Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification Test
- - By woodsaw Date 06-26-2010 12:42
A CAWI witnessed a welder qualification test and a CWI signed the welder qualification record. The cwi did not witness the test, he was not at the shop that day. Is this the proper way to do this?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-26-2010 12:58
To be honest, any company representative can witness the test. Just so all of the variables were witnessed and recorded properly. ...qualification both WPS and personnel are the mfg's responsibilty.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 06-26-2010 13:03
Durn
John
I just thought I was quick. LoL
Marshall
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 06-26-2010 13:03
woodsaw
Too many unknowns to give a definitive answer.
If it was to AWS D1.1 then any designated representative of the employer could be enough.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-26-2010 18:39
Agree that the paperwork is prolly not bogus.

However, a CAWI should not be doing code inspection work unsupervised.  This is clear enough in the descriptions of the QC doccuments governing CAWI's.

If the supervising CWI is not on site than the CAWI should be limited to non-inspection work.

Not really part of the question .... Just an observation.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-27-2010 14:40
Woodsaw

The actions of this CAWI were in violation of the AWS QC-1 Code of Ethics.  The Actions of the CWI were also in violation of the Code of Ethics. 

The Welder Qualification Test is probably still valid, however, because in most cases the conduct of the welder qualification examination is governed by company policy.  The Ethics violation belongs to the individual CAWI and CWI alone.  They alone are responsible for their improper actions.

In some cases, where welder qualification with a CWI witness is required by law or contract specification, the welder qualification testing and the subsequent certification paperwork may be invalid, or a "False Instrument".

Joseph P. Kane,
Member of the AWS Certification Committee, and Member of the Certification Subcommittee on Ethics.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2010 17:04
One more reason to abolish the CAWI.

al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-28-2010 13:35
Al

I agree.  As you know, I constantly propose that the CAWI be eliminated when we have our Certification Committee Meetings. I will make another motion to eliminate the CAWI again at our next meeting in July.

Joe Kane
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-28-2010 13:42
A CAWI might as well go on vacation, or play sick whenever the CWI is out of the office....I agree, may as well do away with that cert to save someone a ethics violation.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2010 12:52
Joe,
Given the premise of the OP where is the ethics violation?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-28-2010 13:29
JS55
I am not quiote sure of what you mean by "OP".

CAWI's Violation-Working alone and unsupervised.  (Not in "...visible and audible range at all times...")

CWI's Violation-Signing off for an operation he/she did not witness.

The CAWI is the only person in the world who is not permitted to inspect unsupervised.  No matter what duties the employer assigns to the CAWI, he is obligated to have constant CWI or SCWI supervision if he/she is performing inspection duties listed in AWS B-5.1.

There is only one solution for a CAWI who is required to perform inspections where he/she cannot be properly supervised.  Surrender the CAWI certificate.  It is rather useless anyway.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2010 16:18
Joe,
Sorry. OP = Original Poster.

It would be my contention that if CAWI or CWI activity isn't required in the first place there is no violation of anything, yet. I have 6 CWI's working for me here. I also have several inspectors without CWI or CAWI that do inspections for us every day. They are qualed under my SNT VTII program.

If the requirement for them is not invoked by either contract docs or the Manual its a who cares if they are a CWI or not. Their qualification falls back on the Manual requirements. They just happen to be CWI's or CAWI's and the company and their program is under no obligaiton to comply with any requirements associated with them. Thats why I emphasized what information was available to us.

So my basic argument is we cannot determine with the information available if there has been any violation yet or not. If there is no requirement for CWI and they are in compliance with their Manual and program they are good.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-28-2010 17:29
js55

It has always been my contention that most SNT-TC-1A based in house training and certification programs are at least inconsistent and fraudulent.  That is why the central certification concept of the AWS CWI program was so valuable and successful.  The ASNT ACCP program may some day be just as valuable.  I freely admit that I do not know anything about the SNT-TC-1A program run by your employer.  I also know that the ASNT-TC-1A can be quite liberally interpreted using Paragraph 1.4.  You may have the "Gold Standard" of programs. 

Two things must be kept in mind with the CAWI; First, the person is not fully qualified to perform inspection per the AWS QC-1 (based on the AWS B5.1 qualification document)!  Second, in most cases the person failed the examination!  These two things are incontrovertible facts.

So, if your employee is deemed qualified under YOUR SNT-TC-1A program, and that is all that is legally or contractually required, why have a CWI, or CAWI?  One reason might be for personal achievement and bragging rights.  If you want to participate in the program, you have to abide by the rules.  Whether or not a specific qualification is required at your company, the AWS has specified a set of rules for OUR certification.

Your "basic argument" is incorrect, and may in itself be a violation of the AWS QC-1 Code of Ethics. Your personal opinion that the COE does not apply expressed in a public forum could violate the public statements clause, because you are denying the facts.  As I have said before, your company has no obligation to the AWS CWI program and the QC-1 Code of Ethics.  Only the Certificate Holder is obligated!  (Only the  certificate holder commits the sin.)

So, for your contention "...So my basic argument is we cannot determine with the information available if there has been any violation yet or not..." I disagree.  We do have information from the original poster that The CAWI performed an inspection activity covered by AWS B5.1 without supervision.  We have information that the CWI signed off, or countersigned, the work that he was not a witness to.  If the post was established as  factual, both of these acts comprise prima facie violations.

If you have a CAWI, and you want to perform inspection activities delineated in AWS B5.1, (while working alone and unsupervised as described in AWS QC1,) simply turn in your CAWI certificate and become un-certified!  (I call the CAWI certificate a "I failed my test and I'm proud of it badge".) By turning the certification in and becoming un-certified, the record of your failure does not go away, and you can then perform whatever inspections your employer deems you qualified for, without endangering your chances of ever becoming a real CWI  because of ethics violation history. 

How does your "Turn In" benefit AWS?  The AWS is the certifying body, and violations of the AWS rules can reflect badly on the society.  Unauthorized use of the CAWI tricks the uninformed public into relying on the good name of the Society for assurance of competence.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2010 20:51 Edited 06-28-2010 20:55
I agree with Joe's position.

A condition of certification under the auspices of the QC1 program is an agreement to abide by the code of ethics and the terms and conditions set forth by QC1. The terms and conditions of QC1 are invoked when the individual accepts the certification issued by AWS. The conditions of certification are applicable whether or not the client invokes a requirement for inspectors to be certified to QC1.

This holds true for any individual certified under the auspices of QC1, the SCWI, CWI, and CAWI alike. The terms and conditions are applicable at all times, not only when they are convenient. It is like the "Boy Scout Oath,” it applies all the time, not just when the uniform is being worn.

