Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Best Auto Darkening Helment With PAPR
- - By cbrussell Date 06-19-2010 19:22
Cost not being a factor, which auto darkening welding helmet with PAPR is the best? I see Speedglass, Miller and Sperian, (I am sure theer are others), but I am uncertian as to which one is the best. I am purchasing five units for our company job site welders so making the correct choice is paramount. What features make one better than the other? Any help making this decision would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-23-2010 19:09
We have over 70 paper systems in use. The Adflo by speedglas is pretty good. The hose if very flimsy and the front flexview portion isn't as durable as I would like. The new series by Miller is impressive. The hose is much more rigid making it less likely to pinch off air flow. The flip up also seems more durable, haven't had it long enough to tell you for sure. The L-series from 3M is way heavy! I would recommend getting a Miller demo with flip up - the Titanium 9400i. I have two, waiting for something bad to happen. So far so good.
Parent - By turbolaser (**) Date 06-25-2010 00:07
I use a speedglas with flexview and love it.  My unit is going on 4 years old without a problem.  I tested out a jackson papr unit and disliked it.  On the jackson the airhose and duct system were part of the hood so anytime I tried to raise the hood the hose and duct end were digging into my back and would'nt raise all the way.  The speedglas duct system is part of the headgear allowing for full movement of the hood. The hose is very flexible so it does'nt add any resistance when you turn you head in any direction. My only dislike of the speedglass unit is that the sensors on the lens detect strobe lights from the overhead cranes and mobile equipment up to 100 feet away and causes the lens to flicker into dark state when not welding, that's with the lowest sensitivity setting.  No matter what brand unit you go with having a flip up front lens is a huge convenience.  When I was shopping for one the local supply shops were more then willing to bring me out a  unit to test out and try on so I could determine what unit I was most comfortable/user friendly.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-09-2011 17:34 Edited 04-09-2011 17:36
Needed my trusty AWS Forums to research supplies for the welders. I've been looking into this stuff for a couple of days. Last week the company discovered the ever feared HEXAVALENT CHROMIUM (someone must have seen Erin Brockovich again on TMC) has been lurking in paint. Since you said money is no object (and we have a budget to spend or won't get as much for next year...), Optrel hoods and PAPR systems seem to be running around $1500.00

As far as what is best?? Optrel claims that their's is one pound lighter than the competition. And, the Welder I travel with has an Optrel hood and swears by it. Win win situation, I can get his well worn personal hood replaced, with a top of the line filtration system.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Best Auto Darkening Helment With PAPR