Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Work Smarter Not Harder
- - By Superflux (****) Date 06-01-2010 05:21
Ok,
This worn out cliche comes up every so often.
I love/hate it when someone falls back on this one. It almost always is presented by one who is lazy and not all that smart.
Roadwhore rule #4...If it were all that easy, my grandmother could have crocheted two of them yesterday!

Just remember superflux's roadwhore rule #2....

LAZYNESS IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION!!!!!
Now, here comes the disclaimer.
It does, (usually) however, take great effort to make the invention come to fruition, and benefit the greater good of all mankind...typically far more effort than the original concept!

Necessities have and always will be met. See "Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs" (necessities).
Sorry....Just reminiscing back to Sociology 132 class.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-02-2010 02:08
????     Bad day with 2 digit I.Q.'s?????
Parent - By moore478 Date 06-02-2010 02:34
I definitely agree on this phrase on some point. IMO it doesn't mean laziness but working smarter to make your work easier. Every task has some kind of process on which you can use to make your task easier than you thought. Workers tend to stick to the rule at hand to the extent even if it makes the work harder. You can always thought of a new process to make your work easier but have the same output. And that what I call smart worker.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-16-2010 20:12 Edited 06-16-2010 20:18
I can't say I agree. If a guy walks 100 feet to get a bolt and then back, two minutes later goes back that 100 feet to get another bolt then if I said, "hey dude work smarter not harder, grab a handful of bolts just in case, make one trip." From an employer stand point I would not call the guy lazy because he wanted to make less trips, I'd say he was smart because he would be saving me money on the mile he's gonna walk going for 1 bolt, 1 bolt....1 bolt.........1 bolt.......that would annoy the mother lovin' sh_t out of me. 

Another, your walking from one end of the shop to the other with your grinder, you walk right past the bin with the grinding wheels you know you are gonna need. Once at the other side you drop off your grinder, walk back to the bin to get the grinding wheels. Working smarter, as you pass the wheels stick em' in your pockets, hands and take grinder and wheels at the same time, one trip.

That's my interpretation of working smarter, it's not sacrificing quality of the work just improving how the work is planned out, tasks are completed. I've got a friend that was a night shift manager in a factory over near Searcy, Ark for several years. I would hear him go off on the phone about "these dumb f'krs can only carry one thing at a time", can only complete one task at a time instead of working on multiple tasks equally to get the job done. The story about walking right past something that and then coming back for it, true, straight from his mouth, watched a guy do it except it was about 4-5 things he walked by. All little things that could have been picked up in one trip. Working smarter, apparently something that guy could not figure out. He's in Alabama now....still here it LOL

Or, what I'm about to go through. I'm sub-teaching this week. The torches are outside on the cart. The night class is about to come in. I'm gonna tell them to change out he tanks(empty) and I can almost bet that instead of rolling the cart the 30-40 to the storage area for the tanks to make the exchange they'll remove the tanks from the cart and roll them by hand. Now, if I say, work smarter not harder, roll the cart over there as it was designed to do........just my .02

with respect
Shawn
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 06-16-2010 22:21
Cumminsguy71
When I was in High School many moons ago I was in a program that allowed me to go to school a half a day and to a shop and weld the other half. It was called Vocational Industrial Clubs of America, (SkillsUSA now) and the instructor had a man come in for a week and we did a seminar on Time/Work/Motion Studies. Shawn I can't tell you the benefits I have reaped from that week of study.
I have a bad habit of telling people I am the laziest person they know as I Work Smarter not Harder.
Schools just aren't like they were in the 60's.
Have a good class
Marshall
- - By awspartb (***) Date 06-02-2010 15:22
My favorite is:

Strong back, weak mind.
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 06-16-2010 15:49
A buddy of mine always says "If youre gonna grow up dumb you better be tough!"
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-16-2010 16:28
Strong like bull, smart like bull.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Work Smarter Not Harder