Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / where else is there to work other than shipyards?
- - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-04-2010 04:14
Sick of seeing shipyard jobs for welders in my area. i got no problems with people that weld at shipyards but i want to do something other then ship building. I have applied at Liebherr they buid mining equip. I have no interest in automotive welding. What companies are out the for bridges, tunnels, railroad           i have no clue what to look for........................help

LEIGH_ANN
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-04-2010 04:23
Got the same problem down here in Louisiana seems like all shipyard work. Where I work it's pretty much a shipyard and I'm in the same boat looking for something different. You may want to check out rigzone.com
Parent - - By hojopens3 (**) Date 06-04-2010 12:35
chris, i quit my rig welders job offshore you may want to check out spartan offshore drilling
Parent - By tigrooter (**) Date 06-04-2010 18:16
They already got a ad on rigzone for it saw it about ten min ago.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-05-2010 00:58
hojopens3 yes this was the company I found that is highering and it looks like I'd have to go down to Broussard LA which if I had to drive that far to go work work I think I'd pass on it. How was the company to work for, any reason why you quit or just wanted to try something different??
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-04-2010 11:20
If you live in Norfolk VA, seems to me you are going to do something related to shipbuilding. If there are companies in your area that do different things than shipbuilding, see what they need. But I am going to venture the training you are getting as a student is slanted toward heavy steel fabrication. A similar issue would be living in Houston TX and not wanting to work in the energy industry. Yes there are companies that do things in Houston that do things outside the energy business, but you have to look for them.
And there is always the option of working for yourself. There are always gates and fences to be built, boats needing repaired, stuff fabricated. You can hit a Tractor Supply or Northern Tools and pick up a gasoline welder for $3K, get a cutting torch, some bottles, hand tools in a tool box and you are in business.
You might be surprised how many people are willing to pay someone to stick things together for them.
Just an idea. Think other than who can I weld for and more what can I weld to make money.
Parent - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-04-2010 15:00
I have talked to my boyfriend about starting a fab shop one day but that would be more of a retirement plan and im only 21 years old i gotta long way to go. thx for your comment
- - By Hughes Welding (*) Date 06-04-2010 10:48 Edited 06-04-2010 10:50
Hello  I live in norfolk also, there are fab shops. That is where I prefer to work I don't think that ship yard work would sute me.  I applied for Lieberr also but didn't get the job 'cause I was on aleart to deploy with my army unit, they told me to come back when I returned from deployment.  Their weld test is strict.  It is always hard to get started when you are young.
Parent - - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-04-2010 14:58
I really want to work for NASA one day but right now i want to work for Liebherr i took the test months ago when i had only started out in flux at school. i did so poorly. I relized alot by taken that test. Tidewater community college was not using thick enough metal to train us. another thing we never used a tape measure in school. also at Liebherr i used a old machine now i know a welder should be able to weld on any machine but i was useto a new machine. where can i learn skills not taught to me by tcc so i can pass this test.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 06-04-2010 23:33
I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ , but the best place hone your skills on the job! If ship yards are hiring and the pay okay go there for a little while. Look for people who who are good at what they do and learn from them. Even though it's not the type of welding you want to do you will still learn alot about fabrication, people and work ethic.
Parent - - By leighann hanson (*) Date 06-05-2010 00:16
True, I should have stated another reason why im looking for other industrys besides ship yards is because i have in fact tried. Thats what i applied for first. I tryed BAE systems and Northrop Grumman. BAE said i could apply for an apprentice program that they do 2 times a year and Northrop wanted me to go threw there school  if i got accepted. applied for both companies called them to check up several times even walked in and almost a year later NO REPLY. but Liebherr has given me a shot and i think they will let me try again thats why i want to go else where then shipyards.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-05-2010 01:09
gotta agree on job training is where it is at although I do believe it's good to go to school and get you're basics. I'm at a place I absolutely freaking hate and would love to go back into pipe welding but had to take this job because I couldn't find any of it around. Glad though I took the job because I have learned alot from the people I work with and some of these guys have done pipe and just everything out there so it has helped me to ask questions about pipe and it has helped me at home with my practice and not only that what I'm doing now has helped me with all my welding.

I've been going back and forth should i go work for Northrop Gruman it is a very dangerous place to work but I may have a chance to really learn alot there, so I'm going back and forth is the money worth my life or what. I've heard so many bad things about it from many different people who have worked there. Guess it will depend on how desperate I am hahah
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / where else is there to work other than shipyards?