AWS B5.2 is a standard that delineates a method for qualifying and certifying visual welding inspectors for in-house certification programs, much like the ASNT's Recommended Practice SNT-TC-1A. There is no code of ethics to abide by and it allows the employer ample latitude to develop a program to suit their needs.

QC1 is not for everyone. If the certified individual cannot abide by the COE for one reason or another, the certification is best surrendered. For example; it is best to surrender the certification if the individual decides to take a part time job as a get-away-driver for a crew planning a bank job, because of the clause in QC1 that states the certified individual will not take part in fraudulent or unlawful activities. Even though the job does not require certification to QC1, taking part in such activities will be seen as a violation of the COE. It goes without saying those activities reflects badly on all QC1 certification holders.

"We are SCWIs, CWIs, and CAWIs, but we only act like them when it is required by contract." is not going to be well received by the QC1 committee. QC1 inspectors no, scoundrels yes would most likely be the conclusion drawn by many members of the QC1 committee.

I am a lawyer by day and a pimp after hours is not going to be well received by the "Bar" because the lawyer took an oath to be an officer of the court and is expected to act as one at all times. Wait a minute; my argument is going terribly wrong. Bad example, bad example. Let me start again.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-28-2010 21:09
Al

OOH!  OOOH!

I'll call you after - Five? Six?

Joe Kane
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2010 21:22
Call me after 6:00.

I have to take care of my daughter's horse while she's on vacation.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-28-2010 21:48
Okay, while I was typing my question (shown below this) and dodging customers at the shop Al threw in some comments that helped me see some of the aspects of this.  And it probably contains the answer to my questions. 

I'll presume thus far that I did indeed understand Joe correctly and that that usage would be a violation.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-28-2010 21:43
Joe, 

I'd like to ask a question that I hope is not taken as either a poor attempt to keep this going, nor interpreted as a justification of someone's poor choice of actions.  I don't have this type of service, but maybe by asking it this way it will clear this up for me in case I ever do and for others who are following this.

So:  (strictly speculative and based also upon the OP's question)

If a part of my business is testing and qualifying welders for employers in my area to whatever code, but lets say D1.1 for the sake of argument (poor choice of words), so that they can do their projects per their customers requirements in Contract Documents and that customer calls asking me to come to his shop as he does not have time to witness his employee taking a test and wants all parties to be held accountable as to who welded which plate, the position it was welded in and the process that was used etc (all of which should be permissible for the employer or his representative to witness even if he sends me the plates to cut and bend and document as to acceptablility of the test).  I decide to send a 'helper' who represents me, and just happens to have a CAWI because he failed the exam, to witness the welders taking the tests and documenting their ID and bringing the coupons back to me for testing.  I prep them, cut them and bend them.  I fill out all paperwork and send it back to the customer/employer saying the coupons were ACCEPTABLE.  My employee did no 'Inspecting'.  He witnessed the tests which does not have to be done by a CWI.

Now, if I understand your position correctly,  this would be a wrong, fraudulent, improper, usage of my helper/employee simply because he has a CAWI and is not to be working without my supervision.  Is that the correct understanding of what you said?  To me, and I'll probably get myself in trouble as js did with you Joe as to how I word this, it is not a question of disagreeing with the code and especially in a public forum, but what can I use my employees for just because they happen to hold a CAWI?  Can my employees not do ANYTHING without me being right there if they have a CAWI?  I felt the emphasis was on inspections done to a particular code on a job that defined usage of that code.  I'm not challenging or questioning, just trying to clarify, and that possibly needs to be done with a formal question to be answered through channels.

I just want to be clear for my own understanding.  Because I had thought about that kind of scenario and had not seen it as a violation.  But, since I was not yet in a position to do such a thing I had not really checked it out in detail.  And no one here, not the OP, js, nor you had presented a detailed application of the question from this perspective.

If the above would be a definite violation, then it would most definitely be in everyone's best interest not to even have a CAWI part of the program because it causes more problems to all parties concerned with the enforcement and obeying of the application details of the position.

I believe there are more than a few people confused or not sure of the application of this based upon some of the other previous posts in this thread.  But do we need to get a formal clarification by sending it to the 'Technical Committee' so it is actually published in official format?  Not questioning you and your knowledge of this issue Joe, but maybe this is not something that we should even try to clarify on the forum but need to use the 'Official' channels to expand upon the position.  If so, I'm sure there are several here more versed in using this procedure than myself to get it taken care of.

Thank you for your time, I hope you will take time to read and comment on my question.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 03:05
Brent

QC-1 is how the AWS "Certifies" welding inspectors.  It is based on the recommendations found in the AWS B5.1.  Most things in B5.1 would have the "Should" wording, because most articles in it are "suggestions" or recommendations.  When you go to QC1, we use the word "Shall", because everything is mandatory.  That should clear up the "should / shall" confusion.

If you choose to write for clarification to the AWS QC-1 Subcommittee of the AWS Certification Committee, you may get an answer to a concise question.  We probably will not respond to the lengthly scenarios that are written about this subject in the Forum.   For my part, there is no question nor any ambiguity.  I was the author of the "...visible and audible range..." wording back in 1996. Back then, that wording, (that is still in the QC-1 today) seemed simple and succinct to the rest of the Committee. 

I was also the chairman of the Ethics Subcommittee for several years, and I am still a member of the Ethics Subcommittee. I am also on the QC-1 Subcommittee.  JS55 is not in trouble with me for questioning the explanation that I give, unless he knows I am right and is just trying to get around the requirements of QC-1 by quibbling.  Legitimate questions are never unauthorized public statements.  My writings here in the Forum are not the true "Official" interpretations.  Only the QC-1 Subcommittee can issue the "Official" interpretation.  However, since I am so intimately involved in the document in question, I believe I am giving accurate information.

I say again, the individual AWS CAWI / CWI / SCWI is responsible for their adherence to the Code of Ethics.  The company, even though it may be owned by a CWI / SCWI, is not responsible if it sends a CAWI out alone to perform an inspection function listed in AWS B5.1 for CWI's.  Only the certificate holder commits the sin, by accepting the assignment. In your example, it may be a scurrilous thing for the CWI owner to send the CAWI out alone, but it is not a violation of the Code of Ethics for the employer.

I agree that the D.1.1 does not require the QC inspector to be a CWI.  It allows the use of a person who has experience, training, Education, ETC.  It does have another clause that says the bases of the employers certification for their appointed inspector shall be documented.  In other words, where is the test you gave that appointed inspector?  So, just because the contract requirements do not require a CWI / SCWI, doesn't mean that the work of  a witness, a function listed in the B5.1, does not require direct supervision when the witness has a CAWI.  Remember, the CAWI is A: not qualified, and B; probably has failed the exam.  How do you, the employer, now say that he is qualified.  The CAWI card is evidence of a lack of qualification.  What is your documented "BASE" of his qualification? 

