Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Applyed for Liebherr am i ready to go into the industry?
- - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-03-2010 22:16
Hey All, I am a newbie to the welding world.Okay so heres my background, I started out 3 years ago by sodering whatever i could find. realizing i had a interest in joining  metal my boyfriend bought me a Fisher-Price my first Mig welder lol. for valentines day. I loved it. A week later one of his buddies with 5 years auto shop welding came over and he said i welded better then him. Then I realized i was good at it. So i took 2 semester at the community college. I took OAW, SMAW basic, SMAW advanced, FCAW and a welding Qulification test. TO get to the point............................................................At the start of my 2 semester i had only taken 4 flux cored classes when my instructor said why dont you work for liebherr? I said yeah he then told me he was the teacher at liebherr. i thought i would be a shoe in. so a month later i got interviewed they asked me to take the weld test so a week later i took the test and bombed so bad. I have now finished my 2 semester and have reapplyed to liebherr in hopes that i now have the training to pass the weld test.

LEIGH_ANN
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 06-04-2010 09:33
leighann hanson
First Welcome to the Forum
Second in over 40 years of joining metals utilizing 7 different processes I have found women to be very good welders, in a lot of cases better than even myself. The only problem is in the real world shops the men welders are still boys and won't leave the girls alone.
I have also found them to have the potential to be better than men in the other trades that men dominate, painting, machining, drafting...
Good Luck and again Welcome to the Forum
Marshall
Parent - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-04-2010 14:42
thank you for your kind words and welcome
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 06-04-2010 12:00
Hey Leigh_Ann,
As an " 'ol timer", I can only suggest you to get as much hood time as possible & practice with all processes. You haven't indicated your situation regarding your home setting & if you have the available space, power requirements, & resources to pick up a good used welder. There are always good buys on your local Craigslist if you browse it daily. A daily routine of a couple hours of SMAW & GMAW would keep your skills sharp & varying metal thicknesses & joints will give you confidence you can handle an entry test. It's simply up to you to ask youself: "How bad do I want it?"

Denny
Parent - - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-04-2010 14:46
i recently got a flux machine for mothers day but have not been able to use it. it was a used machine the tip was melted bad and the liner needs to be replaced how much do torch liners for max wire .045. run. im gonna practice everday.
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 06-05-2010 03:14
you are never truly "READY" but what you need to do is listen to those in the industry. if you KNOW that you are ready , than you are going to have a hard time.  if you are willing to listen to those who have been doing it for a long time, than you are ready, if you think you know it all, you will be lucky to find someone  who will teach you more than what not to do.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-06-2010 01:49
Leigh Ann,
Could you supply the specifics of your weld test, how it was tested, and what you "bombed". There are many in here who have taken and given employment tests. Be willing to guide you if we knew more details so that you could be better prepared next time.
I used to grade (visual only) fillet weld tests for the fabrication of Caterpillar 240 ton mining trucks, and am familiar with Liebherr equipment.
Rule 1. Relax and have fun. Can't be nervous during test time.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-07-2010 19:34
Leigh Ann (are they two separate names?),
My advice: keep on practicing, so next time you apply for Liebherr you'll be successful. You see, working for Liebherr is a privilege. Liebherr is one of the major crane manufactureres in the world, comparable to Manitowoc and American Hoist. Having worked for Liebherr will open many doors for you.
Good Luck.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
- By leighann hanson (*) Date 11-18-2010 20:48
Hey All, im back and you will be happy to hear that i finally got my job with LIEBHERR. i start nov 29th. as a welder/fitter trainee. with pay and benefits. A month ago the HR guy called me saying they wanted me to be apart of a welding program that they were doing at a college of course i agreed. it was mon -fri 8 hour day training. there was only 5 of us and 3 of us got hired. i went in took my test. failed it. but get this. they told me the first time i took the test i got 27 out of 100 and this time i got a 60. i was impressed by the differnce. so they hired me. crazy right.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Applyed for Liebherr am i ready to go into the industry?