Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Advice on metal furniture?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-09-2002 00:33
OK, I'm thinking of making a metal CD rack (a quite large one!) With the end-tables I made, I first tried using angle stock for the horizontal parts (to have a lip to put the ceramic tile on), and round rods for the legs. Needless to say, for a newbie with a self-shielding wire feed welder, that first prototype didn't look too good...<g>.

I'd really like to use round rods for the legs of the CD rack (probably around 1/4" or so diameter). Since I will hopefully have a TIG welder by then, I think this just might be do-able. I've been noticing metal things that we've bought (like the metal patio table and chairs, even a metal basket-type dish drainer rack, I'm obsessed aren't I?). For something with small diameter rods (or wire?) like a dish drainer rack or say, the actual grill surface on a BBQ grill, where it's entirely made of perpendicular steel or stainless rods, how are these things welded? I'm sure they're mass produced by a machine, but what type of machine? An automated TIG welder, resistance welder, or plasma arc welder?

And, how can I best emulate this with hand-made items? TIG for medium thickness stuff? An automotive-type resistance (or "spot") welder for really thin stuff? Thoughts or suggestions?

Dave
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 08-09-2002 03:21
Dave
You might have use for AWS's Welding Encyclopedia. Its got all kinds of information about that kind of stuff.

As for me, except for barbecue grill grates I braze the stuff together; I do all kinds of wire work and it looks like stock from the factory.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear. The encyclopedia will introduce you to other alternatives and describe the processes used in mass production asw ell.
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-09-2002 10:44
Dee:

Thanks for the post. I will check out the encyclopedia. Btw, I want to hear what folks think is the best answer, regardless of whether it matches my pre-concieved notions...<g>.

Regards,
Dave
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-09-2002 14:51
The metal wire fabrications, like shopping carts are all resistance welded as far as I know. Arc welding would take way to long to produce anything economically.
Parent - By chapple (*) Date 08-20-2002 18:29
To answer your question, the grills, shopping carts etc. you
refrence are production welded with a resistance welding process
known as cross wire welding, not practical for home or hobby use
due to the initial cost.
It's hard to suggest a welding method to you without seeing the
project design, or at least the weld joint type. For the crosswire
projects you may lay out the pattern, heat the wire up at the
joint intersections and apply pressure, similar to hot-upsetting.
For the .25" dia. legs either GTAW, or GMAW should work fine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Advice on metal furniture?