In the example you gave, the witness function is one of the functions listed in AWSB5.1 for a welding inspector (WI).

Unless you want to hold the CAWI's hand until he / she passes the exam at the CWI level, he is useless to you.  I recommend that he surrender the CAWI certificate, and become un-AWS Certified.  As long as he / she is AWS Certified, the CAWI is the only person in the world who cannot perform some solo inspection function!  After there is no longer any AWS Certification, the person may once again perform any inspection function that the employer certifies him to perform.

There is no way to get around the QC-1 restriction.  The Certification Committee does not want there to be any loopholes.  All the scenarios that have been brought up time after time in this forum have not shown me any loophole that could get around the "...Visible and audible..." wording.  This is not the first time this topic has been brought up in this forum.

Many of us on the Certification Committee want to get rid of the CAWI.  The process if eliminating the CAWI is not a simple as it might seem to be.  I won't get into the reasons my motions to eliminate the CAWI do not pass the Committee vote.  If you have a more recent copy of the QC-1, you will see that we have limited the CAWI to only one three year term as a CAWI.  The next step, will be to eliminate it.

I hope that I have not further muddied the waters for you and js55.

Joe Kane
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-29-2010 19:47
Thanks Joe, between you and Al I think I understand better now.  And while reading your response and matching it up with the QC1 & B5.1 I see where you pull your info from.  Sometimes when something doesn't apply directly to me it is easily missed when I read through the documents.  With this question and all the discussion involved I hopefully know how to put it together now.

Looks like this one is going to take a good deal of your time.  Thanks for taking that time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-28-2010 23:19
Joe,
Please have the members of your committee read this thread!
We are the ones that deal with this useless (CAWI) certification and must deal with the confusion.
I hold several other certification and none of them have a junior grade. You either is or you aint.
AWS should get rid of the aint and just go with the is.
Hopefully speaking in this manner does not qualify me for a ethics violation.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 03:08
Curtis

I have tried to eliminate the CAWI in the past.  I will be trying again in three weeks.

However, I am sure you have heard of a Level 1.  There is an "Aint" certification.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 06-29-2010 00:44
Joseph P. Kane
Original Poster (O.P.) wrote
"A  CAWI witnessed a welder qualification test and a CWI signed the welder qualification record. The cwi did not witness the test, he was not at the shop that day. Is this the proper way to do this?"

I answered "  Too many unknowns to give a definitive answer.
If it was to AWS D1.1 then any designated representative of the employer could be enough."

You say that a CAWI no matter what is being unethical if they are inspecting welds with out a SCWI or a CWI within sight and sound? "CAWI's Violation-Working alone and unsupervised.  (Not in "...visible and audible range at all times...")"

Ethics is a philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

What about if a person has been doing inspection for a company to AWS D1.1 for years. That person has been reviewed and audited by numerous folks like D.O.T.and has been found through training and experience to qualify to do this inspection according to this Code. Why would it be unethical for the person to continue to do this for their employer after they went to AWS, took a three part test and because they were slow at turning pages and circumstances like not used to taking tests they didn't make a high enough score on the open book but for a CAWI, doesn't matter that they scored in the 80's and 90's on the other two parts?
I guess I will stir the pot with my my ¢¢'s and the QC-1 and B5.1.
The O.P. didn't say the CAWI Certified the results he said he witnessed them.

QC-1
States in the "Statement on the Use of American Welding Society Standards"
"In issuing and making this standard available, AWS is neither undertaking to render professional or other services for or
on behalf of any person or entity, nor is AWS undertaking to perform duty owed by any person or entity to someone
else. Employers and other persons utilizing the services individuals certified by AWS are responsible for determining
the qualifications, competence, and ability of those individuals.
This standard may be superseded by the issuance of new editions. Users should ensure that they have the latest edition.
Publication of this standard does not authorize infringement of any patent or trade name. Users of this standard accept
any and all liabilities for infringement of any patent or trade name items. AWS disclaims liability for the infringement of
any patent or product trade name resulting from the use of this standard.
Finally, the American Welding Society does not monitor or enforce compliance with this standard, nor does it have the
power to do so."

Also in the QC-1
4.4 The CAWI shall be able to perform inspections,
under the direct supervision of a SCWI or CWI within
visible and audible range, and as defined for the AWI as
in AWS B5.1, Specification for the Qualification of
Welding Inspectors. It is the SCWI or CWI, however,
who has responsibility for certifying that welded assemblies
conform to workmanship and acceptance criteria.

Then when we go to AWS B5.1 Specification for the Qualification of
Welding Inspectors                              
4. Functions
4.1 Duties. The employer shall define the welding inspector’s
specific duties.
4.1.1 AWI. The AWI shall be able to perform inspections,
under the active supervision of a SWI or WI. Supervision
should be within visible and audible range. The
SWI or WI, shall maintain the responsibility for determining
if welded assemblies conform to workmanship
and acceptance criteria
Notice in B5.1 the Specification uses the word Should not Shall for the proximity effect.

It is like you are comparing apples to oranges.

OP didn't give enough information especially for someone to cry ethics violation.

You are saying that a CAWI can not do what they have been trained to do because the didn't score high enough on a part of the test.
What is unethical about doing tasks assigned that you have been qualified for.
Publicly they may not be Certified to do certain things but for their employer I believe they are.

In the QC-1
11. Code of Ethics, Rules of Conduct,
and Practice
Preamble. In order to safeguard the health and well
being of the public and to maintain integrity and high
standards of skills, practice, and conduct in the occupation
of welding inspection, the American Welding Society
SCWIs, CWIs, and CAWIs shall be cognizant of the
following principles and the scope to which they apply,
with the understanding that any unauthorized practice is
subject to the Committee’s review and may result in suspension,
reprimand, or revocation of certification.
11.1 Integrity. The SCWI, CWI, and CAWI shall act
with complete integrity in professional matters and be
forthright and candid to their employer, the regulator or
employer’s customer, and with the Committee or its representatives,
on matters pertaining to this standard.
11.2 Responsibility to the Public. The SCWI, CWI, and
CAWI shall act to preserve the health and well being of
the public by performing duties required of welding
inspection in a conscientious and impartial manner to the
full extent of the inspector(s) moral and civic responsibility
and qualification. Accordingly, the SCWI, CWI,
and CAWI shall:
11.2.1 Undertake and perform assignments only when
qualified by training, experience, and capability.

