Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A rose.....Part two
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-27-2010 12:16
I debated on whether or not to start a new post for this. I finally got the rose painted. I wanted to do a patina, then checked the price of materials and this simple rose was getting simply EXPENSIVE!
I ended up getting a copper leafing type paint. I sandblasted it and then sat down and painted it. After it was all done I kept telling my wife I was gonna sandblast off that finish because I really don't like it. However, after a run on facebook and dragging it around with me to places there are alot of folks who like this color. It kind of grows on you and as the days go by it seems to tone down a bit, not as bright as the first day. I believe this paint has real ground copper in it so I'm hoping in time it will turn. Maybe a day or two outside in this wicked humidity we have up here will speed up the process!! Now I'm ready to get back into the shop and make more. Told my wife I want to get a small vase and make one that stands up out of it, although the vase will have to have lead in the base so the rose don't tip it over! So, without further delay I'll shut up, here's my rose all done.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-27-2010 12:51
Shawn,
  Very nice, I like it.

jrw159
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-27-2010 13:05
Looks very good to me as well.  Nice work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 06-27-2010 13:24
Thats one hell of a business card! I know that there are places around that look for guys who can do this kind of stuff. I saw an ad about a year ago for a weldor who would be working on a sculpture in New York. That definitely takes patience. Very nice indeed.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-27-2010 14:12
At 18 I never thought I'd have the patience to do something like this. At 39 it's a different story. I seem to get lost in the work and the only thing that ticks me off is I don't get radio stations up on this hill so I have to change out cds all the time while making this. But then again, I usually get caught up in the work and don't even realize the cd ended!

Again, thank you for the great comments. Yeah, the color is starting to grow on me. The last picture is one my wife took, she has a good photographic eye. She has the patience to set it up with a background, lighting and all that jazz. That last picture really is what is changing my view of the color and making it to where I think, maybe it's not so bad.
Parent - By sparksandslag (**) Date 06-28-2010 03:00
Don't want to sound like a pimply-faced teenager, but that sucker is AWESOME!!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-02-2010 05:02
Love that flower!

Seems like every town I visit (but not my own) has a historical park with an old coal/wood forge and a couple old grandpaws leading a club and goin at it with hammer and tongs...  I just want one of those old guys to sit with and watch and show me the old ways...   Prolly gonna build a forge this semester, Just a little one on wheels. Really coviting a forge.

I'm learning alot with our English wheel and a shotbag, as well as a nice Kick-shrinker/stretcher.   Our new Anoka Powerhammer is still pretty mysterious to me,,,  Just can't get it to shape right..  Takes a big time investment.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 07-02-2010 10:42
If you ever get down this way you should go to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge.They do alot of Blacksmithing,and they are quite good.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-03-2010 01:39 Edited 07-03-2010 01:43
What do You plan on using for fuel? it makes a little difference in firepot design. Soft coal works well in a firepot about 4-6" deep, coke firepots are a bit deeper. I believe charcoal will work OK in a 4-6" deep firepot, but I haven't tried it, soft coal is easy to get here in Pa. If smoke will be an issue, don't use soft coal.

Is Your powerhammer a sheetmetal hammer or a forging hammer? I am not familliar with the brand.

There are many blacksmithing groups throughout the midwest. You just missed a great event in Tipton, Indiana, including forging a blacksmith post vice using a 200# steam hammer. I missed it too, the guy I hoped to ride & camp with has a really small cramper, and it isn't really set up for more than 1 person yet.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-03-2010 04:15
Dave

I'm still in the dream stages for forges... But I'm going to save your post because I diddn't even know the differences you mentioned.

My powerhammer is for sheet..  Same kind Ron Kovel uses...  Right now I'm trying to master shrinking dies with it.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-04-2010 03:42
If You can get to Troy Ohio in September, SOFA Quad State is a really good blacksmithing conference, one of the best. Not expensive, and You can camp on the grounds [county fairgrounds].

Those sheetmetal hammers are a whole different ball of wax.I would like to see one in operation some time.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-29-2010 00:03
Looks good to Me too.

Some people use guilder's paste and then clear coat as an alternative to a one color paint, but for outdoor exposure, nothing holds up like paint.
- - By hillbilly (**) Date 06-29-2010 02:58
If it does have copper in the paint, take it out back and "make water" on it. The fluid from you're system will really bring out the patina on copper. Just don't tell anyone that wants to hold it afterwards haha.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-30-2010 03:23
The old reliable "PeeTina" :-)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-04-2010 04:48
"Peetina" LMFAO!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A rose.....Part two