Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Converting magneto to distributor?
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-30-2010 14:14
How hard is it to convert from a magneto on an old 51' shorthood to a distributor? Or can it be done? Got two mag's down in the shop but was thinking about this option and could probably get a distributor down the road at the used tractor scrap yard.

Also, what power(AC) options are available, upgrades to these things to have more AC power, aside from huge alternators or toting a generator along with ya?

Time to start doing something with that ol' bird down in the shop,

Thanks for any info,

Shawn
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 05-30-2010 17:51
i dont think there is an option for ac power
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-30-2010 17:59
I wouldn't go with a distibutor for the old shorthood. well the distributor for this is alot but I was told by a friend who races dirt track cars that a magneto is better because it delivers a much hotter spark and for racing it gives more power. Yes there alot to rebuilt but probally still cheaper then upgrading to a distributor. I am young but still old school and rather stick to what works.

for more a/c power I have seen people add an inverter I think it is called to the sa200 but noty really sure how much morey ou can run with that or what.
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 05-30-2010 20:16
I dont know, but here the electronic distributor is hot stuff. I almost got one when my mag kept give me so much trouble. I had enough money invested to get one. And there simply to install. Get yourself the disk from weldmart (free)
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 05-30-2010 22:36
Shawn, I did a conversion on my 74 several years ago but I got almost all of the parts free because a friend works for MSD Ignition. My setup saves me money in gas because I use an ignition box with it. I use a MSD 6A, it is a (capacitive discharge multiple spark ignition) so it fires the plug three times at max output up to 3000 RPM's not just once like a Mag. Look into spark curves from mags and points type ignitions and compare for yourself to the electronic CDMS systems. This setup burns the fuel more efficiently and completely resulting is better power and economy. I can tell you this much about 99% of the naturally aspirated drag race engines that I am around use a CDMS system usually MSD. I have worked on several hundred of these cars and use it on my vehicles as well. It took my daily driver Chevelle from 17 to 21 MPG on the highway with no other modification. It is well worth the money! Also check your head on the 162 and confirm that it has the freeze plug in it so you can use a distributor I have seen them with and without. If it does it will probably not have the tapped hole for the distributor hold down but you are a resourceful guy so I'm sure you have drilled and tapped a few holes in your time!

AC power... The most economical way is an inverter. Depending on how big you want or need will require a high amp alternator and possibly more battery capacity. I had mine tied into two batteries with a 3000W inverter and a 100amp alternator.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-31-2010 03:45
That little distributor on weldmart makes me think of an old 8N I worked on for a guy a few years back! Pretty good setup wth all the stuff you need. I really need to see what it's gonna take to put that 163 into the 162 position. The 162 is locked up tighter than......anyhow. Fixin' up this ol' girl would be way cheaper than a new miller or lincoln that's for sure, guess I could sell the ranger for a good generator that could run 110/220 if I ever needed. Trying to work this out in my head, back and forth, back and forth.....thanks for all the input guys!

Shawn
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 05-31-2010 01:00
you lose 5hp off the top end when converting it.
but if you like try this site
www.weldmart.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Converting magneto to distributor?