Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SAE 400 Trailer Build
- - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-24-2010 02:04
I'm wanting to build a trailer for my 400. No space for anything just the machine itself. Ive seen people/pics of/with this machine with both a single and double axle. Id like to hear some opinions from people on what route they would go-single or double axle?

Thanks
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 06-24-2010 03:03
The factory trailer for the big 400s years ago, they had the srings welded to the welder frame and a tongue welded to the end. Single axle.
Parent - - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-24-2010 19:19
Ive actually seen a few sa 200's set up that way. That seems scary. Also, Id like to be able to move/lift the machine if i need to work on it.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-24-2010 20:12
If you only want the machine itself on the trailer, I see no need for anything more then a 3500lb axle and springs.  Two axles would increase your cost initially and more for tires ect.   I do not know how much the 400 weighs but I have seen plenty of Big blue 300, 400, 500 on single axle trailers that are factory and way more cheesy then anything you might build.   I have a 1400lb machine that will be on a single axle and I am building it big enough for bottles, vice, chop saw and some tool boxes.   If I was going to make a long trailer that would haul material as well I definitely would build a double probably with 5000lb axles....but for just a machine?  naw

Tommy

Just make sure your weight is about 60-70% on the tounge.
Parent - - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-24-2010 20:35
Thanks for the input Tommy. Im starting to lean towards a single axle. What are your thoughts on using a drop axle? the machine is really high (about a foot higher then my 200), so im a little worried about rolling it.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 06-25-2010 04:34
My SAM had a straight axle, but for sure a drop axle would be better. But, you have pretty heavy machine, and unless you drive like a madman, you really shouldn't roll it
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-25-2010 06:14
It is a foot higher....but is the CG or the meat of the weight up high? Or is that just a taller hood?   IF you are worried about roll then consider a wider axle...the wider the better as far as that goes.   A drop axle would be fine, no real difference except for price and you could put on 13-14" utility wheels and tires and get it even lower.   Think about it cause you will be stuck with those hubs once you get it....I do not think a 5 hole chevy or ford pattern works on those smaller wheels.  I am going to use standard Ford 15" 5 hole on mine with an underslung spring setup....but I am building a wider longer trailer too.
Parent - - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-25-2010 13:49
I'm definitely going with 15" wheels for the same reasons you mentioned. Tommy, whats your opinion on on using an under-slung spring setup with a drop axle?

Thanks
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-25-2010 19:47
Well as long as you get one made for doing that, has the spring pad on the correct side.   Underslung will give you a few more inches.  I have never used a torsion axle but those carry really low as well because you have eliminated the springs, I just don't know if I trust the reliability there.   It is really not a big deal you can set up however you want long as you get the right hardware.  

I do not know what you are pulling with but if you get your axle+frame low enough ......you will have to make a drop hitch or raise the hitch of your trailer to make it ride reasonably level.   Getting that much offset on your axle center will mean your fenders will be that much higher then normal on the trailer......so you will need to consider the inside width vs height (for clearance) to make sure you can open the doors on your machine.  That would suck if you got it all going only to discover you had to remove your doors to service it.
Parent - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-28-2010 02:39
I also thought about a torsion axle but have never seen one used. I cant find anybody here that sells a step up coupler, so Ill  use a drop hitch on my truck (easier). I also thought about the doors to-I'm guessing Ill have to build the frame, add the springs and then measure and guess to get the spacing of the wheels right so i can open the doors.

Thanks Tommy
Parent - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-25-2010 13:43
J Hall, thanks. I also like the look of a drop axle. I drive carefully, yet I still see people selling 200's on craigslist that have been rolled, makes me cautious.
Parent - - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-25-2010 13:51
J Hall Id also like to get your opinion on using under-slung spring axle on a drop axle trailer?

Thanks
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 06-28-2010 11:32
I would go torsion instead of underslung.
One thing to consider is that machine is 7 feet long, so you don't want it too close to the ground.
Parent - - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-28-2010 12:02
Is there a brand or website you could steer me to to do my homework on torsion axles?

Thanks J Hall
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-28-2010 13:43
Im building a goose neck trailer right now for my Vantage 400... I bought a Dexter 7000lb torsion axle to go under it... I haven't pulled it yet but I have heard great reviews on them...

They are very easy to hang compared to a standard axle...

I bought mine in Houston.... These guys are a bit stuffy when you go in there but they have the best prices I have found on any axle anywhere....  Here is a link to there site...

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=nuera+transport+houston+tx&fb=1&gl=us&hq=nuera+transport&hnear=Houston,+TX&cid=508454361395688684

RC
Parent - - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-28-2010 18:51
I did some homework on Dexter, could get a hold of anyone. i like the online literature of the product. Am I to understand you don't need springs with these axles?

Thanks RC
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-29-2010 00:05
I really like Dexter... They are made in the USA and they are tough..!!!  I have them on some other trailers and they hold up well... I have a friend that has them on a hay hauler and he's in and out of rough pastures with heavy loads day in and day out and has never had any problem with them...

It never hurts to have fenders...

If you find someone that carries Dexter products you cant go wrong with them.  If you need an Axle get a Dexter..!!!

And no torsion axles do not need springs... Just weld a tab ether side of the axle.. Bolt to the tabs, and down the road you go..!!

RC
Parent - By Austin-T (*) Date 06-28-2010 21:21
I also wanted to ask if I needed to have fenders for a welding trailer (truly just for the welder) in Texas?

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SAE 400 Trailer Build