Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tig, AC and HF on steel?
- - By Mike W (**) Date 08-13-2002 01:04
Hi, I know that ac and continous high frequency is used on aluminum, and dc with hf only for starting is used on steel. I have never seen an explantion of why ac and continous hf could not be used on steel. Application would be on thin gauge body metal. Thanks
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 08-13-2002 10:41
Hi Mike,
I don't believe there is anything that says you can't use continous HF on steel, it is just not necessary.
Aluminum is one of many "film protected" materials. Al achieves it's corrosion resistance because of a natural reaction between the Al and the O2 in the air, forming a thin film on the surface. Like most film protected materials, the thin layer of protection has a substantially higher melting temperature than the Al alone, and needs to be removed prior to welding.
While grinding or sanding would seem like a suitable means of removing the film, the film returns almost instantanously.
AC (Alternating Current) provides the cleaning action necessary to remove the film, and as the cleaning action occurs under the gas shield, which excludes the O2, the film doesn't reform until the gas shield is removed.
DC (Direct Current) is generally used with steel because there is no film protection that needs to be removed, and hence no cleaning action is required, at least not at the level that AC provides.
Unless your really worried about Tungsten contamination, then you don't need HF for steel. Scratch start( means just what you'd think. You scratch the Tungsten across the surface to initiate the arc) and lift arc ( you touch the Tungsten to the steel and the arc is initiated as you lift off) provide an acceptable means of arc iniation without the need for HF.
GTAW is a rather high heat input process, potentially leading to a lot of distortion, especially on thin gauge body metal. Have you given any thought to GMAW, or more specifically, short-arc(GMAW-S)? GMAW-P(pulse arc) perhaps?
I have personally had good luck with distortion using 100% CO2, .045" 70-S2, 21V, 100A.
Hope this helps
Dale Simonds
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 08-14-2002 01:27
Thanks for the input Dale. Speaking of distortion on thin metal, I have had better luck with the Tig. I once had to make a repair on a truck body where fueling doors used to be. I made repair panels that fit perfectly. I used GMAW-S with very short beads trying to limit heat input. When I was done, the shrinkage caused the surrounding metal to distort. Had a heck of a time getting the metal back out. Also, I always end up with too much metal to grind off. The Tig bead is softer I think, and you have better control of the metal you put into the weld. Just my 2 cents.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tig, AC and HF on steel?