Looking at 11.2.1 it doesn't say undertake and perform assignments only when qualified through Certification, it says by training, experience, and capability.
Again it is just my ¢¢'s.
Marshall
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 04:09
Marshall

The QC-1 is based on the AWS B5.1.  The B5.1 is the recommendations for the functions of the AWI, WI and SWI.  The QC-1 actually provides for the actual AWS Certification of the AWI to become a CAWI and the WI to become a CWI, Etc.  The B5.1, since it is a recommendation would use the "Should" wording.  The QC-1 uses mandatory wording, "Shall".  There should be no "...It is like you are comparing apples to oranges..." confusion.

Because the CAWI is certified by the AWS, we can place restrictions on his / her activities.  It does not matter who else says the work performed by the inspector before he / she is certified by AWS is acceptable, once you accept and own one of our certifications, you become obligated to our rules and restrictions.  If you cannot live by these restrictions, turn in your certificate, and the AWS restrictions no longer apply.  For AWS's part, the CAWI  is NOT QUALIFIED and FAILED the exam.  Why should AWS allow that person to represent himself a fully qualified by AWS, and to work alone?!?!?!

AS FOR YOUR... "What about if a person has been doing inspection for a company to AWS D1.1 for years. That person has been reviewed and audited by numerous folks like D.O.T.and has been found through training and experience to qualify to do this inspection according to this Code. Why would it be unethical for the person to continue to do this for their employer after they went to AWS, took a three part test and because they were slow at turning pages and circumstances like not used to taking tests they didn't make a high enough score on the open book but for a CAWI, doesn't matter that they scored in the 80's and 90's on the other two parts?
I guess I will stir the pot with my my ¢¢'s and the QC-1 and B5.1.
The O.P. didn't say the CAWI Certified the results he said he witnessed them."  
Puleezeeee!!!!! Stop quibbling!  Give us a break!!  If your inspector cannot pass the same test that 22,000 other CWIs have passed, let him / her turn in the CAWI certificate, and continue working the way he / she has been doing all along.  By the way, did you read the clause in the D 1.1 that says the "BASES" of qualification shall be documented?  What written test did your ace inspector pass?  I'll bet you didn't even read that part of Section six.  Sorry to be so sarcastic here, but your wording indicates challenge, and not fact finding.  If you want to challenge, join the Committee.  Volunteer your time and money.  When you do, you will probably develop a better sense of responsibility and respect for the CWI program and the process that generates it.

I disagree with your answer that there was not enough information given.  The OP said that the CAWI witnessed the test, and that the CWI was not present that day.  Then the CWI signed off the test that he did not witness.  There is enough information given to establish a prima facie ethics violation by both the CAWI and the CWI.

The  AWS does not have an Ethics requirement for the employer.  It may be a scurrilous act for the company to put the CAWI in a position where he / she has to violate the COE restriction for visible and audible range restriction, but the Ethics violation is a sin committed by the Certificate holder, and is not the responsibility of the employer.

The QC-1 Ethics requirements and certification limitations are not philosophical.  They are enumerated.  As a CAWI it is implied that you will adhere to the AWS restrictions on your certification.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 06-29-2010 19:21
Joe
Where in Clause 6 does it say an employer needs to administer a  test  before a person is qualified and able to inspect.
AWS D1.1 Clause 6 doesn't say that the contractors Inspector is required to take a test.
In 6.1.4 Inspector Qualification Requirements
6.1.4.1 Basis for Qualification
It says they shall be qualified and the bases of Inspector Qualification shall be documented. (doesn't say anything about tests given, a Company Procedure outlining requirements and a would be docu) Then it says that if the Engineer elects to specify the bases of Inspector Qualification it shall be so written in the contract documents.
Then it goes on to list three acceptable qualification basis, (3) An individual who by training,or experience, or both, in metals fabrication, inspection and testing, is competent to perform inspection of the work. (again no mention of test)
So let me ask you this
If I am an AWS CWI and I have developed PQR's and also wrote the WPS's based on the PQR's, according to you and your understanding of the QC-1, I would be in violation?

Marshall
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 21:12 Edited 06-29-2010 21:29
Marshall

You are correct. As written it does not require a written test.  I was transferring information from another discussion with Mr. Hardy Campbell, the previous D1 Secretary.  It was his opinion that the D1 Committee was implying that a written test was required.   How else do you determine competency in a manner to document it.  I suppose there are other ways.  However, in most licensure type qualification schemes, in most industrial fields, a written test is involved. 

So, absent something more specific, as long as it is documented, whatever base of qualification the employer and the customer agree on would be acceptable.

As to your question about writing WPSs as a CWI,  are you referring to this function as being described as the duties and functions of an SCWI?  We had this discussion within the last three years in Committee, and we agreed the answer would be no.  There is no violation.

Joe Kane
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 06-29-2010 21:28
Joseph P. Kane

Thank You

I will leave this alone, as my Granddaddy always said "boy you need to learn early which battles to fight and which to do a strategic retreat to fight another day".

As you mentioned before if I want to challenge, join the Committee.

Marshall
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 06-29-2010 02:51
I had a CAWI on a couple of my jobs, DSA work (California schools)...  Used him to hang angel wings, pull deck, and smoked all of his cigarettes.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 03:25
Duke

I am surprised that DSA allowed a CAWI to perform welding inspection or even bolting inspection!  OR - Did I just miss the sarcasm?!?!?!

Joe Kane
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-29-2010 03:08
Mr. Kane,

Is  it the opinion of you as a member of the Q&C comittee that witnessing and inspecting (as referred to by the QC1 document) are the same?

We have had the related discussion in another thread but am curious regarding the above.

And thanks for your time and input on  this and other matters.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 03:22
Gerald

The QC-1 document is based on the AWS B 5.1.  If you go the AWS B 5.1 qualification document, you will find the work duties normally performed by a "Witness" to a qualification test is listed in the functions of a welding inspector.  Therefore, for the AWS QC-1 CAWI, it is a duty that requires a CWI / SCWI supervisor within visible and audible range.

In pipe line welding, the Committee did once informally agree that a CAWI inspecting on one end of a double ended pipe section on a pipeline could be considered supervised by a CWI who was inspecting on the other end of that spool piece, even though they technically could not hear each other due to wind and machinery noise.   There, the visible range would still provide for the CAWI to motion for assistance.  We did not agree for this kind of separation in a shop, or between two shop buildings, or between the shop floor and an office.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-29-2010 03:47
Thanks. I will look at it that way to see if I can get it straight in my mind.

Interesting decision regarding the pipe but not applying it to another environment where the same level of communication could be acheived.

