Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Phoenix area inspectors
- - By Jesse Dyffryn Date 07-02-2010 03:09
I’m looking for employers of welding inspectors in the phoenix area. I’m a disabled vat trying to get some paper work filled out so that the VA will help me out with the training that is needed. So if any one knows of an employer of welding inspectors in the Phoenix area please let me know. The only one I’ve found is Western Tech. and the VA wants me to get info from at least 5 employers.
And could someone correct me if I’m wrong, NDT and weld inspection are not the same thing, right?

Thanks for your help

Jesse
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-02-2010 17:29
Welds can be inspected by either destructive and non destructive methods. Radiograph, visual and UT are methods of non destructive testing. Cutting coupons and bend them is a method of destructive testing.
NDT can be used in other industries besides welding.
WT may be the only company in Phoenix that does contract inspection, but almost any large fabrication or steel erection company will have at least one CWI. Also as you are military Weston Solutions in San Antonio and Cape Environmental in Atlanta use a lot of CWI's on their projects on bases and military facilities. KBR may have some, but they generally sub that out to smaller firms.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-04-2010 05:18
Canyon State inspection is another one I dealt with when I worked in Phx!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-02-2010 19:48
Jesthe,

Look to local AWS section for contacts...  You can find them through the links at AWS.org

They would be happy to serve you and the section meetings are great for information and professional contacts
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-02-2010 21:31 Edited 07-02-2010 22:00
The AZ section of the AWS is going through some changes currently do to the size (the entire state of AZ with most members in the Phoenix area but meetings held in Tucson) of our section.  Difficult to get participation from folks that have to drive 4 hrs to where the meetings are held (like me, 4 to Tucson; more to Las Vegas; even more to most CA sites- last two are in our District but obviously not my section).

We are setting up both a web site and our own banner under the 'Sections' links in the AWS Forum but they are not currently available.

I will get some info together and send you some contacts in the Phoenix area but most are small operations. 

Western Technologies does many aspects of inspections of all areas of construction and USUALLY has at least one welding inspector in larger areas like Phoenix. 

A couple that do come to mind:  Inland Inspection & Consulting; Welding Inspection Services.  If you have trouble finding them let me know.  I'll get you the contact info.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

I believe PNL Test and Simula Technologies also have operations in Phoenix.
Parent - - By Jesse Dyffryn Date 07-02-2010 22:53
I would greatly appreciate the info on the smaller operations if you could.  It would be beyond appreciated really.

Thanks

Jesse
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-03-2010 03:01
Of the above, Welding Inspection Services is a very small operation.  I will get you Scott's contact info.

I'll see who else I can find.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By raptor34 (**) Date 07-02-2010 16:10
They as far as I am concerned are the same thing,  NDT does cover more than welding inspection but it is primarily used for that purpose.
- - By jbndt (**) Date 07-05-2010 20:32
Here's a couple more ...
You'll have to cut and paste as it's not showing it as a link in the preview.

http://ndthand.tripod.com/study/id14.html

Cheers,
jb

Though it appears to when posted???
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2010 21:19
Jim,

I need to send you an e-mail.  Got a question for you.  I'll have to switch to my other computer, don't have you on this one.

Later.  Sorry for the hijack.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Phoenix area inspectors