Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fein Grinders
- - By strother (***) Date 06-04-2010 23:45
Why do they cost so much? Are they that good?  I saw 4-1/2" today in a catalogue for $229.00 . Makita, which has served me well cost $89.00 is Fein really that good?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-05-2010 02:40
The Fein tools I have seen are first class. Would I pay $229 for a 4 1/2" grinder? No Way. For that sort of money it better grind by Itself.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-05-2010 11:42
I don't know about Fein but just ordered a W14 Metabo to replace my dead Milwaukee....just over a year old. Guess I talked to highly about it and it laid down on me. So, next stop metabo. If that only lasts a year....maybe Fein.....if that don't work guess I just need to buy a gross of cheap grinders to tote in a trailer behind the truck. Do a search on google for Fein reviews. I've got a 4" makita I bought for $25 back in 98', used it like mad until about 3 years ago, now it just rides around in the truck as a back up and works good. I think it's just about what day the particular grinder was built. Met a guy who only used the $70 or so dollar bosch and swore by them, lasted years and when they quit just got another one. Don't know how much grinding he actually did with them though. I buy something at $50-70 and it's dead within months....or a year. Good luck
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2010 04:51
One of My friends has burned up several 4 1/2" Metabos, but He leans on them real hard. He should be using a heavy duty grinder like a Wild Cat, but they are too heavy...
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-06-2010 12:16
That might be my problem Dave, perhaps I need to break out that heavy dewalt that rides around in my toolbox more often!
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 06-06-2010 14:59
I got 3 - 6" Metabos & 1 - 9" Metabo the early ones were great the newer ones don't last as long. My oldest one I had the gear in the head replaced 2 times since 2000. My newest one I have replaced the gear in the head once and the switch on & off 3 times since 2008. In the past year I got a 6" Fein I haven't had any problems out of it yet but it is hard to use with the way the switches are.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 06-06-2010 17:52
How much did the Fein cost? I wouldn't mind paying if they last forever but most grinders I 've tried die within a few months . Makitas usually last a couple of years and I've got a pile of old ones that I use for parts.  Where did do by the Fein?
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 06-08-2010 08:59
It cost a little over $200 I got it at Sidney Lees Welding Supply, I haven't really used it that much because of the way work has been but in a few months I got some 72" Girders to Splice and I'll make it earn its money then.
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 06-08-2010 23:52
If it will hold up to beam splicing work then it is a good one.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-08-2010 19:00
Makita is made where with what kind of labor ?  Fein is made where ?  Currency exchange rates ?  Think about it.
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 06-08-2010 19:24
Let me guess?  Makita is made in China by little boys because girls are not keepers and Fein is made in Germany by the same big breasted Amazons that make the Fein Multi-Master vibrating tool?
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 06-08-2010 23:49
I live about 20 miles from the Makita plant in Buford, Ga. As far as I know they are american made. But I still would not take a dozen for one of my Metabos.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 06-09-2010 00:00
Where is Fein made ? I assumed Germany but I don't really know. I'm just wondering if they are worth the price . I've done the math and if a 4-1/2" Fein Grinder will last 5yrs. then it would cost me less than a Makita .I don't mind paying for for quality I just want to know that I'm paying for quality and not hype.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-09-2010 03:34
I like My old Black & Decker 6 amp paddle switch 4 1/2" grinders. They are the easyest to use one handed that I have used. They might not stand up to what You are doing, but some of Mine have been used pretty hard for pretty long. I got most of them used.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-09-2010 19:50
Yes Germany and their site says 3 year warranty.  I still got a Makita cutoff saw is retired to backup now and it's not completely worn out yet and a big Sioux grinder still works and some little B&D so haven't tried a Fein yet.

http://www.fein.de/corp/de/en/custom/

http://www.fein.de/corp/us/en/custom/index.html

Got a Flex / Auckermann Schmitt polisher 12 years ago they are good and make grinders too but cost about the same or more than Fein. 

http://www.flexnorthamerica.com/index.html
Parent - By strother (***) Date 06-09-2010 22:09
Thanks I'll check out those sites .
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fein Grinders