Thanks again
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 04:16
Gerald

Remember, I said that it was an informal agreement.  We sort of recognized that in most XC pipeline operations, outside, in the trench, might preclude being able to hear each other all the time due to wind and machinery noise.  We don't see the same conditions in a shop environment.  We only agreed that this allowance would only apply to a double ended spool, of approximately 80 feet.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-29-2010 11:45 Edited 06-29-2010 11:56
Joe,
Your imposition of the Code of Ethics is arbitrary. You haven't substantiated it. You simply disagreed with my position. And though I respect that and maintain the greatest respect for you it is my contention that that is the difficulty of your argument. Once the COE is imposed then it is easy to continue your argument but there is no evidence, no language, no codification, that the imposition of it is justified, or required.
The OP did not mention that the CWI utilized his CWI stamp in which case I might be pursuaded in some sense that there is a problem. I can possibly support the contention that once he utilizes the stamp that therefore the Code of Ethics can be imposed since at this point he is representing the official certification. By that act it is no longer arbitrary, IMO. But this was not stated by the OP(and even if it were the argument would still stand for those instances in which it wasn't the case). If the CWI did not represent himself as a CWI, and just happens to be a CWI, and was acting entirely within compliance of the contract, and the company manual and program wherein is the ethics violation?
This to me would not by unlike an ASME ANI/AI inspecting Boiler Code work and imposing nuclear requirements upon himself and his clients program simply because he carried the ANI certification as well. The imposition would be entirely arbitrary because if Section III were not imposed then it would not apply.

Having said this, I have no disagreement with you on the problem of fraudulent SNT-TC -1A programs though I have difficulty understanding why there would be such since TC-1A explicitly says it is voluntary, and therefore by saying you comply with it you haven't really said anything. There is difference between complying with TC-1A and imposing all of its requirements as mandatory, similar to CP-189. Which we do.

As for having CWI's even though we don't utilize the certification often it has several and important advantages. The knowledge gained by our employees for having participated in the program, the prestige and pride that comes with the accomplishment, and the marketing of our system to customers.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 14:18 Edited 06-29-2010 14:21
js55

I do not see anything arbitrary about the COE.  I did not impose it arbitrarily.  I had nothing to do with the original writing of the COE, as it was written well before my start on the Committee.  I have proposed several changes in it over the years that have or would have made it less severe.  Please remember, I do not impose anything on the QC-1 alone. I May propose something,but it has to go through the Subcommittee, and then also get approved by the Main Committee,and then by the Board of Directors.  I wrote the "...Visible and Audible..." wording in the QC-1, but it was wordsmithed by the Committee back then, and then ratified by the voting process and further approved by the Main Committee and finally approved by the AWS Board of Directors.  While I would have arbitrarily imposed it if I had the authority, things are really done through a committee process.  In this case, the committee recognized that AWS had a liability and an image problem caused by CAWIs working the same way as CWIs, and sought to remedy the problem without eliminating the CAWI certification in it's entirety.

The CAWI is part of AWS's program,and as such they have the right to impose limitation and conditions on their own program.  By implication, a person accepting certification to such a program would also be voluntarily acquiescing to abide by the limitations and conditions imposed by the program.  Legally (According to AWS Counsel) once you are a CWI, you cannot say "today I am going to do weld inspection, but because the contract documents do not require me to be a CWI, I am going to act as if I am not a CWI."   

Now, it seems that everyone who wants to use a CAWI alone, just does whatever they want, claiming they are acting as Level 2s or as other qualified persons.  They cite the contract documents that do not require any CWIs and the D1.1 Code that allows the use of non-certified inspectors.  Those contract requirements and the D1.1 Code are immaterial to the QC-1, and what working condition is permitted by it.  The "...visible and audible range..." wording was wordsmithed and thought to be direct and succinct enough back when it was written. 

If the OP's statement is factual, the use of a stamp would be immaterial.  If the act occurred as described, the CAWI acted improperly by not having supervision.   IF the CWI then signed it off as stated, he violated the COE.  I agree that I haven't "substantiated" it.  I wrote an answer based on the OP's statement.  If a COE Violation charge was brought on the basis of this post, more direct evidence would be required. 

Use of the stamp could be more evidence, but not necessarily damning.  I had a case where a CAWI allegedly changed his stamp from CAWI to CWI by getting a stamp made by a local print shop. In fact, a photocopy of a forged CWI card, that had the wrong signatures led me to file ethics  violation charges against the person.  After investigation, it turned out that his boss had the stamp made, and used it without the persons knowledge.  In fact, that person was no longer even a CAWI, the testing lab he worked for just fabricated the card and represented him as qualified, to the Transit Authority!  He did not know anything about the whole issue, except that he worked alone for a few years before his CAWI expired.  His work produce was faulty, and the Transit Authority had another person check him out.

The stamp is not a seal, so it's use has no legal implication, unless it is used improperly or fraudulently.  DSA in California and some of the DOTs used to require a CWI to sign off bolting inspection documents or paint inspection documents with their CWI number.  They made it a contractual requirement to be a CWI to perform these duties.  Compliance with this was not a violation of the COE, even though it would seem to be outside our realm of qualification.  DSA still requires it's Structural Steel and Welding Inspectors to be CWIs whether or not they are qualified by ICC.   

To me, the CAWI card is a "Hey!  I failed the exam and I am proud of it." badge.  I am always amazed when someone proudly possess it! 

Joe Kane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-29-2010 21:06
Joe,
So, are you saying (if you pardon the sarcasm) that if a company were to have a ligit VT Level II SNT-TC-1A (or CP-189) that has been inspecting for them for years and years, and is in full compliance with ASME and his company's Program, and customer contracts, and is an exemplary, conscientious, and honest employee, that if he were to go and take his CWI test and only qualify for CAWI (with say two 98's) now all of sudden according to AWS Lawyers what he is doing is unethical even though no requirement for a CWI has been imposed contractually?
Now there's a incentive for someone to take the risk.
Or better, be ethical and tell AWS to take their CAWI and shove where da sun don't shine and keep your job.
And the answer cannot be that having failed the level of success for CWI that he is incompetent to do inspection given the additional subject matter of which, though certainly of benefit to inspectors, is not critical. Clearly, there are thousands of fine inspectors who don't know diddly about transformation temps, arc physics, or A-scans, all of which were on my test.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 22:32
Js55

In my opinion, most NDT, done in accordance with training and certification to ASNT-TC-1A and CP-189. would not comprise a function of a CWI per B5.1 (Except Visual inspection).  So, in most cases, that inspector could continue to perform the NDT portion of the inspection work.  It would certainly be a gray area for me to pontificate on.  On one hand, say with MT there is usually some unavoidable aspect of visual weld inspection, but the actual NDT work is not covered by B5.1, or QC-1.  On the other hand, a volumetric process such as UT might inspect the  parts of a weld hidden from visual viewing. 

I honestly do not know how this question will play out in the Committee.

