Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 will not start
- - By teamroping99 Date 06-20-2010 00:12
Was wondering if any one might know what is wrong with my welder. This morning it started up good and ran for ten minutes and then shut off and now all it will do is just crank over but will never fire up. please let me Know so I can get back to work thank you
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-21-2010 02:29
Does it have fire and start back up after cooling off or no fire at the plug after it dies if so suspect a bad coil.  Spark, Fuel, Air & Good Compression. 

Trouble-Shooting Gasoline & Diesel Engines IM129

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/im/obsomenu.pdf
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-21-2010 14:24
Like Iron Head said, check your spark, remove plug wire, install screwdriver and let it lay on the cylinder head(to ground) and have somebody crank it over, watch for a spark. No spark then mag/distributor problems. I have a fake spark plug they sell at the parts house that clips onto a bolt or something so you can check spark, have used the screwdriver or remove spark plug tricks hundreds of times though.

Air filter dirty? It would have to be plugged up pretty bad to cause a no start condition though. Found a plastic bag sucked into an air filter housing on a Lull once, they complained it would crank but never start til they killed the battery. Can't remember how it got in there but I remember saying, "unbelievable".

Fuel, yes, ran across guys on jobsites, won't start complaints.....gas in the tank usually helped with the whole combustion process or in the worst cases, diesel fuel in the diesel fuel operated machine instead of gasoline, seen that more than one person should. On those old cars I used to work on 60's models you could remove the air filter and look down in the carb and snap the throttle linkage and see gas squirt out of the jets, usually a good indication you had a good working fuel pump getting gas up to the carb, but since these are gravity fed no fuel pump problems. Might be a good way to see if you have gas in the carb though, maybe got trash in it, blocking fuel flow? Or something else I've seen tons of, clogged fuel strainers, filters. Don't have enough hands and toes in my entire house to count fingers and toes on the times I have found that as a problem.

Shawn
- By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 06-20-2010 00:58
I'm sure you checked the obvious, but do you have gas? Do you have spark? They only run on three things, gas, spark, and air. Trick is getting the proper amounts, at the proper time.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 will not start