 06:09
As I told you few weeks ago you're gonna love Esab ! Go for it !
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-07-2002 00:20
Another update here. I just downloaded the manual for the ESAB Heliarc 161 AC/DC and read it. I didn't realize it, but this unit has variable frequency as well as the HTP Invertig200. However, the frequency is varied as a function of the amperage. If you decrease the amperage with the foot pedal, the frequency increases up to 200 Hz; when you increase the amperage, the frequency decreases down to 60 Hz. Does this sound like it makes sense?

It looks like the balance control only goes from 50EN/50EP to 40EN/60EP, though. I would have thought 60EN/40EP, but I guess the opposite helps you not burn through thin material. Sound right?

Dave
Parent - By CHUB380 (*) Date 11-09-2002 02:26
If you didnt buy yet check out he new syncro 180 it now offers balence control. CHUB380
Parent - - By Roy.S Date 11-10-2002 00:17
Perhaps I can put in my 2 cents worth.

I purchased the HTP Invertig 200 about 10 months ago. I also added the water cooled sr-20 torch and the cooler and the the cart. The welder is made by Stel in Italy. The torch is made by Trafimet in Italy. The cost for all the extras is about $900.00 and they are worth it. Really broke my checkbook!

The welder is very well made and quite heavy. It is very very energy conserving. The extra capacity over the Esab may or may not make a difference, depending on what you do. At 135 amps the invertig 200 has a 100% duty cycle. All controls work as advertised. The adjustable frequency will allow narrower welds on aluminum. The balance control will allow very high cleaning or low cleaning with max pentration on aluminum.

HTP are a great bunch of people. They will help with any questions you have and can troubleshoot the welder over the phone if you can use a multi meter. They will send you the parts to fix it. They have a great reputation in the automotive/racing industry.

You should really give thought to the water cooled option if you plan to do any lengthy jobs.

I am very pleased with my choice of the Invertig 200 and I feel comfortable recommending it. I don't mean to tell you to purchase it, I just thought you might like to hear from someone who has it.

Hope I have helped just a little.

Good Luck!
Roy

Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 11-10-2002 16:00
Hey Roy:

Thanks for the post! I gather that the Invertig200 is a recent purchase? Have you actually had to do any repairs or troubleshooting? If so, what was broken that you needed to repair/troubleshoot?

Thx,
Dave
Parent - By Roy.S Date 11-10-2002 16:41
Dave,
I have not had to do any repairs. The unit is built very well and has functioned flawlessly for the 10 months I have had it. I am an electronics tech among other things and I asked HTP about repairs. They have had no defects yet. They say that they would rather troubleshoot and send you the parts rather than ship the welder back to them. Really great people to deal with. It is very easy to get an actual shop tech on the phone. The inverter welding technology was invented in Italy (semiconductors that is) and so they tend to have the bugs/failures already worked out. I come from a racing background and am very critical of possible failures. That is why I researched the heck out this unit before purchasing. The only drawback is the manual. It is written by an Italian and the translation leads to some rather strange terminology. I order most of my consumables from welding-direct and all the standard sr-20 collets, gas lenses, cups, etc. fit properly.

Roy
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TIG welder selection: Yellow?