Joe Kane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-30-2010 11:43
Joe,
This disagreement has familiarity to me in that it seems somewhat similar to struggles I am having between what is considered inspection, testing, NDT, etc. as defined, or not, by ASME Section V, ASME B31 codes, ASME Section III, NQA-1, and 10CFR50, not to mention the D1 codes. When you try to simplify and establish a program to accomodate all of them it is a nightmare. So you are left with a confusion of programs or a completely rebuilt comprehensive one. Of which problems I have yet to solve completely.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-29-2010 21:43
Joe,
I didn't say the COE was arbitrary. I said imposing it without contractual criteria or requirements to do so makes imposing it arbitrary.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 22:19
Js55

Now I do not understand where the arbitrary imposition came from????  Does the implied contract with AWS that the CAWI assumes when he gets a certification in accordance with QC-1 count as arbitrary?!?!?!  Are you saying that the AWS published restrictions are arbitrary?

Joe Kane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-30-2010 11:37 Edited 06-30-2010 11:45
Joe,
I am saying that I do not agree with the philosophy that because someone happens to have a CWI certification that they necessarily always function as a CWI, any more than an AI who happens to also be an ANI always functions as an ANI. The function of such has to rely upon what the contract requires. If the contract requires a CWI function then the CWI designation kicks in. Or, as I stated earlier, if the CWI utilizes his stamp and therefore represents himself as a CWI, it kicks in as well.
If the contract does not impose a CWI function then he is operating as perhaps a VT II.
I understand that, as you stated, apparently AWS legal council disgrees. I wouldn't expect anything else from council representing an entity with a desitre to expand there 'turf', so to speak. And this is not meant as a disparagement. I believe the concerns for the viability of TC-1A are well founded (the Nuke utilities are requiring CP-189) and if AWS wishes to 'fill a void' then more power to them.
It is my opinion that if contract documents do not impose a requirement for CWI services then a CWI is not acting as a CWI. He is acting in whatever capacity the Company Quality Program imposes. Not unlike an EOR waving certain code requirements in which case the inspector is no longer bound by those requirements. It is all based upon what the contract states.
Now, the OP called this gentleman a CAWI. But the post description is not the contract. And we have not been told whether or not the contract required a CWI function.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-30-2010 12:51
js55

Perhaps I can be more succinct.  The contract specifications that are used for the inspection, are not germane to the issue. (I know you think it should be!)  The CAWI has conditions to abide by when he accepts the CAWI certification.  There is an implied contract with AWS and the AWS Certification Committee, that says he cannot inspect unsupervised.  That is the only contract that is germane here.

The solution is simple.  If you are a CAWI and you need to perform inspection while unsupervised (...in visible and audible range...Etc.) just turn in your CAWI card.  Then, you are no longer certified by AWS, and no taint can befall AWS.  You can then maintain your integrity, and work honorably.

As for the Legal ramifications;  If you are in a court room, and you plead ignorance of some fact, and it was pointed out that you had passed an examination that demonstrated knowledge of that fact, you would loose creditability. Thus, if an inspector was questioned as to why a defect was missed, and it was pointed out that he was Certified by AWS, what may be a simple error, or probability of detection error, becomes more like negligence,  An AI has broad leeway as to how much inspection he will perform before signing off a boiler.  The ANI has many more duties (Most of them codified by law).  An AI who applies ANI criteria to a non-nuclear application could find himself in trouble.  However, this is not the same issue.  The acceptance criteria for one type of project are different than the other.  As you point out, "...function of such has to rely upon what the contract requires...".  But if the ANI certified person was in court answering for some failure related to his AI duty, the opposition would surely be eager to point out the more impressive certification, and imply that  a greater standard of care could have been taken.   That is simplistic, but the appearance is nevertheless apparent to the unindoctrinated juror.  It would be difficult to say that the superior knowledge inferred to the ANI was not germane to the cause of the failure attributed to AI activity. So, AWS says that as a "Certified Associate Welding Inspector" you are only allowed to practice inspection under the direct supervision of a CWI.  In the court room situation, in principal, all the fault now lies with the CWI, because the CAWI was never certified to work alone.

Once again, although you might want the contract document requirements and the acceptance criteria to determine whether the CAWI could work alone in a given situation, it is not germane.  The implied contract that the CAWI has with AWS is germane.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2010 12:35
Joe,
It is my contention that your position can lead to serious difficuties if not logical absurdities.
If, as you say the CWI/CAWI is under contractual agreement with AWS in perpetuity, and if the COE is to be taken seriously, as I think we can agree it should be, I can offer some scenarios wherein I can see some problems. And please, these scenarios are real and to me cannot be laughed off as trivial, though some may certainly appear stronger than others.
My company employs 6 CWI's.
My company also has several fabrication facilities in different locations as well as a multitude of maintenance/construction/erection contracts and activities within many miles of our main office involving AWS, ASME, API, and NBIC requirements.
My company also employs people who have generally known each other for many years. Its a rather small community.
So let me offer some scenarios and see where this goes.
If one of my CWI's is in a manufacturing supervisory roll, does his obligation to the CWI COE in perpituity cause a conflict of interest?
If not how is it we can justify the suspension of the COE when we have established that it is not contingent upon contractual stipulation it is only contingent upon his being signatory to the CWI standards?
If you argue he is not operating as a CWI o rna inspector aren't you making my point?
I have people performing what we call a square up function wherein they run D and C's, do preliminary visuals on welds and grind repair whatever they may find such as insufficient penetration, verify materials, etc. this is then followed up by our official inspectors with VTII.
If at some point he becomes a CAWI and all of my CWI's regardless of their location become aware of his advancement, are all of my CWI's now in ethics violation?
If you argue that he is not involved in a signatory final inspection and therefore not operating as a CAWI aren't you again making my point?
Is this the case even if I add to his certification with a VTII so he can do final inspections?
Is the company in some sort of ethics violation?
How could they be? They are not signatory to AWS?
So then if the company is not in violation what is the CWI to do?
Quit?
Report the CAWI?
Should the CAWI report himself?
What if the CAWI is reported?
Is the time it takes for AWS to take action, if they take action, still considered an ethics violation for all of the CWI's if the activity is continued until the CAWI is suspended?
What if the CWI's agree with my position? Is there a definitive interpretation somewhere that clearly and succinctly clarifies these issues? I mean other than unofficial opinion from AWS legal council.

I suppose in final analysis in my opinion AWS either has to give up on this COE in Perpetuity argument or give up on the CAWI certification or else they will end up having to either ignore the situation or spiral into endless interpretation. Talk about perpetuity. Funny how if you impose such a thing you lose control of it.
But, it seems to me that even eliminating the CAWI cert does not solve all of the problems. The problem is in this idea of COE perpetuity taking precedence over project contracts. In other words this doesn't appear to me as an ethics issue. Its a closet turf issue.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-01-2010 17:27
js55

I see many good points in your scenarios.  I am not sure that I fully understand all of what you have written.  It could be very easy for me to misinterpret what you have written.  Even the word Perpetuity needs some clarification.  So, I cannot answer all of your points and questions.  I'm sorry if that seems to be a cop-out!

