Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fraudulent Documents for Chinese Metal Bar Grating
- - By eekpod (****) Date 06-17-2010 15:06
Everyone, this was posted on AISC's website.  Basically it appears they don't have the paperwork and documents to back up the material they said they used to fabricate the parts. 
Check it our for yourself, incase you are interested or affected.
Chris.

NAAMM Issues Warning on Chinese Metal Bar Grating
June 15, 2010 from American Institute of Steel Construction

Glen Ellyn, IL— The National Association of Architectural Metal Manufacturers (NAAMM) is advising manufacturers, fabricators, specifiers, and end-users of metal bar grating that there is reason to believe some Chinese steel used in grating does not meet the ANSI/NAAMM standards for such products. This advisory is based on the United States Department of Commerce International Trade Administration’s “Certain Steel Grating from the People’s Republic of China: Final Determination of Sales at Less than Fair Value” and the accompanying “Certain Steel Grating from the People’s Republic of China: Issues and Decision Memorandum for the Final Determination,” both dated May 28, 2010.

The U.S. Commerce Department’s “Issues and Decision Memorandum for the Final Determination” states: based on the mandatory respondent’s “own admission and the statement of its suppliers,” its “supporting documents defining its consumption of steel inputs (i.e. , hot –rolled steel strip and wire rod) for the merchandise under consideration, clearly contain false information.” Further the memorandum states, “When comparing the suppliers’ mill test certificates from our (U.S. Commerce Department) verification exhibits to mill test certificates we obtained from U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, we found material mismatches.” Further, in the U.S. Commerce Department’s “Certain Steel Grating from the People’s Republic of China: Final Determination of Sales at Less than Fair Value," it states the mandatory respondent “creates its own mill test certificates that it admits are unreliable, and that it has no ability to determine with its own analysis the chemical properties of any steel that it purchases.” We encourage all interested parties to read the Commerce Department documents to which links are provided below.

To read the United States Department of Commerce “Certain Steel Grating from the People’s Republic of China: Issues and Decision Memorandum for the Final Determination,” use the following link: www.naamm.org/Attach/steel_grating_AD_final_decision_memo.pdf

To read the United States Department of Commerce Final Determination, “Certain Steel Grating from the People’s Republic of China: Final Determination of Sales at Less than Fair Value,” use the following link: www.naamm.org/Attach/steel_grating_final_AD_determination.pdf

NAAMM is issuing this notice to interested parties wishing to purchase or specify grating manufactured to NAAMM standards, to make them aware that when selecting grating, they should take appropriate measures to verify the grating is manufactured to NAAMM standards.

The National Association of Architectural Metal Manufacturers (NAAMM) represents a wide variety of architectural metal products for building construction. NAAMM has six operating divisions, which promote the use of their specific products through the development and distribution of technical standards. The divisions are: Architectural Metal Products, Detention Equipment Manufacturers Association, Expanded Metal Lath Association, Expanded Metal Manufacturers Association, Hollow Metal Manufacturers Association, and Metal Bar Grating. For more information on NAAMM, contact the NAAMM office at (630) 942-6591; fax (630) 790-3095; or visit the association website at www.naamm.org.

###

For more information contact:

Tasha O'Berski
Communications Department
(312) 670-5439
oberski@aisc.org
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-17-2010 16:27
Somehow I'm not overly surprised. How is it we go to a store, they screw us over and we think, that place stinks, won't ever do business with them again. But with China and all of the crap they send us we keep going back to the same store to get it rammed in us again.
Parent - - By sparksandslag (**) Date 06-18-2010 03:13
I whole-heartedly agree with what you say, BUT: where in the name of all that's holy can you find anything that doesn't have that stinking "Made In China" stamped or labeled on it.  I don't think a fellow could even get a good old fashioned *ss-whupping that is American made, thanks to Slick Willy turning everything over to the Chinks!
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 06-18-2010 15:14
Bought garlic, real cloves of garlic, from the store today: Made in China.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 06-18-2010 17:55
I read through the info and most of it was about the trade issue of China's "dumping" of their products.  But also, the material certs for the stock the bar grating was fabricated from were unavailable or obviously falsified.  One of my jobs is to check physical and chemical analyses certifications from contractor's suppliers and fabricators.  A lot of chicanery goes on here, with products from the U.S. also.  Once you get used to looking at these certs, it's usually pretty obvious when they're faking something.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-19-2010 12:21
"I don't think a fellow could even get a good old fashioned *ss-whupping that is American made"

Your probably right Sparks!

I was talking to a student last night that was telling me about a salesman where he worked at who went to China. He said and one point he drove 200 miles and on both sides of the road were huge factories pumping out junk. He said you know what I'm saying? 200 HUNDRED MILES, Factory after factory, one right after the next. He said the salesman said he would not have believed it if he had not seen it with his own eyes.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-20-2010 03:48
I am sure Cactus could tell You where to get a good old fashoned American A*s Whooping, if anybody WANTED one ...

Come to think of it, I probably know a few who could still give one.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-20-2010 13:26
"Red Wing Rash" is still Made in the USA even if the Red Wings are not. LOL

jrw159
- - By Dualie (***) Date 06-19-2010 05:33
wasnt there a load of bad tube a couple years ago also?
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 06-21-2010 17:51
yes there was a bunch of defective seam welds in square and rectangular tubes for structural steel from China.  That was back in MArch of 2008 from the State of California who put that notice out.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-21-2010 19:22
I just hope the Chinese weapons systems are of the same quality as their exports.  I try very hard not to purchase materials/tools and whatever else I can from there....but it is getting so hard to do.    Had problems with steel from Brazil?/South America many years ago...coil after coil .....the stuff had lots of contamination in it and would literally peel apart like a piece of plywood coming unglued.  I can give China credit tho...they are extremely consistent...it is all junk.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fraudulent Documents for Chinese Metal Bar Grating