Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding education for career changer
- - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 08-08-2002 03:38
I am retiring from one career and would like to enter the metal trades, especially ornamental work or restoration. I have training in welding (SMAW, GTAW, OAW etc.)from a community college, but that was 15 years ago and have some experience with metal work including forging. I am not looking for premium pay but am looking for secure, satisfying work probably with a small to medium size company. What welding process would be the best to train on, i.e. be the most attractive to a potential employer? Thanks for any recommendations.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-08-2002 13:25
Ken, as an employer there are several different classifications for welders that I hire. For the type of work that you are interested in GMAW and GTAW will be valuable. It is important to also be skilled in SMAW. I suggest if you are looking for a truly rewarding career that you open your own little shop specializing in ornamental iron and restoration. Owning your own shop will be one way that you can make good money in this particular area. I hire people that can weld high pressure pipe and production GMAW. There is a significant difference in the pay scale for these two jobs, high pressure pipe welders can make at least double what a production mig welder will. It all depends on what you want for yourself, the best pay will go to the man who can weld high pressure pipe with SMA, GTA, FCAW. But there is always an opening for the production GMAW operator also. I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 08-09-2002 04:38
Michael, Thank you for the quick reply. Your suggestions are very much in line with my intuition. I will be continuing a welding course at the local adult school that can lead to AWS certification. I have been undecided about the best cert. to pursue. I thought SMAW pipe might be the one that demonstrates the most skill (non-ferrous GTA aside), yet some say GMA is a more universal need. It is nice to have feedback from the field. Thanks again.
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-09-2002 10:50
There is a huge need for GMAW skills. However, it is not difficult to learn and the pay will reflect that. FCAW, SMAW and GTAW are going to be more valuable in the long run. I would start with a certification in SMAW pipe, work your way up to a 6G. If you can weld SMA well, than I find that all of the others will come very easily. I hope this helps.

Respecfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-09-2002 14:28
Ken

My two cents for you,

In my view a multi process cert. demonstrates the greatest amount of versitility. A GTAW root SMAW cover 6G certification on pipe may open doors that other certs. will not. If you choose to run your own business with this, you have proven mastery of two processes. I doubt that anybody who would commission you to build ornimental iron projects would put a mig cert requirement into any contract language.

Also, Know this, working iron is fun, but ornimental Ironwork will most likely include fences and powered gates which are math and electronics intensive, rework due to error can be devistating. It would be advisable to apprentice for a time with somebody expert in the work you love before you strike out on your own.

If you choose to work for somebody else, and wish to make a respectable wage you will need to qualify/certify specifically on what ever work they may have, however, the time spent aquiring a multi process cert is not wasted its impressive and will likely get your foot in the door for an interview/test.

Lawrence
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-09-2002 15:29
In my opinion the process you are most skilled and enjoy using would be the way to start off. If your current location only uses GMAW and you don't want to move, then the decision becomes harder.

Being skilled a little in all of the processes is better than being "the best" at one (In My opinion). The part of welding that separates it from other "crafts" is the fact that it is a skill that requires hand eye coordination. Once that is developed, the rest involves learning the variables of the process and using them to your advantage.

Sometimes that "skill" in a seldom used process can be developed with little practice, provided you are knowledgable about how to set it up. I have seen someone who never welded a vertical up fillet weld with FCAW before, make a very good looking weld by setting the machine properly (he read the instructions from the wire manufacturer), understanding what causes excess convexity, and correcting.

What is attractive to the employer varies. I'd try to find the work/environment that I enjoy if my financial situation allows it at the time.

I've considered changing to something else myself. I hope you find what you want.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 08-11-2002 19:35
I am impressed with this forum and the kind and helpful responses I have received. Another wrinkle in my situation is that my wife and I will likely be relocating from California to somewhere between Cincinnati and Washington DC to be closer to family. It is hard to network/interview etc from 2000 miles away. One of my thoughts was being able to add a welding cert or at least training toward a cert to my list of experiences. My logic was that would document at least some level of expertise and perhaps lead to an interview. Employers may not take me serioulsy when they see I am changing careers from psychologist to metal worker and don't understand I do have some training and experience. The comment has been made to me in the past that I don't understand that metalwork can be hot, dirty work. It would seem that with so many younger people wanting to go into "computers" and the like that there would be a need for people wanting to go into the crafts/trades.

The comment about finding the work environment that I would enjoy is helpful to hear. Although money is necessary, job satisfaction is crucial in my mind. Coming home at the end of a day feeling like you have accomplished something is what makes me want to go to work the next day.

Thanks again for all the comments and opinions.

Ken
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-12-2002 12:15
Ken, if you end up somewhere between Cleveland Ohio and Erie Pa. write me and I will help you find a job. I may even need someone by then. Personally, I respect the pipe welders the most. A man qualified to weld pipe in a 6G position has demonstrated his ability and can undoubtedly be taught to mig weld easily. Good luck and keep us updated.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 08-13-2002 03:36
Thank you very much for the offer of help. Potentially, I could be ready to explore opportunities and locations by this fall. Our family is located in Cincinnati and Washington so the first concentration is in those areas then branching out from there. I would really appreciate knowing the best way to contact you. Until then I'm signed up for the next class. My e-mail is accentmetal_art@yahoo.com.
Thanks again.
Ken
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding education for career changer