I also have to stress that any answer that I would give would be an expression my opinion, albeit somewhat informed due to my Committee work.  I am not giving you the official position of the AWS  

Having said that, I would also stipulate that there are many gray areas in the COE obligations to the QC-1.  You make some valid arguments here.

I also see the conundrum for the manager who just happens to be a CWI, but who like all managers must cut corners.. He is always open to the ethical question "When does corner cutting become cheating and therefore participating in a dishonest venture?"  When AWS was developing the Certified Fabricator program, the Subcommittee was going to include the whole QC-1 COE verbatim.   Now, I know that all manufacturers and fabricators are not equal, and must cut corners to survive. Many times they have to really really, really cheat, and hope they do not get caught.  What is the CWI or any person obligated to any COE to do?!?!  "Sorry Boss, I have to resign, because I cannot go along with what you are telling me to do?  OR Do you just go-along-get-along and say "Just Ship it!".   Ethics considerations can become very murky in this situation.  To me, the managerial function is separate from the inspection function, so the COE would be set aside.  However, I can tell you that others on the Certification Committee do not agree with my assessment!  They point out that the obligation to avoid dishonest ventures is black letter COE!

I do understand the "Logical absurdity" of a suddenly restricting a person from performing  an inspection function that he may have performed satisfactorily for a decade while he was certified under a legitimate SNT-TC-1A "IN House" certification program.  The answer to that is; #1, His implied contract with AWS says that he will not work alone.  His work now reflects on the AWS by virtue of the AWS Certification, and that is one of the reasons that QC-1 has this stipulation.  #2, Although you maintain that he was competent to perform this work under your TC-1A program, you now have prima-facie evidence that he may no longer be so competent.  Does your TC-1A program provide for periodical evaluation or remedial training?  #3, You have pointed out that your contract specifications only require SNT-TC-1A training and qualification, and the CAWI certification was not necessary.  The real issue is that there is still a contractual obligation between the CAWI and the AWS.  Why not just surrender the CAWI (Send it all back to Miami with a letter declining the certification)?

In my personal opinion, persons performing the D&C checks prior to QC inspection, if they are not CAWIs, are really performing a manufacturing or fabrication "In Process Checking" function.  This is somewhat like a welder (even one who is a CAWI ) inspecting his own weld before calling for QC inspection.   I do not believe that the "...Visible and Audible ..." restriction applies in these cases.  However, if the Checkers were part of the final QC process, they would be obligated to the supervision requirement if they were CAWIs.  However this is quite different from witnessing a procedure or performance qualification test.  Yes, even this opinion could be considered somewhat absurd.  Does everyone who initials a traveler sheet have to be considered to be participating in the QC program?!?!?

I have said in more than one post;  The company is not obligated to the QC-1 COE.  The COE is only binding on the individual who holds the certificate.  There may be other legal and ethical ramifications for a company caught on the periphery of these problems, but it has no direct connection to QC-1.

The only real solution that can remove AWS and the Certification Committee from the multiple individual scenarios that are often so vague and convoluted, is that AWS must get rid of the CAWI certification.

Finally, I do not agree that there is any sinister or disingenuous  "Closet Turf" issue here.  That is rather insulting.  The volunteers who make this program all put their heart and soul (And their own money) into making a solid program that they hope will serve all the certificate holders and protect their good names.

Joe Kane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2010 21:28
Joe,
Perhaps 'closet turf' was not a well chosen phrase. No personal insult was intended. The sincerity of this can be validated by the fact that I have many friends who do volunteer work for ASME committees and I will not hesitate to be scathingly critical of ASME committees. Seen the members do so themselves. Many times. At worst it may determine who buys the beers that night.  :)
Your repsonse will indeed be one I copy and paste for save since these issues do strike a chord. The issues have been clarified greatly and it is my assessment at this time that perhaps we do not disagree as much as may appear.
I appreciate your aknowledgement of the problems inherent in the CAWI certification and the time you spent in response.
Besides, were I to find myself in the situation of a troublsesome CAWI cert it would not be a bad idea to perhaps return the CAWI cert in person in January and stop in at committee.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-29-2010 12:19
Joe,
Get with Ross and see if a poll could be produced on the forum and see what the members of the forum think about continuing or eliminating the CAWI. I think it would be interesting to see what the forum members vs. the AWS committee members think of this level of certification.
Also if the members are still wanting to continue, eliminate the wording direct supervision and just make it supervision. I believe the intent was to have a certification level where one could learn and progress into a full CWI. After all a CWI does not have to work under the direct supervision of a SCWI. But human nature being what it is, a company has a CAWi and all they see is CWI.
I for one am in full support of eliminating the CAWI. None of the API certifications allow for jr designation and I look at the CWI as being on the same level as a API cert vs a ASNT level certification.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-29-2010 14:11
Joe,
I am really struggling to understand this "visible and audible range" ?
What is the difference between "visible and audible" and being 100 miles away ?
Surely every time a CWI signs off on anything a CAWI has inspected he is in breach of the code of ethics ?
If the CWI has not personally inspected something himself how can he sign off on work that has been inspected by an "unqualified" inspector ?

"Bob" the CWI and "Dave" the CAWI are inspecting structures in a yard (within visual and audible range) and Dave marks up some porosity and points it out to Bob for his report but due to his lack of knowledge/experience he misses a couple of nasty arc strikes.
Bob signs the structures off as acceptable and the structures go into service - one of the arc stikes turns into a crack and a major failure occurs which leads to a full on investigation.
First question from the lawyer - "Bob, did you visually inspect every weld on this structure ?"
Bobs reply "No, Dave and I inspected them"
The Lawyers next question would be "Bob, what qualifications does Dave hold or what tests has he passed to show he is competent to perform these inspections"
Bobs reply - "Well he failed the required test and he holds no qualifications but AWS have deemed it is OK as long as I can see or hear him while he is doing his inspections"

I am not an AWS CWI - I am dual certified to CBIP (New Zealand) and CSWIP (British/European)
If I visually inspect a yard full off structures with another CWI I cannot and will not sign off on items I have not personally inspected (no matter how confident I am in his ability) - it is a clear breach of ethics. I will write my report based on what I inspected and he will do the same and we will both sign and stamp our reports.
How then can AWS deem it acceptable for a CWI to sign off on work visually inspected by a CAWI if the CWI has never personally inspected it ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2010 16:29 Edited 06-29-2010 16:35
Shane

I Agree with the question you pose.  My first response is that as the responsible CWI, you should have checked the whole of the inspected area along with the CAWI, or re-checked it, or even have checked it before the CAWI checked it.

Although AWS has never said this, the CAWI is essentially a trainee / apprentice, and the CWI is essentially the mentor / instructor / checker.  How much you the CWI wish to risk your reputation will dictate how much actual inspection you will do.  Contract requirements will also dictate how much checking / re-checking you will do.

I usually get accused of over inspecting because I use a fillet gauge to inspect every inch of the weld.  (In reality, I really may only be checking every 6 inches or so.)  Fortunately,  I have only been in the position of checking on a CAWI one time in my carreer, and I went over every inch of the weld with him.   He also witnessed a welding procedure qualification test with me.  Part of his job was to record the pass and layer and travel speed data.  I kept my own record of the passes and the travel speed in each pass. My record is the one we submitted because he missed two of the 43 passes.  I only verified the Volts and Amps once during the test, and relied on his more frequent checks.

I did make sure that there were no machine adjustments during the test, but small deviations in electrical stickout can cause volt and amperage variations.  I relied on verifying the electrical stickout, and left monitoring the machine gauges to him.

In this case, I was a QA third party inspector, and If I had not been there, the company QC CWI and the CAWI were going to allow one of the passes to remain, which was accidently run at twice the nominal travel speed.  In this case, the contract documents required the heat input and the travel speed to remain within the code limits for each pass.  In this case, There was nothing dictating how much activity I had to perform.  I signed off the work as my own, because it was all my own. 

If I was on another type of project where I was supervising a CAWI, and I had relied on that CAWI, and only casually or intermittently re-checked his work, I would have noted that on my report.   I still would have a detailed list of the inspection that I was directly responsible for.   In such a case, the customer would have approved of the use of CAWIs and the sample reinspection activity. If they had not approved, they would at least know that my employer did because of the wording in my report.  If the customer was unhappy with just an intermittent reinspection,or the sampling plan approach, the project would have to be reinspected to cover the areas that were not adequately covered.

I once turned down a job with a company that wanted me to fly all over the world signing off welded fabrications after just a spot check of the work.  Even today, when I am assigned to inspect work that has been started and many times completed before I was present, I am sure to write enough disclaimer into my report to let everyone know the circumstances of the job.  Another time I was tasked with signing off all the welds on a whole prison fabrication that had been inspected by a solo CAWI for more than two years.  After the most cursory look at the workmanship in the last load of steel weldments, I refused, and charged the CAWI with an ethics violation.  I even tried to charge the CAWS's  CWI employer with an ethics violation, but that was disallowed.  I also refused to go out in the field and re-inspect the welds that were not already covered up by masonry and concrete. I felt that the customer was suddenly aware of the inadequacy of the inspection that he had previously gone along with, and it was now scrambling to pretend it was complying with it's own rules.  Where I live, the inspector is always the first to be blamed, when something goes wrong.

By the term "visible and audible range" we mean that you must be in close proximity, yet is is impossible to actually dictate how close you would have to be in all the different shop or work site conditions, and write that down in QC-1.   So, we come up with wordsmithed statements, that the committee believes succinctly and adequately  expresses the will and intent of the Committee.   In many cases, the wording can be improperly interpreted, be misunderstood, and even be challenged.  So for some of  those cases, the Committee may issue further explanation of it's intent.

Finally, "Probability of Detection" science shows that even with the best trained and most conscientious inspectors, a certain percentage of defects will be missed on inspection.  Your arc strike that leads to a fatal crack has actually happened more than once.   So, while full inspection by a fully qualified inspector is best, it is not always,if ever, perfect.

Joe Kane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-30-2010 03:51 Edited 06-30-2010 03:54
The requirements of QC1 and the conditions attached to holding a certification under the auspices of QC1 are clear in my mind.

The program is voluntary, i.e., no one is holding a gun to the individuals head saying he has to be qualified to QC1 if the individual is already performing the functions of a visual inspector. If a person takes the CWI examinations and fails, he has demonstrated the ability to fail the tests for one reason or another. He turned the pages too slowly, he sat on a wad of bubble gum and he could not concentrate, he pissed his pants, whatever the cause, he failed to score high enough on the test to qualify as a CWI. He can continue to function as a visual inspector independent of direct supervision under the auspices of his previous qualifications, just not under the auspices of QC1. If the restrictions imposed by QC1 interfere with current job assignments the solution is so simple and clear a person would have to be catatonic not to recognize it. Simply do not accept the CAWI certification. Send it back to Miami. There is no foul, no error, and no danger of running amuck of the code of ethics.

If the client accepts certification to some scheme other than QC1, all is well. There is no need to carry the CAWI wallet card or to participate in the QC1 program. SNT-TC-1A may be the better option if the individual does not meet the requirements of QC1 or if the code of ethics is something the individual simply cannot abide by. The written practice developed per SNT-TC-1A allows the employer to include the functions of the shop janitor as acceptable work experience and the test may be as simple as “Can you identify a good weld if you saw one?” An affirmative answer gets you the job. If the customer is satisfied the written practice is adequate the game is on.

There are certifications for every occasion and for every level of knowledge and understanding. Sometimes the individual simply has to find the right path to follow to reach the desired objective. You too can be a certified ---fill in the blank---. “Bent Nose Joe” on the corner will print you a certification for any occasion if  the price is right. As long as your customer is satisfied, all is well. Whether “BNJ’s” certification is recognized by “industry” is another problem altogether.

The certifications issued in accordance with the AWS QC1 standard has conditions attached. Those conditions have stood the test of time over the last thirty plus years. The examinations are not easy nor should they be easy. The code of ethics places certain responsibilities on the person holding the certifications. If a person cannot or will not abide by the principals of the program, then they simply should not participate in the program. The program clearly makes the code of ethics  applicable in all the activities of the certified individual, not just when they are invoked by a contract, by a code, or when they are convenient. 

Most of the “cases” I have read are nit-picking bull-****, nothing more than thin attempts to justify convenient “work- arounds” that clearly violate the intent and purpose of QC1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2010 19:32
Joe,
Let me begin by saying that I do not have any CAWI's in my employ and do not have an intent to do so. And yes of course the solution to clear up the very real logical difficulties is clear. To turn in the CAWI certification. And were it to be the result of any testing paid for by my company I would verify that this was indeed done. In the end I would not only have no use for it but it would get in the way, and the expense would be chocked up to experience.

As for the original poster it is clear that since the terms used were CAWI and CWI I would agree wiht you that there is a clear ethics violation with the activities as they are explained. I would also agree 100% that the CAWI cannot inspect, cannot verify procedure quals, etc., without CWI supervision as determined by the standard.

I appreciate your time.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification Test